over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

side lateral raises

You shouldnt have to go down much Ali. He has me doing them and I actually was using more weight with single arm laterals then I was regular ones in a about 2-3 workouts.

I will give this variation a try. Are you basically holding on to a something with the non working hand to keep your balance?

I was using around 50-60's a year ago, but had huge fronts, huge rears and little bumps for sides. My training partner/mentor taught me how to do them right .. I had to drop down to the 15's/20's for 3 sets of 8 and they were hard. Last Saturday, 8-10 months later, I did a PR workout of the 60's for 8 reps with full contraction and no releasing of the tension on the side delt. Now all 3 heads of my shoulder match and they are easily my best bodypart.

My bro told me your shoulders were freakin huge

Anyone..

Have a video clip of them performing the laterial raises Phil H. style?

It would be cool to see each of the movements he approves done to ensure were doing them 100% correctly. Post them if you got them

I will give this variation a try. Are you basically holding on to a something with the non working hand to keep your balance?

yes, ill just hold onto the side post of a squat rack, smith machine, or cable machine, whatever is available and close. ive been doing 1 handed side laterals for a while now. its a lot harder to cheat. and because your only doing 1 hand, its easier to focus on what your doing and get perfect form

I really see side raises or laterals as a defining excercise, moreso than mass. I usually perform 12-15 reps with low weight, generally in the 25-30 range.

Yep, thats it Ali. Just lean out at about a 45-60 degree angle. Phil says raise it up to just below or right at chin level then back down to where the dumbell is straight down...not all the way to your thighs. This keeps constant tension on your delts.

Whats the benifit.............

Of doing the side laterals, but taking the weight all the way up to above your head. Almost in a circular movement? I see alot of boxers, or fighters using these laterals.

When looking at the line of pull as well as the strength curve of the deltoid, it is comparatively speaking stronger when the arm is down at your side but weaker near the contracted position with your arm at shoulder/chin level.

With regular standing lateral raises, you will have the least tension in the bottom and the most tension at the top - hence being limited by what your deltoids can handle in their weakest position.

A simple solution is the lying side lateral (about a 30-45 degree angled bench), now you provide a more even tension curve and give the muscle more tension in the bottom where it is stronger. The feel on these are simply incredible with the 25lbs'ers compared to the heave-and-ho 50lbs standing laterals (as already mentioned here by Max32).

I also suggest pointing the thumbside of the DB a little upwards to avoid impingement of the humerus into the acromiom, and to rotate your scapula more favorably.

Years ago i came across an article that stated on many individuals the medial delt is located more posterior than anterior.I found that this was also the case for me.To remedy this i started doing Laterals bending slightly forward,about 20 degrees.I started making gains again and haven`t had pain in my delts for years,i`ll be 53 this year. I warm up with 2 sets of 25 using only 5 pounds then it`s 2 giant sets of 20 down to 10 reps with 25,35,45,55`s and 35,45,55 and 65`s....brutal but effective.

SAME HERE

Years ago i came across an article that stated on many individuals the medial delt is located more posterior than anterior.I found that this was also the case for me.To remedy this i started doing Laterals bending slightly forward,about 20 degrees.I started making gains again and haven`t had pain in my delts for years,i`ll be 53 this year. I warm up with 2 sets of 25 using only 5 pounds then it`s 2 giant sets of 20 down to 10 reps with 25,35,45,55`s and 35,45,55 and 65`s....brutal but effective.

I actually do these as well as one arm and the other ways,(mix it up)... say what you want about them not being effective, but I have been doing presses and laterals for years and my shoulders are one of my best bodyparts

The Jay Cutler raise looks like a good movement, watch how he does them on youtube.

I can use the 65lbs dumbells (both arms) for 10-12 good reps with strict form. I've always liked that exercise. :)

I do lat raises (seated) to change it up. I don't use a lot of weight (well, I never use a lot of weight for anything really)....maybe 40s for a 6-8 set (I pyramid up). I try to keep the elbows leading the movement and minimize any "bounce".

I work shoulders and chest on the same day so I think my chest exercise beats up on my delts. Sometimes I want to give "heavy" shoulder work a break and do a more chill exercise like lat raises.

I would like to see what Dat and Phil have to say about this topic. Fellaz? :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131