advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS = Wider hips/waist??? Poll!

Squatting and Deadlifting causes a wider waists and hips

• YES

Votes: 114 46.9%
  • NO

Votes: 129 53.1%

• Total voters

tmuscle

Kilo Klub Member
YES OR NO???

ALSO, DETAILS AS TO WHY YOU THINK SO, BASED ON YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES...DO YOU NO LONGER DO THEM TO TRY AND STREAMLINE/TAKE IN THE WAISTLINE ETC...

AND FOR ALL THE NEWBIES OUT THERE WHO SQUAT/DL LESS THAN 2-2.5X BODYWEIGHT...PAY YOUR DUES AND IGNORE THIS THREAD

I will say my waist is the same size now as it was in 2007 and I've been squatting and deadlifting for the last 4 years.

Can I vote "don't care"? Are you going to not do squats and/or deads if the poll answer is yes it makes your waist bigger?

I am starting to believe that yes, to some degree, if you are genetically inclined to have large obliques when those muscles are stimulated then you WILL have a larger waistline when you squat and deadlift due to the activation of oblique and abdominal muscles to stabilize. If you are genetically inclined to have large glutes when you stimulate them via weight training, YES you will have a larger hip and ass.

HOWEVER, if it is in your genetics not to have a large oblique or glute then you are lucky my friend...If it ain't in your genetics to have large obliques or glutes then they won't enlarge to such a HUGE degree unless you try to target them directly. Just like people who are seeking the magic cure for a huge upper chest when they are lower pec dominant...you can blast the inclines as much as you want but in the end you will still be lower pec dominant...its just your genetics and you can't fight the hand of god my friend...

BUT, for those of you who have large oblique and glute muscles GENETICALLY, have you cut down your squatting and deadlifting????

Yeah, I dont think this has anything to do with it. Look at pics of branch about three years ago his waist was fairly small, ronnies was small through out most of his pro career also. The waist growth I think has alot to do with genetics age and growth hormone.

Ive been squatting my ass off for three years straight with a max of 655 and my waist hasnt grown an inch. Personally I cant speak about deads because I dont do them. Maybe deads do but I know for a fact squats dont.

I am starting to believe that yes, to some degree, if you are genetically inclined to have large obliques when those muscles are stimulated then you WILL have a larger waistline when you squat and deadlift due to the activation of oblique and abdominal muscles to stabilize. If you are genetically inclined to have large glutes when you stimulate them via weight training, YES you will have a larger hip and ass.

HOWEVER, if it is in your genetics not to have a large oblique or glute then you are lucky my friend...If it ain't in your genetics to have large obliques or glutes then they won't enlarge to such a HUGE degree unless you try to target them directly. Just like people who are seeking the magic cure for a huge upper chest when they are lower pec dominant...you can blast the inclines as much as you want but in the end you will still be lower pec dominant...its just your genetics and you can't fight the hand of god my friend...

BUT, for those of you who have large oblique and glute muscles GENETICALLY, have you cut down your squatting and deadlifting????

Yea bro I pretty much agree with you on this one I think it does have alot to do with genetics but I dont think most people squat and deadlift enough for it to even have any effect. Or the amount of weight it takes to enlarge your waist.

I have a fairly large waist. In contest shape, empty stomach, it measured around 33 1/2 inches.

I also squat very heavy and deadlift heavier. My trainer told me to cut the deadlifts out to keep from exacerbating the situation. So far I have listened, but my waist is the same size ( as I would expect), but has not gotten bigger.

It begs the question: does sq/dl ing heavy weight cause a big waist?

Or are the able to lift so much weight because they genetically have the big waist/hips?

Can I vote "don't care"? Are you going to not do squats and/or deads if the poll answer is yes it makes your waist bigger?

If there is substantial evidence that it does, absolutly.

I just think the growth you get out of squats and dead outweighs any potential for waist growth. I suppose though that if you are very advanced, you may be able to drop them at that point. I certainly am not there!

I agree! I definitely get a wider waist when I squat/deadlift. I once tried to cut them out of my program and I got smaller round the waist. The last 1,5 years I have done more squats and deadlifts then ever and my waist is larger than ever with the same diet. I do not plan on cutting them out though because I love doing them.

I have a fairly large waist. In contest shape, empty stomach, it measured around 33 1/2 inches.

I also squat very heavy and deadlift heavier. My trainer told me to cut the deadlifts out to keep from exacerbating the situation. So far I have listened, but my waist is the same size ( as I would expect), but has not gotten bigger.

It begs the question: does sq/dl ing heavy weight cause a big waist?

Or are the able to lift so much weight because they genetically have the big waist/hips?

I hear you on that man. At low bodyfat % I have a tiny waist, however, measuring 29 inches. I am genetically predisposed to have huge glutes though when stimulated and thus I have a pretty good squat. I was wondering if cutting down on the squats would lower the possibility for further growth because I really don't want any more growth in that area.

I used to train under iron addict, aka wesley silveira RIP, and he just said "just shut the hell up and deadlift and squat if you want to build that upper body more." Man I wish he was still around so I can ask him if I can get the same growth in my upper without growth on my ass... Now that I am an advanced trainee, I could really use a voice of reason in this matter. Ever since he passed away, ironaddicts.com has gone to shit. anyways, i am going on a tangent..

I have heard of, however, that advanced trainees doing less squatting and deadlifting to bring in the waistline. Trainees such as bboy and Dusty Hanshaw, for example. (Forgive me if I am wrong)

I agree! I definitely get a wider waist when I squat/deadlift. I once tried to cut them out of my program and I got smaller round the waist. The last 1,5 years I have done more squats and deadlifts then ever and my waist is larger than ever with the same diet. I do not plan on cutting them out though because I love doing them.

BUT, when you cut out these movements didn't you get smaller overall and lost size in your upper body? OR did you maintain size on the upper and in the quads and hams???

Yes when I cut out the squatting and deadlifting my waist goes down but I notice that my overall size goes down as well. However, I have been a natural lifter for the greater part of my lifting career so I don't feel as though I have such a commanding opinion in the matter.

I am starting to believe that while on "super supps" you can hold the same amount of upper body size and leg size, while slightly reducing the waist and hip size, when removing squats and/or deadlifts, and replace them with other exercises which are more isolation such as hack squats, leg presses, etc...but still go HEAVY.

Yes, they will widen your hips and waist. Especially if you don't use a belt.

As a power lifter I say yes, without a doubt.

yes they do. to me any way.

Squats and deadlifts are the backbone of my routine and my waist is only 33.5 with a good bit of belly fat to diet off so for me there fine. My waist will still diet down to below 32 easy

My glutes and hips blew up in size pretty good when I started pulling and squatting. Always getting comments from regular people (girls) about my glutes . .

As for my waist . . . nothing for me to worry about:D

Been doing them both since gas was 32 cents a gallon. Bigger quads and glutes absolutely!! Waist and hips NO!

Will a dude with narrow shoulders get wide shoulders from presses? No, but the shoulders may get a little bit thicker.

Im a powerlifter so sorry if this is a noob question but are big glutes a bad thing in body building? I always thought that was a good thing. Girls love my big firm butt. I <3 squats.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131