over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat alternatives/distension

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
There were some posts (first was by me) about how squats and the pressure you have to create at the bottom by pushing with your abs/stomach could lead to distention. This was on the distention thread. I tried squatting and keeping my midsection tight and realized you cant move much weight like you can by pushing the gut out at the bottom.

Hacks, leg press I feel like are the same issue to a lesser degree. Lunges and extensions are no issue but won't build much mass. Front squat maybe?

What do people think about trap bar deadlifts as a primary quad exercise>? You can push heavy weight and progress on it and get stronger, and it doesn't put pressure on pushing hard against the gut.

Do you agree that pushing heavy weight on the squat rack and using the gut to create such pressure can cause distention problems?

Ive been incorporating Bulgarian split squats instead of squats and find that it takes that pressure off my stomach and back. Im at the point in my life that Im getting too old to be squatting a lot of weight, and was looking for an alternative movement because I do like to squat, and found these are great, at least for me.

No, lifters with wider/thicker trunks have more stability at the bottom. That does not mean heavy squats on their own will contribute to gut blow out.

plenty of elite Olympic weightlifters who are squatting maximum effort poundages nearly every training session, and many of them don't have distended midsections. squats will put plenty of pressure on your spine and midsection, that's definitely true.

That is true as well, there are some heavy squatters that do not have distended guts which makes me wonder if they do actually contribute. Or could it be one of those things where some are genetically prone to distension (wide rib cage, hip bones) and some arent (narrow structure).

Yes it does cause distention. Deadlifts can as well. im a big fan of rack deads. I think squats may cause the most, esp when yourre going very heavy.

Like anything your genetics dictate a lot. small waist , nothing to worry about, medium waist, and sloppy diet, ahhh, medium waist and keeping stomach tight year round, different story. Wide waist....

Chris Cormier used to cut out squats and switch to leg press pre contest last six weeks or so.

One thing I have done the past week to help with distention, that has taken an inch off my waist and eliminated gas...

- reduced sugar alcohol intake (less sugar free gum, less halo top, no more coffee thus no more sweetner)

- reduced fiber intake from about 100g a day to 50g a day

- made a larger percentage of my total calories fat, thus reducing carb intake

- increasing my feeding window (no more intermittent fasting, so smaller meals)

All this led to me knocking about an inch off my waist while increasing calories 200cal each day, while In a mass phase

I also started wearing a lifting belt while I drive and workout to remind me to keep the stomach tight.

Yes it does cause distention. Deadlifts can as well. im a big fan of rack deads. I think squats may cause the most, esp when yourre going very heavy.

Like anything your genetics dictate a lot. small waist , nothing to worry about, medium waist, and sloppy diet, ahhh, medium waist and keeping stomach tight year round, different story. Wide waist....

Chris Cormier used to cut out squats and switch to leg press pre contest last six weeks or so.

no this is bullshit. Any studies to back this up? Show me all the distention in the golden era if you to be anecdotal

You breath in and extend your stomach to create pressure and stability in your spine. That's the entire point. You should be doing it any time you're putting your spine under significant load.

A belt is used to push against, not to replace internal pressure.

Gut distention is not caused by this. There are plenty of athletes -see thousands who squat heavy, deadlift heavy, etc and dont have distended abdomens.

no this is bullshit. Any studies to back this up? Show me all the distention in the golden era if you to be anecdotal

Who would fund a study to show if squats cause distension? No one other than bodybuilders cares, not likely to happen.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws