over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Sleep apnea help

Sir Anabolic

Registered
Anyone know if dental mouthguards are a decent alternative to a CPAP? At least a temporary fix? My insurance sucks ass, the CPAP is on hold for now. Any other alternatives?

Anyone know if dental mouthguards are a decent alternative to a CPAP? At least a temporary fix? My insurance sucks ass, the CPAP is on hold for now. Any other alternatives?

I'm in the same boat.

I went out and bought a used cpap machine on craigslist for $75. It's an older model and the face mask took some getting used to but man I swear it has turned me around 180 degrees...I feel awesome and I wake up with energy and wanting to get a good days work in and then hit the weights.

I am off to the gym but will post a pic of it when I get back...the face mask was new and the hose is new but you can find an older model for cheap if you look around.

The dental device that's specific to OSA, does help….it takes a bit to get used to and have it dialed into your need, but the CPAP remains the gold standard therapy. I have both, as I tend to use the dental device when I travel…my dental bite changed a little over time and took my jaw a little to get used to, being in a position where it's jutting out. It works, just be patient with it…as others have noted, you can pick up a used CPAP on craigslist or ebay to try on….but you'll want your Dr. to help you dial it in for your needs.

I went out and bought a used cpap machine on craigslist for $75. It's an older model and the face mask took some getting used to but man I swear it has turned me around 180 degrees...I feel awesome and I wake up with energy and wanting to get a good days work in and then hit the weights.

I am off to the gym but will post a pic of it when I get back...the face mask was new and the hose is new but you can find an older model for cheap if you look around.

How long did it take you to get use to sleeping with it?

The dental device that's specific to OSA, does help….it takes a bit to get used to and have it dialed into your need, but the CPAP remains the gold standard therapy. I have both, as I tend to use the dental device when I travel…my dental bite changed a little over time and took my jaw a little to get used to, being in a position where it's jutting out. It works, just be patient with it…as others have noted, you can pick up a used CPAP on craigslist or ebay to try on….but you'll want your Dr. to help you dial it in for your needs.

Any specific brand/model recommendation for the mouthguard?

Mouth guards, if one wants one done right, are custom made and fitted to your exact need by a dentist board certified in Sleep. They don't work for everyone even though many of you have likely heard the commercials touting them. By all means get checked out and see if one could alleviate your apnea, but don't be overly disappointed if it doesn't. In my experience, having worked for one of the larger sleep medicine providers in the country, are CPAP-to-dental device setup ratio was about 200-1, and we had a full time board certified dentist on staff.

I agree with the previous poster about trying to find a used one on Craiglist. You can get them pretty cheap that way.

It took me about a week to really get used to sleeping with it. My Dr suggested taking a Benadryl to help fall asleep for the first few nights.

It's made all the difference in the world in how I feel during the day now. Night and day. Plus my wife gets a full night's sleep as well since I no longer snore.

I've been using my CPAP for about 18 months now and I can't imagine ever sleeping without it.

Best of luck. There are TONS of message boards around as well for OSA and CPAP usage. For me I wound up using a Resmed S-9. It's an AutoPap that constantly adjusts the pressure throughout the night so I don't need to manually adjust the pressure to find what works for me. I bought mine on craigslist for under $200.

Keith

Is there any way to know if you have sleep apnea other than a sleep study? I have sinus problems and a couple years ago I started breathing through my mouth when I sleep. Is this indicative of sleep apnea or could it be something else?

Is there any way to know if you have sleep apnea other than a sleep study? I have sinus problems and a couple years ago I started breathing through my mouth when I sleep. Is this indicative of sleep apnea or could it be something else?

Here's a link that includes a common questionnaire that is a good predictor of apnea if you are trying to diagnose on the cheap.

Sleep Apnea: Symptoms, Causes, Cures, and Treatment Options

Thanks for the link, it says I have a low probability. I was thinking about getting one on craigslist just to see if I can feel a difference.

The problem you may have with used ones is you may not be able to adjust the pressure from what the previous person set it to. Look for an Auto CPAP, which can continually adjust the pressure. Even some of those, like mine, only auto adjust during the initial 30 day period. After that you're stuck.

If you decide to go used, that's cool. Just read up on them so you know which features you need versus want.

My apnea was off the charts bad. I may very well have died without mine. A coworker actually did.

Cpap on Craigslist. Get on youtube and figure out how to adjust the pressure.

I have the dental appliance, it was custom made and cost like $6K. You adjust it with a small key, like every other week. I see my dentist once a month and he tells me wether to keep it where its at, or adjust it accordingly. Its rough to use at first. They want you to wear it like 16 hours a day minimum. Right now I am on 8hours a day, so I just wear it at night. It has improved my sleep, and I rarely snore. Only snore if I'm congested or have a cold..

I gave my CPAP machine away. Best thing ever..

As for buying a CPAP on craigslist or anywhere else, you just cant go and use someone elses machine. You still have to be fitted with the nose or mouth piece. Plus they have to show you how to use it. Once you get one and your insurance carrier pays for it, they will send a tech out to your home. At least thats what they did for me.

And those $20 or $30 mouthguards dont work for sleep apnea, save your money

Last edited:
Been on CPAP for about 6 months. I was thinking about doing one of the dental devices but to have one custom made/properly fitted would be around $1400 out of pocket.

I'll just stick with the old CPAP..LOL

That's a great idea and not a bad price at all.

Just got mine wow waking up clearer headed and wife awake...gonna make morning cardio that much better

You can buy masks, filters and such at cpap.com. YOU WILL want to change the filters every other month or so. Mine also has a water reservoir that calls for distilled water every night.

Here's a pic of the one I picked up on craigslist. It self-regulates the pressure which is great...I am looking to check out some different masks though just to see what the most comfortable one is

Attachments

• washerdryer 001.jpg
    washerdryer 001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 104

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member