over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Slingshot and chest deactivations

5millionbucks

Registered
So I started using this thing again, I have the original slingshot mainly because of my right shoulder. I hear that the slingshot deactivates the chest on the bottom portion of the lift when you bench press which is why you can bench more with it. Most people have issues pushing the weight up from the chest, so I can see why someone can bench 10% more with the slingshot.

So anyone who uses the slingshot, there bench numbers will not really go up like if they benched raw because of this deactivation. Wouldn't this be counterproductive in terms of working out your chest because of the deactivation? Has anyone increased their bench using the slingshot or no?

It is an awesome piece of equipment for anyone who has tendinitis or a rotator cuff issue.

My sticking point is always once the bar is halfway up, so I f’in love slingshots. I can throw an extra 10-15% on the bar, nail some heavier lifts, and progress without needing a spotter for boards or whatever

I've used a Slingshot on my heaviest sets of chest presses for years and my pecs are as developed as they can be. If I'm losing 5% development by preventing injuries that's a worthy trade off.

My sticking point is always once the bar is halfway up, so I f’in love slingshots. I can throw an extra 10-15% on the bar, nail some heavier lifts, and progress without needing a spotter for boards or whatever
Did your raw bench press decrease from constant use of the slingshot?

Depends if you bench raw vs shirted when maxing.........
When I competed using a shirt board presses did wonders for my max.
Both eliminate much of the bottom portion of the lift where the shirt helps. I'd imagine the slingshot is the same basic idea.

Did your raw bench press decrease from constant use of the slingshot?
Nah, I still bench raw at least weekly if not more frequently.

I bet if I did 100% slingshot I may start sticking at the lower portion of the lift, but since you can handle more weight for the majority of the lift, that may offset it as well.

I recently bought one within the last 6 months. Had to die to my right shoulder getting worse. It’s definitely allowed me to continue benching plus increase my poundage’s.

Once I start getting up to 225lbs and above I’ll slide it on. If not my shoulder won’t allow me to lift anymore weight.

Cage

So I started using this thing again, I have the original slingshot mainly because of my right shoulder. I hear that the slingshot deactivates the chest on the bottom portion of the lift when you bench press which is why you can bench more with it. Most people have issues pushing the weight up from the chest, so I can see why someone can bench 10% more with the slingshot.

So anyone who uses the slingshot, there bench numbers will not really go up like if they benched raw because of this deactivation. Wouldn't this be counterproductive in terms of working out your chest because of the deactivation? Has anyone increased their bench using the slingshot or no?

It is an awesome piece of equipment for anyone who has tendinitis or a rotator cuff issue.

Your thinking about this the wrong way. PLs have used accommodating resistance for decades to increase the bench. Chains, reverse bands, regular bands…..

The slingshot is exactly the same methodology. Load will match the strength curve better. As you go up, the “load felt” on the pushing muscle increase.

And think about this for a second….BB bench, you hit 315x6 top set. So at the bottom of the press, your chest feels 315.

You slingshot next week and hit 365x6. At the bottom…I’d venture to say your not missing out much, as totsl load is higher, but the slingshot is helping.

And the company built the damn thing to INCREASE your raw bench….I don’t think they would of sold very many if it DECREASED bench presses

Your thinking about this the wrong way. PLs have used accommodating resistance for decades to increase the bench. Chains, reverse bands, regular bands…..

The slingshot is exactly the same methodology. Load will match the strength curve better. As you go up, the “load felt” on the pushing muscle increase.

And think about this for a second….BB bench, you hit 315x6 top set. So at the bottom of the press, your chest feels 315.

You slingshot next week and hit 365x6. At the bottom…I’d venture to say your not missing out much, as totsl load is higher, but the slingshot is helping.

And the company built the damn thing to INCREASE your raw bench….I don’t think they would of sold very many if it DECREASED bench presses
My whole thing is say if you only bench with the sling shot and not raw; since the bottom of the lift is deactivated when you go back to bench pressing raw. You will be slightly disappointed from what I hear from people, unless you did a mix of benching/pressing raw and adding the slingshot for overload training which would increase your raw bench number. Am I wrong?

Nah, I still bench raw at least weekly if not more frequently.

I bet if I did 100% slingshot I may start sticking at the lower portion of the lift, but since you can handle more weight for the majority of the lift, that may offset it as well.
That could be true, but your main sticking point like you stated is at the half way point; so possibly it wouldn't matter unlike someone else who's sticking point is at the bottom, might tell a diff story.

My whole thing is say if you only bench with the sling shot and not raw; since the bottom of the lift is deactivated when you go back to bench pressing raw. You will be slightly disappointed from what I hear from people, unless you did a mix of benching/pressing raw and adding the slingshot for overload training which would increase your raw bench number. Am I wrong?
Why do you care so much about your raw bench? Do you compete in powerlifting? Do you pay your bills with powerlifting? I ask because this is a bodybuilding forum and our main concern is hypertrophy which the Slingshot is an effective tool for.

I've used a Slingshot for close to 8 years and my raw bench has increased even though I never do my heaviest sets raw.

Why do you care so much about your raw bench? Do you compete in powerlifting? Do you pay your bills with powerlifting? I ask because this is a bodybuilding forum and our main concern is hypertrophy which the Slingshot is an effective tool for.

I've used a Slingshot for close to 8 years and my raw bench has increased even though I never do my heaviest sets raw.
I personally compete in powerlifting so I do care, but to your point I’ve increased my bench whilst avoiding injury

I personally compete in powerlifting so I do care, but to your point I’ve increased my bench whilst avoiding injury
Powerlifting is such a weird sport…

Conjugate, block, wave, specialization……

No wrong answers…I enjoyed the slingshot since I’m older and kinda beat up.

My bench has only improved since using the slingshot for a few years.

Heavier loads with greater volume and less injury and overuse.

Its a great tool in the toolkit.

Yes you’re kinda wrong.
No one is using the slingshot for your entire workout. It is the equivalent of board pressing. Yes, if you ONLY board press you’ll have insane lockout strength and be weak at the bottom. But again, no one uses this device or method their entire workout.

No I do not compete in powerlifting, but the barbell bench and barbell squat are two movements I enjoy doing and like to track my progress on. I am currently building my bench strength back up again after dealing with tendinitis for the past few years which I finally recovered from, and have been using the slingshot recently on days I want to overload.

Yes you’re kinda wrong.
No one is using the slingshot for your entire workout. It is the equivalent of board pressing. Yes, if you ONLY board press you’ll have insane lockout strength and be weak at the bottom. But again, no one uses this device or method their entire workout.

I scratch my head sometimes. Leg press or squats for leg development?!?

Umm….you could do both…. 🤷‍♂️

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear