over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

skullcrushers

jared530

Registered
Is it OK if Ive been doing skullcrushers with my hands positioned onto the outer grip? Im lifting 135x8 with the outter grips so my automatic assumption is that I should be using the inner grips

In my opinion as a trainer.. The inner grips help you isolate youre tris and just tri's.. I can do 135 on the inner grips. I would say I could easily do QUITE a bit more on the outer portion of the bar.

Ok thanks Ill stick to inner for now on

yea, stick to the inner grip.

outter grip will hit more anterior delt and lateral head of tricep. I do em sometimes. Inner as said will isolate all the 3 heads of triceps much more. Try em on lower cable with bench as well. Burn.

Last edited:
ya cable skull crushers are awesome!! they deff hit your tri much harder IMO then free weights, cuz at the top it's still pulling away from u bs free weights at the top the pressure moves to chest and delts in the top position

ya cable skull crushers are awesome!! they deff hit your tri much harder IMO then free weights, cuz at the top it's still pulling away from u bs free weights at the top the pressure moves to chest and delts in the top position

I love cable skullcrushers

Cable vs bar

Inner portion of the bar definitely the way to go....but I hit somewhat of a plataeu doing skull crushers w/ a bar, and switched to doing them with cable, and the cable version is just awesome, constant tension throughout the whole movement, no "dead spots", and I also occassionally do them with a reverse grip.

I used to perform skull crushers......but found the close grip press to be more effective for my tris.....just my 2 cents.

Best isolating mass building tricep exercise bar none. Try em with dumbbells. We did em on floor with db's parallel to eachother lying on the floor and SS with Dips! Kick your ass!

Is it OK if Ive been doing skullcrushers with my hands positioned onto the outer grip? Im lifting 135x8 with the outter grips so my automatic assumption is that I should be using the inner grips

Without seeing you up personal its hard to say. I do mine with an EZ curl bar with a close,,inner type grip.

I do them with the outer grips, but i also grip them in reverse. the traditional skull crusher feel awkward to me, but doing it like that feels much better. that is just my personal opinion though.

I do them with the outer grips, but i also grip them in reverse. the traditional skull crusher feel awkward to me, but doing it like that feels much better. that is just my personal opinion though.

Any movement and placement that the body has not done is usually awkward for anyone.

Any movement and placement that the body has not done is usually awkward for anyone.

I understand this, skull crushers never were my go to lift. i always chose close grip or dips before them. I recently decided to add them for variety. the regular close grip, like i said, felt awkward but also hurt my elbows, while reverse did not. its just a personal preference though, im sure it will hardly make any difference in how i look.

I would agree that inner grip hits the tri's more. I seem to feel it in my chest the wider i go on any tricep movement.

I dont recommend skull crushers in the first place, but try doing them on the floor, letting the weight come to a rest on the floor for just a second between reps, then do each set like that until absolute muscle failure. you will have me for that.

Inner portion of the bar definitely the way to go....but I hit somewhat of a plataeu doing skull crushers w/ a bar, and switched to doing them with cable, and the cable version is just awesome, constant tension throughout the whole movement, no "dead spots", and I also occassionally do them with a reverse grip.

The cable also encourages you to move the bar in a straight line instead of an arc. Arcing the bar isolates the lateral and medial head better, but moving in a straight line makes the long head work harder.

weighed dips anybody? a couple plates between the legs and go to failure never fails at giving a ridiculous pump... I'm also more partial to using a straight bar for my skullcrushers, usually just position myself backwards on a flat bench. Definitely is more convienient for racking/unracking the weight. A variation I picked up from westside barbell and also like is the rolling tri extension, (if not familar, slowly lower down like skulls then rock it back behind head to give extra stretch , and when rocking foward the momentum u create can allow for using heavier weights.)

outter grip will hit more anterior delt and lateral head of tricep. I do em sometimes. Inner as said will isolate all the 3 heads of triceps much more. Try em on lower cable with bench as well. Burn.
It is hard to isolate the different heads of the tricep, but as a general rule: Any tricep expercise with a regulat straight bar grip primarily works the inner and long heads of the triceps. The wider the grip, the inner head gets more of the focus. You primarily work the lateral head when the palms are facing the midline of the body (palms facing each other).

I like skull crushers but they give me tendonitis in my elbows so i had to drop them from my workout.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws