over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat or Not ?

Sharp

Newbies
I was wanting to know if I should do squats or Leg Press. Dorian Yates had to abandon squats because he hurt his hip in the late 80s and he built some impressive wheels with leg presses extensions and hack squats. I don't mind squating just wanted to know what everyone thought. And can someone explain to me how Dorian used the Mentzer High Intensity one set to failure routine. I undestand it somewhat but just need some more information on it. Thanks for all your help. - Cam

Sharp said:
I was wanting to know if I should do squats or Leg Press. Dorian Yates had to abandon squats because he hurt his hip in the late 80s and he built some impressive wheels with leg presses extensions and hack squats. I don't mind squating just wanted to know what everyone thought. And can someone explain to me how Dorian used the Mentzer High Intensity one set to failure routine. I undestand it somewhat but just need some more information on it. Thanks for all your help. - Cam

Squats are the king. If you are able bodied, you have to do them. There's no substitute.

Read in the Article's section the Sticky called 'Growth principles for beginners'. That describes generally the theory behind HIT and also what failure means.

Sharp,
yes do squats. Any Mod here will tell you its the KING of exercises. You want a big bod,then build build legs via squats. When I started training years ago, I did squats . It helps you with your balance especially. You will find those who do ''smith's squats and all shun away from free weight squatting , and when they do, they are feel like they're gonna fall.Then the mental block grows bigger and you will always fear ever doing normal squats. Hence, I always tell any beginner I see in the gym to do squats. Even if you have to go with the bar alone and build up the form. The weights will start adding on quick once you get used to good form.

I loved to squat. When I started training I felt like I was made for it and it was always drilled into me that for not only leg mass but overall mass squats were the king exercise to be used.

Problem I suffered from knee problems from the age of 10. When I got into training I battled countless knee injuries. After my first 3 years of training I got injured bad. Strained all the ligaments in my knee. Squatting is now out of the question. Cartilidge in both knees is fucked. After walking a few hours today I've got a build up of fluid. Thats how fucked they are. And I'm only 20!

Taking 3 weeks off for a holiday, coming back and may attempt to squat.

Question to add here. Do you squat deep or to parallel? I never got injured squatting to parallel but when I went deep I always got injured.

I tend to do both. Some days will stick to parallel and some days as* to the grass squats with moderate poundages,especially if Im doing 20 rep squats.

On a day Im working hamstrings, I may clsoe up my routines with deep squats. my, what a big pridonkee I got from doing squats. :D

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear