over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squats and bike for legs

BushMan

Registered
So I'm going to try out a routine to build my legs up. It's 3 warms up sets of squats and 7x10 reps to failure. 4 days a weeks I will be riding a bike for 20 min. I will have the resistance pretty high and peddling slow. I won't do the bike the day before or day after squats. For example, I do squats on monday so I'll ride the bike Wednesday-Saturday.

for my squats, I will be going past 90 degrees and I feel this hits my hammies pretty well but my biggest concern is that I won't be working my hammies enough?

Thoughts on this?

Also, I'm natty so I don't want to over train but am looking for a hardcore leg workout.

7x10 is overkill. I squat 3 times a week

A back squat 5x5 ramped
B front squat 3x5 ramped
C back squat 5z5 ramped

I squat high bar ATG. Hamstring are developing nice cause of the deadlifts. If you are natty in my opinion you should focus on numbers and start looking into programs with periodisation SS, Pendlay 5x5, Madcow, Texas Method etc.

I try to increase the weight 2.5kg every session. I am natty as well. These are my legs at 90kg with 19% bf.

https://i.imgur.com/3nQ5e.jpg

Once you hit 2*bodyweight in the squats you should see awesome quad development.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I am not an expert nor as experienced as other members of the forum. I just try to help :)

Last edited:
So I'm going to try out a routine to build my legs up. It's 3 warms up sets of squats and 7x10 reps to failure. 4 days a weeks I will be riding a bike for 20 min. I will have the resistance pretty high and peddling slow. I won't do the bike the day before or day after squats. For example, I do squats on monday so I'll ride the bike Wednesday-Saturday.

for my squats, I will be going past 90 degrees and I feel this hits my hammies pretty well but my biggest concern is that I won't be working my hammies enough?

Thoughts on this?

You could overtrain by doing so much overall volume with that much frequency. I think you might be better off squatting 3 days a week instead.

You could overtrain by doing so much overall volume with that much frequency. I think you might be better off squatting 3 days a week instead.

I agree..seems like a lot of volume to start off with, especially if natty

He means he will bike 4 days a week, while only squatting once. Honestly I would hit legs 2-3 times a week rather than just once. I feel legs grow best with high reps also. Keep going past 90, hit ATG if you can or just go as deep as possible.

For instance I hit legs 2 times a week:

5x15-20 reps including warmup

Which usually looks like:
1. 20
2. 20
3. 18
4. 16-18
5. 15-16

Squatting 3x a week? Isn't that over doing it or does it cause good gains

Yes, just to clarify I'm talking squatting once a week and biking 4 times. The day before and day after squats I will not bike. I needed to make sure we are on the same page.

That being said, 3 times a week wont over train? I can maybe understand twice.. but three? After a good legs session my legs are pretty wrecked for the next 3-4 days haha. Maybe I'm just a puss :rolleyes:

Yes, just to clarify I'm talking squatting once a week and biking 4 times. The day before and day after squats I will not bike. I needed to make sure we are on the same page.

That being said, 3 times a week wont over train? I can maybe understand twice.. but three? After a good legs session my legs are pretty wrecked for the next 3-4 days haha. Maybe I'm just a puss :rolleyes:

You can do 3x a week for squats, but volume would have to be pretty low each time. 2x a week is great IMO. I wish I could do squats 2x a week but my knees are pretty much wrecked and once a week is it for me.

IF I decide to give this a try do you guys believe it will hit my hammies fine?

the reason I wanted to give it is a shot is because a trusted source told me it will work. he did recommend I could lighten it up an bit and do 2x a week squats but he would rather see me do this and toughen up my mind. To learn to push myself through 7 sets to failure.

IF I decide to give this a try do you guys believe it will hit my hammies fine?

the reason I wanted to give it is a shot is because a trusted source told me it will work. he did recommend I could lighten it up an bit and do 2x a week squats but he would rather see me do this and toughen up my mind. To learn to push myself through 7 sets to failure.

I am not sure if that is the optimum as 7 sets to failure at a highly technical excersise without periodisation will probably lead to a) the use of really light weights or b) an injury. Both of these cases are bad for leg development in my opinion.

For god's sake the original milk and squats program by the legend John MacCallum had you squating 1x20, while eating like a beast (6000+ cal) and it was brutal as fuck!

The following is from the SS wiki "'Ball Busters', Widow-Makers, Man Breakers. These are words used to describe the 20 rep squat. But back in the golden age of bodybuilding, before expensive supplements and better living through chemistry, this is how the old school weight lifters got BIG. If you can suffer though the 6 weeks that it takes to get through this routine you will grow bigger legs and even bigger balls. Mark Rippetoe says, "Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in." Don't say I didn't warn you. "

Also, how many pounds do you squat?

If you squat anything less than 1.5*bodyweight you need to squat at least 2times a week with linear periodisation (e.g. try to increase weight every workout). Once you hit a platue you deload 10% and try to break through. If you fail 3 times in a row deload 20-25% and start increasing more Or eat your way through your sticking points.

Once you hit 1.7 to 2.0* bodyweight squat then you need to weekly periodise your squat.

IF you are doing a BB routine with massive volume you will NOT be able to do the abovementioned, maybe it will be better to look into full body (SS, Pendlay, Bill Star), or push pull routines that have you squating 2 times a week.

You have to learn to love squating if you are natty.. and you have to do it often.. I personally squat every session.. Its not fun.. its painful and its brutal as fuck.. but I learned to love, embrace and respect the squat.

Your hamstrings will develop nicely if you squat properly. If you are so worried about them add a knee flexion exercise, such as heavy glute ham raises (carefull these are difficult as shit.. it took me 6 months to do them with a 45 plate). Also have a look at RDL, good mornings and reverse hyper-extensions. They will not only work your hamstring to pieces but they will work your core A LOT and make you a beast.

My 2c

My disclaimer from the previous post still apply :)

Last edited:
So if I were to do legs twice a week how would I go about doing this? I was thinking of just doing my normal leg routine on the main day and then 5x5's on the second leg day.

For example:
Monday-
squats, target reps 12-15 x3
Leg press, target reps 15-20 x3
Leg extensions, target reps 15-20 x2 (third set is a drop set and go until failure on each weight, usually around 40-50 reps)
Leg curls, target reps 10-15
Straight leg deadlifts 8-12

Thursday-
5x5 squats

My squats are pretty bad. Partly because I was a swimmer most of my life and we have chicken legs :) so I really want to get some good strength and size in them

Squating twice a week seems more reasonable. A heavy day and a volume day and pay attention to upping your numbers.

An update- I'll be doing legs twice a week once finals are over.

Monday-
Leg extensions, target reps 15-20 x2 (third set is a drop set and go until failure on each weight, usually around 40-50 reps)

Thursday-
5x5 squats
Lunges, target reps 10 x3

My questions is, where could I put back day. I do deadlifts and I feel like squatting twice a week will really limit my deadlift weight. I'm thinking maybe saturday?

Why not dead lift one set after each squat work out. Or do a light squat day with some deadlifts

You are worried about your hammies, correct? Do SLDL if you want to get them good. DO these first and then squat, take your hammies out of the squat if you're trying to focus on quads

Well that was the initial concern because I originally wasn't doing anything to specifically target my hammies. But I've switched it up some so hopefully we'll be seeing some good leg developmental soon :)

Thanks for your help guys! You guys rock :headbang:

An update- I'll be doing legs twice a week once finals are over.

Monday-

Thursday-
5x5 squats
Lunges, target reps 10 x3

My questions is, where could I put back day. I do deadlifts and I feel like squatting twice a week will really limit my deadlift weight. I'm thinking maybe saturday?

you don´t need leg extensions. Just squats (and perhaps leg press ) There are many roads to success, one could be:

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...-leg-blasting-quad-gutting-training-info.html

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131