some more leg stuff

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Video:
legs 9-8-12 - YouTube

Just some offseason leg training from today, had a good session and hit some squat PRs at a lighter bodyweight (about 225 now). My offseason goals are pretty simple - to stay healthy, injury free, and add a few pounds of muscle in the right spots. I'm still working with John Meadows for training (and probably always will).

Subscribe to the 360CutNutrition Youtube page for updates from myself and a handful of other sponsored lifters - there's a ton of good, informative videos on there already and we'll be adding a lot more in the coming months.

Here's the full workout, the video just captured some of the sets:

seated leg curls - sets of 8 working up in weight til I couldn't get 8

barbell squats
135 x 2 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 6
405 x 6
425 x 6
455 x 6
475 x 6
495 x 6
525 x 6

hack squats
2 warmups x 15 reps
2 work sets of 15 reps
then a set of 40 reps with the same weight

chain lunges - 3 drop sets to failure

stiff leg bb dead - 3 sets of 10

When you get to the chain lunges it looks like you're having to negotiate a serious leg pump every rep you do! Your leg workout looks INTENSE!

Are those compression socks or just regular knee highs?

is that high bar squat?

When you get to the chain lunges it looks like you're having to negotiate a serious leg pump every rep you do! Your leg workout looks INTENSE!

Thank you. Definitely feeling it now... fortunately I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Are those compression socks or just regular knee highs?

Compression pants

is that high bar squat?

People always tell me I carry the bar kind of high... I just hold it where it feels comfortable to me.

barbell squats
135 x 2 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 6
405 x 6
425 x 6
455 x 6
475 x 6
495 x 6
525 x 6

Not to take away from your training but when exactly does 6 reps start to become difficult here, 425??

Also how do you balance out cardio and legs? Im having the biggest problem this year with my cardio cutting into my legs recover, been a real tough balancing act.

barbell squats
135 x 2 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 6
405 x 6
425 x 6
455 x 6
475 x 6
495 x 6
525 x 6

Not to take away from your training but when exactly does 6 reps start to become difficult here, 425??

Also how do you balance out cardio and legs? Im having the biggest problem this year with my cardio cutting into my legs recover, been a real tough balancing act.

Yah, maybe around 425 or so.
I'm not doing any cardio right now. When I diet, I do low intensity cardio in the morning and that really doesn't affect my training at all.

Any question why your legs look like they do? Answered!

barbell squats
135 x 2 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 6
405 x 6
425 x 6
455 x 6
475 x 6
495 x 6
525 x 6

If I were guessing, the rep range is for warming up CNS, aswell as not waisting energy for the sets where he really has to get it,and look at it as cardio interfering with training, not the other way around. Your cardio shouldn't be so taxing that it's interfering with your weights. If you are training as intensely as Shelby you really don't need much cardio..

Yah, maybe around 425 or so.
I'm not doing any cardio right now. When I diet, I do low intensity cardio in the morning and that really doesn't affect my training at all.

Can you give me an example of 'low intensity' I thought mine was but maybe Im a bit off, I do 45 min up a hill in my neighbor hood and back down again walking.
But my legs are getting their ass kicked, perhaps on a non incline surface?

Can you give me an example of 'low intensity' I thought mine was but maybe Im a bit off, I do 45 min up a hill in my neighbor hood and back down again walking.
But my legs are getting their ass kicked, perhaps on a non incline surface?

I just walk on a treadmill at 3.0mph... no incline.

Fairy narrow stance, that makes it tougher. I also noticed youre not wearing any knee wraps, when I used that much weight I think my knees might have exploded without wraps!

Fairy narrow stance, that makes it tougher. I also noticed youre not wearing any knee wraps, when I used that much weight I think my knees might have exploded without wraps!

I keep my heels about 6 to 8 inches apart, and point my toes out at maybe 15 degrees or so.

Yah I'm not a fan of tight knee wraps - a good knee sleeve is plenty, just enough to keep things warm and stable.

I just walk on a treadmill at 3.0mph... no incline.

Thanks for the reply Shelby gonna drop the incline get my legs back under me.

What should ones stance be like on the hack squat? Toes pointed out? Feet how far in front of you?

My gym has a hack squat with a stack that starts the movement at the bottom which I like, because I set my legs properly so that I don't hurt my back at the bottom. My lumbar comes off the seat pad often with leg presses so this is my only option.

What should ones stance be like on the hack squat? Toes pointed out? Feet how far in front of you?

My gym has a hack squat with a stack that starts the movement at the bottom which I like, because I set my legs properly so that I don't hurt my back at the bottom. My lumbar comes off the seat pad often with leg presses so this is my only option.

I'd use the stance you feel strongest and most comfortable with. I usually have my feet a little wider than shoulder width when doing hacks.. with feet a bit higher on platform, and toes turned out slightly. Every so often we'll do them with feet very close.
If you have your feet too low on the platform, you'll stress your knees too much.

Compression pants

Do you feel those make a significant difference? Promotes circulation, prevents fatigue, etc? Worth the money?

Do you feel those make a significant difference? Promotes circulation, prevents fatigue, etc? Worth the money?

They make the knee sleeves slide up real easy, and I like staying pretty covered up in the gym. I don't know that they do much other than that.

Does anyone ever poke fun at your glasses? .......I didn't think so.;)

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws