over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Skin Cancer

Newman

Registered
I was reading up on Canthaxanthin to find something more info to add to the recent thread on that topic, but I found a technical site stating that it can be very dangerous to peoples health. As in, potentially causing hepatitus. So much for that product...

So, then I remembered reading somewhere that Plectranthus Barbatus (AKA Colues Forskoli, AKA Indian Coleus) was used for a feedstock for a popular spray-on tanning product. In my research on Plectranthus, I found a greatly insightful page at the University of Kentucky site. It gives some pretty interesting & practical insight into the causes & prevention of skin cancer. Here's that page:

**broken link removed**

I actually have some Plectranthus Barbatus growing in my living room. They say it's an annual, but I raised it from seed last winter & it thrived through the spring & summer & has survived the relative darkness & coldness of this winter without showing any significant dormancy. In fact, the damn thing was getting so big & bushy I had to prune the hell out of it to keep it a reasonable size.

I hope you guys find that research article as interesting as I did.

Bumping 4 input.

Nobody here cares about about the long term health effects of U.V. tanning?

If your worried about skin cancer get checked by a doctor 2 times a YEAR! Also avoid tanning beds and make sure to put on sunblock when outside. My doctor said your chances of developing skin cancer are greater if you get sunburns when your younger rather then older.
Also, based on what my dermatologist said, the faux tan you can put on at home is not bad for you and if anything, it might darken some of your moles.

I have completely different opinions on skin cancer as they relate to tanning so I tend to not post about it much because I get a lot of people arguing with me about how stupid I am. My opinions contradict the last poster, as an example.

ADD: I should have read that post closer because some of what the poster said, I do agree with. That was my fault for skimming the first part of the post. I don't believe that tanning in moderation causes skin cancer, burning does. For those that don't believe this, explain to me how it is that skin cancer rates are not highest closer to the equator or in the warmer climates where more people are outside. Skin cancer rates are higher in areas where fair skinned people have exposure to the sun and burn. Oh, this could get ugly...

Skip

Last edited:
I can tell that neither of you guys actually read the research article.

Genetically dark skinned people don't get skin cancer, light skinned people trying to trick their genetics do. If you read the article, then you'd know that.

Forskolin actually repaired the missing DNA messages that tell ligher skinned people how to make their skin darker. It was proven by genetically altered mice and mirrors what we see in human populations.

By the way, equatorial areas are mostly populated by genetically dark skinned people, so saying that people in equatorial regions don't get skin cancer doesn't prove that whites are safe to tan...

Tanning beds have been proven to cause skin cancer. If your body already has some scary cancer cells lurking around a sure way to find them is to go jump in a tanning bed. The tanning rays will disable your own bodies natural defence against cancer cells. Sure it does not happen to everyone. Just like some people will smoke for 50 years and never get lung cancer.

We all have been told too the skin damage was done while we were all young and burning before our parents had a clue about sun screen. I would hope the last 20 years parents have done a better job and we will have less skin cancers with the next generations. Just a thought:)

I was reading up on Canthaxanthin to find something more info to add to the recent thread on that topic, but I found a technical site stating that it can be very dangerous to peoples health. As in, potentially causing hepatitus. So much for that product...

So, then I remembered reading somewhere that Plectranthus Barbatus (AKA Colues Forskoli, AKA Indian Coleus) was used for a feedstock for a popular spray-on tanning product. In my research on Plectranthus, I found a greatly insightful page at the University of Kentucky site. It gives some pretty interesting & practical insight into the causes & prevention of skin cancer. Here's that page:

**broken link removed**

I actually have some Plectranthus Barbatus growing in my living room. They say it's an annual, but I raised it from seed last winter & it thrived through the spring & summer & has survived the relative darkness & coldness of this winter without showing any significant dormancy. In fact, the damn thing was getting so big & bushy I had to prune the hell out of it to keep it a reasonable size.

I hope you guys find that research article as interesting as I did.

The Canthaxathin will turn you orange anyway. Try some MT2 if you want to get tan.

The Canthaxathin will turn you orange anyway. Try some MT2 if you want to get tan.

Turning orange is one thing, but having liver dammage is a whole different thing.

I hear you on the peptide tanning thing. It's very good option. Forskolin is also good.

I have completely different opinions on skin cancer as they relate to tanning so I tend to not post about it much because I get a lot of people arguing with me about how stupid I am. My opinions contradict the last poster, as an example.

ADD: I should have read that post closer because some of what the poster said, I do agree with. That was my fault for skimming the first part of the post. I don't believe that tanning in moderation causes skin cancer, burning does. For those that don't believe this, explain to me how it is that skin cancer rates are not highest closer to the equator or in the warmer climates where more people are outside. Skin cancer rates are higher in areas where fair skinned people have exposure to the sun and burn. Oh, this could get ugly...

Skip

Study: Tanning beds definitely cause skin cancer

Study: Tanning beds as deadly as arsenic - Health - Cancer - msnbc.com

Study: Tanning Beds Substantially Raise Skin Cancer Risks : NPR

Tanning Beds Triple Melanoma Risk

Related Citations for PubMed (Select 20507845) - PubMed result

Do you think those chemical laden sunscreens are good for your skin and actually protecting you?? Better think again..

1. Minimize exposure time: some exposure (15 to 20 minutes daily during peak hours 10 to 2) is definitely majorly beneficial for optimal vitamin D uptake to say the least..

2. Seek out a non toxic sunscreen.. I personally use this one.. Mexitan All Natural Products

Do you think those chemical laden sunscreens are good for your skin and actually protecting you?? Better think again..

1. Minimize exposure time: some exposure (15 to 20 minutes daily during peak hours 10 to 2) is definitely majorly beneficial for optimal vitamin D uptake to say the least..

2. Seek out a non toxic sunscreen.. I personally use this one.. Mexitan All Natural Products

ZInc and titanium dioxide are non chemical sunscreens which actually remain on top of the skin and do not penetrate, they are all natural of course and there are other brands with these two actives

ZInc and titanium dioxide are non chemical sunscreens which actually remain on top of the skin and do not penetrate, they are all natural of course and there are other brands with these two actives

Don't try to confuse him with facts! He knows what he's feeling! LOL!

I'm in agreeance with skip. Watch the burning, no need to be afraid. The main problem is a lack of utilizable fat in the skin to transform the rays into vit d. Now as for tanning beds being worse than tanning outside I dont know about the concentrated ray difference but again just watch out for burning.

I'm in agreeance with skip. Watch the burning, no need to be afraid. The main problem is a lack of utilizable fat in the skin to transform the rays into vit d.

So, you're saying that skin cancer is more a result of a dietary lipid deficiency than exposure to UV rays?

Considering the current obesity epidemic, I'm sorta doubting that I's a fat deficiency. But then, there are different types of fats...

One could theorize that maybe there's a common equatorial dietary fat source that results in a relative lack of skin cancer in equatorial populations, but the research article proved something very different. Something both genetic & environmental...

Other than me, did anyone actually read the article?

One could theorize that maybe there's a common equatorial dietary fat source that results in a relative lack of skin cancer in equatorial populations, but the research article proved something very different. Something both genetic & environmental...
I hope that was you refuting the idea.

Yes, I read the article. It was good, thanks.

I'm in agreeance with skip. Watch the burning, no need to be afraid. The main problem is a lack of utilizable fat in the skin to transform the rays into vit d. Now as for tanning beds being worse than tanning outside I dont know about the concentrated ray difference but again just watch out for burning.
Say huh?

What constitutes utilizable? Can you quantify that for me?

Are you saying as long as there are fats, which I assume means we are talking about subc layer, then it doesn't matter what those waves are doing to the first two layers of your skin? What about the boundary between the epidermis and dermis layer? Let's just call it a hunch of mine, but it seems where the actual melanogenesis is occurring would be a region of more concern. What negates them? Why are they of no concern? Why would underlying fats protect more superficial regions from cell damage and possible mutation? Why would we not consider them in such a highly turbid medium?

If you have the answers to those questions, please share. Those are honest questions.

Don't try to confuse him with facts! He knows what he's feeling! LOL!

You come on here with your study.. And then when someone has their own opinion you riducule them.. Not a very effective way to spread your message or show concern.. Im warning others of the dangers of the majority of the sunscreens on the market.. That supposedly protect your skin..

"What Makes Sunscreens Toxic?

A study in the April 2004 Journal of Chromatography found that there was significant penetration into the skin of all sunscreen agents they studied. And slathering a carcinogenic agent onto your skin may in fact be worse for your health than ingesting it, as it goes straight into your blood stream.

By following experts' recommendations to apply generous amounts of sunscreen every few hours to prevent skin cancer, you are likely absorbing a fair amount.

Making matters worse, scientists are not even sure whether sunscreen prevents against melanoma in the first place. They’ve suggested that sunscreen may prevent sunburn, but may fail to actually protect against cancer because most sunscreens only screen out UVB, which makes vitamin D, not the UVA that causes most of the damage.

Some studies have even found a link between melanoma and the use of commercial sunscreen! Additionally, potentially harmful chemicals such as dioxybenzone and oxybenzone are some of the most powerful free radical generators known to man. And yet other studies have linked specific chemical UV filters with the transsexualization of male fish and coral reef degradation.

In light of that, I believe it’s imperative to do your homework, and to ONLY use a natural sunscreen with safe, non-toxic ingredients, so as to not add to your toxic load, and perhaps still not be protected from damaging UVA.

As you can see from this list, compiled from the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep website, there are lots of potential dangers lurking in your sunscreens:"

Full article: **broken link removed**

Another article about sunscreen:

Sunscreen chemicals absorbed into body, found in 85 percent of human milk samples

Watercress, which makes a nice addition to salads and sandwiches, is an anti-cancer food par excellence. Research suggests that eating fresh watercress daily can significantly reduce blood cell DNA damage. DNA damage in blood cells is an indicator of a person's overall cancer risk. Watercress contains a special mustard oil called phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) which has significant cancer fighting powers. But the anti-cancer properties of watercress may also be attributable to its high concentration of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lutein. Watercress is available in larger supermarkets year round, but you can also grow your own crop at home.
Cancer ultimately stems from damage to cellular DNA, mostly caused by some forms of carcinogen (cancer causing agent) or virus. Faulty genetic material can also be inherited. If not repaired, damaged cells have the potential to proliferate uncontrollably to form a tumour. Cancerous cells may also spread to and invade other tissues (known as ‘metastasis’). Many diet and lifestyle factors can influence the development of cancer, a disease that is expected to affect more than 1 in 3 people in the UK at some stage of their lives. This section focuses on the potential benefits of watercress. Population studies associate an
increased intake of cruciferous vegetables with reduced risk of cancers at
several sites. Watercress has the effects of cruciferous vegetable consumption on cancer risk.
https://wikihomenutrition.com/watercress-health-benefits/
You can see more information in this article. Hope you get what you want. Because in this article, it has loads of information about other diseases, so you can take advantage of that to your friend or relatives in some cases.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear