advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS = Wider hips/waist??? Poll!

Squatting and Deadlifting causes a wider waists and hips

• YES

Votes: 114 46.9%
  • NO

Votes: 129 53.1%

• Total voters
Anyone get big quads from deads?

here are my $.02... I just competed in my 2nd show and my 1st show was two years ago. My waist from the front looks smaller but I was also a lot leaner in this second show. Now, I squat a lot and my legs improved quite a bit between shows. i dont deadlift but i do rack deads every 3-4 weeks so not a lot. My first show i fit comfortably into a size 34 pants. My second show in which i was leaner I could put the 34 pants on but after a meal or two it was uncomfortable. I dont like my pants tight on my waist.

Keep in mind i put almost 20lbs of stage weight on between the two shows. So if you account for the added muscle I dont think squats significatly add a lot of waist size. Maybe a litle but if you are growing i would assume your waist would grow just a little along with everything else.

My official answer. Squat and deadlift all you want and dont worry about your waist. i think they bring way more benefit then deficiet.

I would go with no, but thats just me. And Im biased since Ive done both lifts since high school.

Belt up and do work.....
Are u a woman or a man?
A lot depends on how wide your stance is and how deep you travel in your movement....
You also have to take in account on your height.

Depth and width shouldn't have much to do with it IMO. Arnold and Franco used to dead and squat all the time.

Never noticed any difference with my waist. Pants always fit the same. But I guess it may depend on genetics. Guys who grow like weeds may have this problem possibly, but can't tell you for sure. I can tell you that deads never did a damn thing for my fucking traps. They would be sore the next day or so, but never grew from doing deads.

True arnold and franco among all originators do both squats and deadlift.
Pretty sure ur waist is fine, but your glutes will spread with heavy lifts and a wide stance....
Look at every power lifter out there. The post about this one..... and nothing is wrong with having mans size set of glutes.... but keep it in proportion to what you are tryn to achieve.....

all these years i squat and deadlift a lot,havent notice any waist widens and my glutes is still small and flat :(

My only disclaimer is that Im taller than an average person, but I squatted and deadlifted heavy for football for over 8 years high school/college and honestly my waist never got drastically bigger aside from naturally (at the time) putting on muscle. It was never a serious increase, but man did that type of heavy lifting put on overall size over the years. This really isn't something to be overly worried about, for very advanced bodybuilders maybe they can do well with cable work and similar lower impact exercises, but for the young guns trying to put on mass you can beat squats/deads, period.

I'm a woman as you can see in my pic and my squats have gotten up to 300lbs (NOT on the damn smith machine..actual squat rack)
Ive never had an issue with my waist getting bigger or with deadlifts
I Always wear a belt and keep that shit super tight

I would have to say no. Unless your diet is way out of whack. I've been doing both since I have started and I can still manage into a 32 waist.

I wouldn't say they get wider but ur obliques do get more shapely and denser when u regularly keep upping the weight and going heavy. I've noticed that on myself. Still a 30inch waist tho. Gotta wear size 36 pants tho cuz of my ass and thighs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My waist is still 29 inches after 15 years of heavy squats and deadlifts. My legs grow very well but my butt doesn't. White guy problems... Always wear a belt when I hit 315 or heavier. Even repping 405 on squat for sets of 8-10 didn't make my hips or waist grow and I'm a little guy 5'8" 190lbs. Legs barely fit in jeans unless I buy size 32 jeans and even then I'm afraid I might start a forest fire from all the friction.

I found that food make my waist wider :p. I don't get how squat or deadlift is going to wide that much your waist.

I do allot of heavy squats and dead lifts for 15 years.

I believe it has widen a bit. This is due to the overall increase in muscle mass over the years of offseason.

I prefer to do the squats and deads for reps later in the workout, so the amount of weight is definitely allot less then it would be if I was doing heavy low reps at the beginning.

Hard on the ego, easier on the lumbar spine

My waist has always stayed the same throughout the years. It's my glutes and quads that give me the tight pants.....

I was a 32 waist when I was 6'2 140lbs, I'm now 6'2 230lbs and my waist is still a 32. So I find it unlikely unless you have a weird wide stance or something.

But for me, no.

I agree with the bro that said genetics play a huge role in it.. Genetics and diet of course.... If your waist is to big just grow your delts, lats and legs am I right? 😂

YES OR NO???

ALSO, DETAILS AS TO WHY YOU THINK SO, BASED ON YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES...DO YOU NO LONGER DO THEM TO TRY AND STREAMLINE/TAKE IN THE WAISTLINE ETC...

AND FOR ALL THE NEWBIES OUT THERE WHO SQUAT/DL LESS THAN 2-2.5X BODYWEIGHT...PAY YOUR DUES AND IGNORE THIS THREAD

IMO, Squats and deadlifts, by their nature are going to thicken your waistline to an extent. How much, of course, would be determined by the parameters of your training, and more importantly, your genetics.

There's great benefit to be had from both exercises. The only way to see how they'll affect you is to do them consistently, and keep an eye on your mirror.

This is just another reason why the exercises put into a routine need consideration, rather than just "throwing in" a bunch of various moves, with little/no thought to their effects on the desired physique.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws