over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat Wedges

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
Which of you use squat wedges and which options/Brand do you prefer.

Should you have the time, please supply information on why you opt to include squat wedges and the best way to utilize them.

Hey bud,

I personally use the Prime fitness wedges.

They are a good aid if you do not have the ankle flexibility when doing squats where you are trying to target the quads. The anatomical position that the elevated heels put you in, allow for greater flexion at the knee joint while still driving through the entire base of your feet. (ie. without the wedge, you would be up on your toes when trying to close the angle/gap between your hamstring and back of your calf). Similar concept to wearing platform shoes with a raised heel or the old school method of 5 or 10lbs plates under the heels of the foot. You will notice with using a wedge, your entire foot is still making contact with the surface plate of the wedge which adds to the stability and power draw through the entire movement..... (as opposed to say just using a 5-10lb plate on your heel and having a gap between your foot and the ground right in the middle of your foot).

Depending on just how bad your ankle flexibility is, would determine the angle of incline you need to purchase.

I also personally flip the wedges around and use them for SDL's and RDL's. It allows for me to start the deadlift in a pre-stretched position once I unrack the weight, which as more and more science is reinforcing , leads to better fiber recruitment and motor-unit activation.

Hope that helps.
AE

Jesus.. $125 for a wedge?? Maybe I'm out of touch but, even if not 'handy', you could easily build a wedge for pennies on the dollar (even w the rising cost of materials) and make it to your own specifications.

Just put in 2 half pound discs, period.

The fitness industry is scandalous, but there is always someone buying so much nonsense.

Trademark Innovations 12" Foam Incline Stretch Wedge - Set of 2​

From Amazon, like $20 bucks for the pair, wife and I like them.

Lol...hey, just wear your wife's/girlfriend's wedge shoes/sandals when you squat.
Same?

MS

. . . or wear cowboy boots 😄 with a cowboy heel, not a walking heel, there is a difference.

Which of you use squat wedges and which options/Brand do you prefer.

Should you have the time, please supply information on why you opt to include squat wedges and the best way to utilize them.

Sorry, I don’t have a brand, lot bridge under the water since then but I can assure it was a huge to me. Wish I knew what happened to it. Thinking more . . . I think Fred Hatfield made the one I used.
Maybe find on on Clint or ebay.

It seems some that i know end up having knee, balls of the foot and/or back problems from tall heels. As it changes the loading pattern as you stand and walk. Kind of like women that wear very high heels.

You posted recently about bringing your quads up.

The solution is most likely finding a new squat variation - Hack, bear, pendulum, V, etc. - and not adding a wedge.

Anyway, I think wearing a heel pad adds more pressure to the knee, what do you think?

Hey bud,

I personally use the Prime fitness wedges.

They are a good aid if you do not have the ankle flexibility when doing squats where you are trying to target the quads. The anatomical position that the elevated heels put you in, allow for greater flexion at the knee joint while still driving through the entire base of your feet. (ie. without the wedge, you would be up on your toes when trying to close the angle/gap between your hamstring and back of your calf). Similar concept to wearing platform shoes with a raised heel or the old school method of 5 or 10lbs plates under the heels of the foot. You will notice with using a wedge, your entire foot is still making contact with the surface plate of the wedge which adds to the stability and power draw through the entire movement..... (as opposed to say just using a 5-10lb plate on your heel and having a gap between your foot and the ground right in the middle of your foot).

Depending on just how bad your ankle flexibility is, would determine the angle of incline you need to purchase.

I also personally flip the wedges around and use them for SDL's and RDL's. It allows for me to start the deadlift in a pre-stretched position once I unrack the weight, which as more and more science is reinforcing , leads to better fiber recruitment and motor-unit activation.

Hope that helps.
AE
Thanks for the thorough response.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws