YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Sodium is only an issue if you have high bp.....yay or nay?

FrancisK

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Or is it the sodium that causes the high bp? Chicken or the egg....?

Sodium may not even be an issue. And the egg came before the chicken....

This is one of those things where your lifestyle dictates these things more than anything else.

I think sodium is a tremendous performance enhancer given proper hydration, and if the workload necessitates increased intake.

A middle aged overweight guy who barely moves would be ill advised to eat a ton of sodium; not nearly as much due to sodium's ill effects, but due to the poor body composition, eating habits, and hydration of such individual.

The workload creates the demand :)

Sodium is by far the most underrated performance enhancing nutrient. Unfairly demonized by so many so called healthcare "professionals" whose intentions are often quite questionable... :cool:

This is one of those things where your lifestyle dictates these things more than anything else.

I think sodium is a tremendous performance enhancer given proper hydration, and if the workload necessitates increased intake.

A middle aged overweight guy who barely moves would be ill advised to eat a ton of sodium; not nearly as much due to sodium's ill effects, but due to the poor body composition, eating habits, and hydration of such individual.

The workload creates the demand :)
Well said. You need as much as you use, kinda like carbs/cals. It's not a complicated concept, but figuring out how much you NEED is not easy. Staying consistent with diet helps.

I've always been Blasted on my sodium intake.
For yrs on end I heard shit till my bloods came back Low...
Full body sweats all summer require lots of sodium and electrolytes.
Winter, I am sure to hit the Sauna once a week and Dump a Gallon easy!
You only Piss and Shit out so much!...
Why do you think most people Smell...lol

Sodium may not even be an issue. And the egg came before the chicken....

The male chicken came first but he was lonely so one of his ribs was removed to create a female chicken who temped him to eat the chicken feed of knowledge. Once he ate the feed he then realized he was naked and he very felt ashamed.

high sodium intake will aggravate already high/borderline BP, but will not cause a healthy person to all the sudden become hypertensive. So many factors that go into blood pressure and sodium is near the end.

Sodium elevates bp, salt doesnt. Look into the benefits of Himalayan pink salt. It doesnt elevate bp and has many health benefits and minerals

My blood pressure goes through the roof when I add in to much sodium. I've tried to follow Stan efferdings recommendations a few times now and it always made my bp increase and make me feel winded all the time. Performance was increased dramatically but I always felt out of breath. I used Pink salt

Sodium is by far the best pump/strength/ athletic performance enhancer.

A little thing that I do that I've noticed a huge difference with is I get the twangerz lemon salt and lick it while I lift. I drink about 2 liters of water and probably ingest about 3 grams of sodium during training.

For athletes I don't think it affects your blood pressure if your lean and eat really clean. In fact the cleaner you eat the more sodium you need to take.

My blood pressure goes through the roof when I add in to much sodium. I've tried to follow Stan efferdings recommendations a few times now and it always made my bp increase and make me feel winded all the time. Performance was increased dramatically but I always felt out of breath. I used Pink salt

Yeah, i don’t think I’ll be trying that then.

A salt like potassium chloride tastes ok. There is salt at the grocery store that is sodium chloride and potassium chloride mixed together in a ratio. That is helpful if your BP is borderline and you still want the taste.

I got off the low sodium craze after reading some stuff from Bill Starr back in the 90's. Definitely helped my performance. And as a side note. Studies show that the life span of people that eat the least amount of salt is lower then those that ingest higher levels.

I watch the Sodium in any Boxed or Packed Food. So I really shy away from those, as the Sodium Counts can be Astronomical. I use only Sea Salt or the Pink Himalayan Salt in my Food, and I check my BP every morning. But then I just turned 65, so it's always good to keep up on such things.............. JP

Stan Efferding seems to think so. I believe he recommends like 8-12 grams a day

Sodium elevates bp, salt doesnt. Look into the benefits of Himalayan pink salt. It doesnt elevate bp and has many health benefits and minerals

Himalayan pink salt is 98% sodium chloride. So yes, if you are predisposed to sodium-based water retention, you will also get the raises in BP like you would from any other salt.

A salt like potassium chloride tastes ok. There is salt at the grocery store that is sodium chloride and potassium chloride mixed together in a ratio. That is helpful if your BP is borderline and you still want the taste.

Something to keep in mind with any of these salt substitutes containing potassium chloride is whether or not you on an ACE inhibitor, ARB, or potassium-sparing diuretic for blood pressure control (I know you are, just stating this for others). Since all three of these drug classes effect serum potassium, you need to be careful with any salts containing potassium chloride as they can cause hyperkalemia (high potassium).

If anybody is going to use these regularly and is on one of these medications (i.e. lisinopril, telmisartan, dyazide, or any similar drugs) please get your bloodwork checked or at least google the signs / symptoms of hyperkalemia.

As to the main topic: sodium is only an issue IF it's an issue for YOU.

Some people (myself) are extremely prone to water retention from sodium and will see drastic increases / fluctuations in BP if sodium isn't controlled. As for me...I try and keep it constant--but not low--and my water intake constant as well, and this causes my BP to stabilize even when taking 3000mg/day. This is because the kidneys work very efficiently to maintain homeostasis within the body and rapidly adjust. I.e. if you're always on a low-sodium diet, the body will excrete less sodium in order to conserve it. If you're always on a high-sodium diet, it'll excrete more. It's when you have big CHANGES that things get weird. I.e. you've been on high-water intake and lower sodium for a few days and go eat a cheat meal and BAM 10lbs of water retention and higher BP.

For anyone wanting to dive deeper into this topic, google the RAAS system. The information usually has the different drug classes that effect this system pointed out on the diagram where they effect it as well.

As others have said I'm sure. It may not even be an issue at all given you are staying properly hydrated.

If you have healthy kidneys and drink sufficient amounts of fluids, and are otherwise healthy, sodium is not going to give you hypertension on it's own. And because pretty much everyone on this board is likely hydrating quite a bit, a drastic reduction in sodium could be a bad thing over time.

Are you asking bc you're worried about becoming hypertensive or because you already have hypertension?

Oh, and a small PSA: hypertension guidelines have recently changed and hypertension is now defined as greater than 130/80 instead of the old 140/90.. The change was made because the difference between the two pressures was associated with double the risk of some sort of vascular event. If you have to go with a med for BP, go with an ace inhibitor or a thiazide diuretic. Technically calcium channel blockers are also first line but they tend to have more side effects.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws