advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Some thoughts on ketogenic diets (keto) with combined use of Growth Hormone (rhGH)

Type-IIx

Registered
Newbies
These are some thoughts I've been bouncing around with respect to rhGH use on keto diets.

Please feel free to attack my logic (probably an interesting exercise for a nutritionist or a seasoned bodybuilding coach) [please conform to a technical writing style and limit any persuasive writing techniques to the use of logos rather than pathos]:

Keto (without drugs; for naturals): good for longevity and for fat loss (especially dieting down to low body fat levels) but incompatible with optimal/maximal muscular strength and muscle mass gains due to insufficient glycolytic pathway energy substrates to sustain high intensity muscular contractions; and due to reduced Akt/mTOR activity (controls muscle protein synthesis, translation); ketone bodies additionally serve to confer a protein sparing effect to claw back some retention of muscle loss: well-designed cyclical regimens best support all of these aims.

Keto (with rhGH): accelerates fat loss in energy deficit (due to increased insulin resistance in adipocytes). In fact, GH increases hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL) activity; direct oxidation of FFAs; and suppresses the lipoprotein lipase (LPL) in adipose tissue. But, the increase in blood levels of FFAs (attendant to increased dietary fat intakes) decreases adipose tissue HSL activity, thus reducing hydrolysis of "trapped" triglyceride, despite the insulin resistant effects on the adipocyte (preventing storage of new triglyceride therein)... expect circulating FFAs to be very high. Now, GH likely prevents muscle catabolism by its anticatabolic effects (i.e., net retention of LBM and protein stores during fasting; N, Ca, K retention, though largely in the extracellular matrix).
- But increases to muscular size and strength in an energy surplus (keto) will be relatively slowed relative to an isocaloric balanced or high carbohydrate diet due mostly to lack of glycolytic substrates (again, necessary to support intense resistance training). RhGH use will promote some muscle anabolism by IGF-I-mediated Akt/mTOR activity (again sort of "clawing back" some anabolic potency despite somewhat reduced insulin levels vs. higher carbohydrate intakes).

You could certainly make the argument without looking foolish whatsoever that keto is rational with rhGH for fat loss and even recomp (energy deficit, or at maintenance).

I do, however, believe many of the rationales underpinning keto are eviscerated, at least partly, by rhGH use: i.e., maintaining low insulin levels (increased by rhGH) to promote FA liberation by the utilization of MCTs and ketone bodies to support such; protein sparing by ketone bodies (considering the far more profound effects of rhGH/AAS to effect anticatabolism); and the very fact that rhGH serves lipolytic, recomp, and growth functions better than keto does on an isocaloric moderate-high carbohydrate diet (with improved muscular strength and size increases) renders keto+rhGH suboptimal.

Now, the use of some principles from cyclical keto dietary regimens (e.g., titrating carbohydrate intakes around training; maintaining insulin sensitivity with low carbohydrate/higher dietary fat intakes - without actually entering or maintaining a state of ketosis) apply almost universally to enhanced bodybuilders.

But rhGH+keto would seem quite different (and less logical) vs. keto for a natural bodybuilder.

None of this is to say that rhGH+keto does not support increased muscle size/strength, but rather that it is suboptimal versus a moderate/high carbohydrate intake diet with the use of rhGH.

@homonunculus @luki7788 @troponin @The_Beast just a few guys that come to mind.

Will follow. Maybe in a different thread keto/keto+ AAS (aromatizable or not) may be discussed.

Well thought out, I appreciate your post. Something else to consider...
Not everyone is adaptable to using a true state of ketosis for performance or recomping.
Someone without a functioning gall bladder for example, or someone lacking the proper enzymes to digest and absorb fats, will have a more difficult time benefitting from diverting to utilizing fats vs carbs.
While there may be some health benefits to removing carbs for a time, it can also be what becomes a detriment in something sustainable. In those cases, maybe limiting carbs to training windows, as you suggested, would be the preference.
Enzymes also naturally decrease with age, and a keto diet is also dependent on one's ability to digest and absorb. So, gut health needs to be considered, as well as proper testing to determine gut biome, and what supplements may be necessary to make a keto diet work

I would say keto is suboptimal for naturals as well. But there's individual variance, and some people do seem to do better on keto for whatever reason. For those people I'd imagine they'd probably do better on keto when on GH the same as they do better on keto when natural.

Your comment about logos and pathos is kind of funny 😂

I like this a lot, and don't have any holes to poke.

I may be biased because this jives with personal experience and may lend support tp the model I developed over time for myself and clients for very aggressive fat loss phases designed to drop bf and restore insulin sensitivity as quickly as possible.

I've found that for enhanced individuals (including GH use), rather than say, a full PSMF-type diet, that bubbling carbohydrate intake just above the point where ketosis sets in seems to be optimal, with that number ending up somewhere between 50-150/day for the majority of people, and usually between 70-120, depending on individual factors and compound use (low dose DNP, etc.).

I've absolutely found pure keto to work better for natural trainees, and maybe this is part of the reason why.

As a side, I'm curious if you have any thoughts on the use of low-dose DNP (say, <100mg/day) in this context, since DNP does have a tendency to deplete and push people into Ketosis.

I've pondered it a lot. Whereby on DNP you have to increase carbs slightly to avoid ketosis, and protein/fats are already bottomed out (so the deficit cannot be made up there), are you just breaking even on the increase in metabolism from DNP and creating no bigger deficit vs. no-DNP + a lower carb intake pre-ketosis?

Is it possible that when DNP is involved, it's better just accepting the Ketogenic state for a period?

All theoretical, as it's something that's extremely difficult to judge anecdotally.

Will follow. Maybe in a different thread keto/keto+ AAS (aromatizable or not) may be discussed.
Second that. I would like to hear about pure keto with aas. As i am not fan of mixing fuels. If i rely on carbs fats are always trace in my diet. If i rely on fats carbs are trace as well. In a past I was mixing everything but I think better results are when we are really orientated in one direction.

Ckd - best version for enhanced bodybuilders (skip-load)

Judging by the success rate (or lack thereof) of myself and my own trainees (most of whom are non-AAS individuals), I think the logic is sound. Straight keto and keto+exogenous GH would appear to be dependent on training which also raises GH and IGF levels with or without AAS. The answer may rest somewhere in the anti-catabolic nature of training and not so much on anabolism per se - where an individual looking to reduce adipose tissue through keto would benefit from training and even more so from training + rhGH administration.

Although I would like to add that CKD vs keto for anabolism specifically, CKD would appear to be the highly preferred method if limiting carb intake to inside a few hours training window vs a calendar day, for example. But I consider even that to be a variation of a CKD where time periods of carb consumption act as a refeed vs an arbitrary time period on the calendar. Done correctly, the individual should remain at high insulin sensitivity levels and low BG levels prior to, and a few hours post-workout. Particularly with the use of insulin or other glucose clearance agent.

I have seen losses of up to 2/3rds total bodyweight while still maintaining adequate musculature (which is to say, "non-limiting") in non-bodybuilding yet training individuals.

In both the bodybuilder and non-bodybuilder, CKD in the way I describe seems to be the ideal option for both fat loss and/or recomposition for those individuals capable of consuming enough calories from dietary fats.

Note: with the addition of anabolic agents (primarily AAS), I suspect that most of this is moot as the combined anabolic and anti-catabolic nature of those elements would only serve to expedite adipose tissue reduction even while producing increases (vs simply maintaining) in muscle mass and strength.

You mean incorporating some dirty food during loading?
Higher glycemic low fat food. Cereal (honey nut cherrios 😉) low fat waffles with syrup, rice Crispy treats, ect. Pretty much its Pasquales anabolic diet.

Higher glycemic low fat food. Cereal (honey nut cherrios 😉) low fat waffles with syrup, rice Crispy treats, ect. Pretty much its Pasquales anabolic diet.
5+2? (5 days keto + 2 days load?) thnx

5+2? (5 days keto + 2 days load?) thnx
Depends on you, I opt for just 1 large load day. If your a very big person or someone that handles large amounts of carbs well then I would do 2 days. The 2nd day I would do lower glycemic carbs like oats, yams, brown rice.

Depends on you, I opt for just 1 large load day. If your a very big person or someone that handles large amounts of carbs well then I would do 2 days. The 2nd day I would do lower glycemic carbs like oats, yams, brown rice.
I hear what you're saying. If I'm only carb depleted for just 5 days, even 2 or 3 really big meals will do the trick (if you're a big eater).

However what I would do before applying ckd I would spend 3-4 months at least doing pure keto( this is what I am gonna do). Reason for it is to learn body use ketones properly. Otherwise if you are not adapted fully then I think you just make this whole process harder. Probably you will praying for another carb day as body will struggle to get back to keto fast. You will be in a keto limbo. Ideally as fast as possible get back to keto but that comes with time. The longer you are fat adapted the sooner return to keto will come. However right now I see I am much fuller on 20 grams of carbs then 2 months ago. I think two more months and nobody will be able to guess on what type of fuel i rely.

Could Metformin play any positive role in this?

However what I would do before applying ckd I would spend 3-4 months at least doing pure keto( this is what I am gonna do). Reason for it is to learn body use ketones properly. Otherwise if you are not adapted fully then I think you just make this whole process harder. Probably you will praying for another carb day as body will struggle to get back to keto fast. You will be in a keto limbo. Ideally as fast as possible get back to keto but that comes with time. The longer you are fat adapted the sooner return to keto will come. However right now I see I am much fuller on 20 grams of carbs then 2 months ago. I think two more months and nobody will be able to guess on what type of fuel i rely.
This is why I suggest once people are fat-adapted to be certain to keep up with the berberine and/or metformin for quicker glucose clearance. Or if they're familiar with their blood sugar and test often, could use insulin, then carb up with fast carbs and protein, fill out fast, and shoot right back down again. Humalog is the preferred for this but [R]egular will do.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws