over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squatting 3 times per week?

I've never gone more then 2x a week personally. One day heavy and the second more of a pump/higher volume.

It's very hard if not impossible to recover for us mere mortals if you're pushing any kind of intensity. I found that once I stopped this, after 5 weeks, my legs did grow.

I think the overloading and probably "over training" did work but, not until I destroyed them and went back to more rest.

I agree with you too, but I don't feel that i'm overtraining, i'm only doing warm-up sets, then 3 sets of 20 reps, with light weight, but going progressively heavier every workout and going ATG rock bottom with my feet close together to hit the outer quads... Now I will likely only keep this up for about a month though, I start eating stricter may 1st, so less food, no more shakes pre nor intra workouts... But this routine serves to get the feel of the squat again, improve my form and from there I can develop a good routine and use that as a base...

I'll increase the volume and intensity, add more movements but cut down to putting them in a regular rotation with my two other days... (chest, back) and (delts, bi, tri)... I really do like how my quads are constantly pumped and slightly sore, it makes me feel as if I'm doing something right and who knows? Maybe i'm on to something and others can benefit from this if it goes well and others want to try this if they're looking for something new to stimulate growth or mix up their routine... Because what I was doing wasn't working, that's for damn sure...

I think squatting everyday or a few times a week heavy is probably a good way to prematurely wear out hips knees and I don't really see a huge benefit unless you just did it like a few times a year tto just really shock your legs,

Recovery is how you grow, not training the muscle to death.

Agreed!

Personally I generally try to do the minimum necessary to illicit some growth/strength response not see how much work I can tolerate!!

I have tried squatting more frequently and, almost immediately, it just screws my lower back.

Right now I squat on average 3x a week . 6x2-3 . Works better than high rep stuff for me.

Have any of you ever tried squatting 3 times per week? I remember doing 1-3 sets of 20 reps Monday, Wednesday and Friday in my late teens and I made very good size and strength gains. I am considering doing something like this again, but now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not sure that I can recover as quickly... I tried doing this on Monday with light weight, but went ATG for 3 sets of 20 reps. I trained delts, bi, tri today and was going to squat again tomorrow morning, but I'm still pretty sore from yesterday's workout... In fact, I am more sore from the 3 sets of 20 with light weight, than what I've been in a long time with about triple the weight...

Another option is to train legs, but focus on leg presses and leg extensions for quads and doing heavier deadlifts for hamstrings... Monday, I only did leg curls and my hams aren't sore at all... Then go back to squats on Friday and add to the weight I did Monday...

Anyone have experience with training legs 3 times per week? I was looking through the featured members on this board and I did come across one of the earlier members who did squats twice per week and a third leg workout that focused on lunges and leg extensions...

Yes I do.

Yes I do.

Haha! I saw that you responded to my thread and I came here as fast as I could to see what you had to say about this being that it was practiced before with the older school bodybuilders and so I was all eyes and ears... Would you please give your opinion? How do you do with this type of routine and if you could give specifics as to what else you did, that would be greatly appreciated!
I do consider your comments very valuable, especially on this matter...

Actually I dug up the featured member, I personally don't know him or remember any of his posts, but when I read this post about training legs 3 times a week; it made me want to try squatting more often and also focusing on more calf work... Here it is:

Winner: VANDER_V

Vander is a successful local-level bodybuilder. He is a very active
member of the board.

Vander has been featured in Flex, Muscle Mag, Ironman, and Planet
Muscle and just finished a cover shoot for Muscle MAG magazines. He
has also modeled for several different companies and his picture
has ended up in magazine advertisements.

Vander has contributed the following info:

training Schedule:

Monday - Quads
Tues - Back & Calves
Weds - Hamstrings
Thurs -Bis, Tris & Calves
Fri - Lunges & Shoulders
Sat - Chest & Calves
Sun - Off

What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Use the mind. Think and grow big, I'd say the most overlooked gift
in bodybuilding is the mind, conquer your thoughts and visions and
achieve victory.

What is Your Basic Nutrition Plan?
At least 300g of protein, 450g carbs per day, 4 to 5 cups of
veggies and 2 to 3 protein shakes daily.

What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
protein shakes and creatine but most of all red meat

Haha! I saw that you responded to my thread and I came here as fast as I could to see what you had to say about this being that it was practiced before with the older school bodybuilders and so I was all eyes and ears... Would you please give your opinion? How do you do with this type of routine and if you could give specifics as to what else you did, that would be greatly appreciated!
I do consider your comments very valuable, especially on this matter...

I use to be in Olympic weightlifting, we use to train legs 4 times per week, directly or indirectly. You can train your legs every day if you want to, or 2 times, 3 times or once every week or every 5th day, depend on how heavy and how many sets and how many different exercises. If one of those that incorporate every single leg exercise per workouts than 3 time per week is not for you. Squats should be the basic, the reps should be higher then 12 reps.

I use to be in Olympic weightlifting, we use to train legs 4 times per week, directly or indirectly. You can train your legs every day if you want to, or 2 times, 3 times or once every week or every 5th day, depend on how heavy and how many sets and how many different exercises. If one of those that incorporate every single leg exercise per workouts than 3 time per week is not for you. Squats should be the basic, the reps should be higher then 12 reps.

That is impressive! 4 times a week? Wow... No I do 3 sets of squats, 20 reps only... I warm up with leg extensions and leg curls... 4 sets of each... I started with 95lbs, then went up to 115, then 135 on my first workout... I went rock bottom with my stance narrower than usual... The next workout I added 10lbs per side to each of my previous weights... Same thing... I plan on doing this for about a month... The purpose is to relearn the squat, feel the weight, fix my form and get my strength back...

Once I have my squat strength back, I will go back to a more traditional leg routine with more rest days in between, more sets and more movements, but keep the squat as the main movement... Meanwhile, my legs are feeling more pumped, stiff and sore which I like, I have also gained 1" on my quads in one week... Although I was dieting hard for one month and the first week, I started bulking and plan to bulk for all of April... Starting May 1st I diet again...

3-4x a week is what I had always done and what I do for clients for weak points...

That is impressive! 4 times a week? Wow... No I do 3 sets of squats, 20 reps only... I warm up with leg extensions and leg curls... 4 sets of each... I started with 95lbs, then went up to 115, then 135 on my first workout... I went rock bottom with my stance narrower than usual... The next workout I added 10lbs per side to each of my previous weights... Same thing... I plan on doing this for about a month... The purpose is to relearn the squat, feel the weight, fix my form and get my strength back...

Once I have my squat strength back, I will go back to a more traditional leg routine with more rest days in between, more sets and more movements, but keep the squat as the main movement... Meanwhile, my legs are feeling more pumped, stiff and sore which I like, I have also gained 1" on my quads in one week... Although I was dieting hard for one month and the first week, I started bulking and plan to bulk for all of April... Starting May 1st I diet again...

Vey smart. When you back to the traditional training still keep high repetitions.

3-4x a week is what I had always done and what I do for clients for weak points...

Legs are one of the most important body part, is 1/2 of our body. Most of the retied athletes, in any sport, stop paying attention to the lower body, that way they and up with skinny legs after they retied.

I had to rest a little, still got in 2 solid days of squatting last week, I was way too worn out and drained, I had a couple of workouts later in the day... today, I almost did delts and arms instead, but went ahead and trained legs, but did the trap bar... my first time using it, I got 135,185,225,275 for 10 and 225 for 30 reps... my quads were really pumped... my legs have improved over the past month... I'm get in there and squat again probably Tuesday... tomorrow i'm off completely and Monday will be delts, arms and calves... I'm progressively adding weight to the squat, even if only a little, keeping the form tight and squatting with a narrower stance...

Legs are one of the most important body part, is 1/2 of our body. Most of the retied athletes, in any sport, stop paying attention to the lower body, that way they and up with skinny legs after they retied.

For myself as I have gotten older I really enjoy and look forward to training legs,,,I used to absolutely hate training legs!

I think the answer to your question depends on the lifters form. If you can execute a perfect squat, absolutely go for it.

Now if your like the majority of the population your squat is less than pretty and going to get you in trouble at some point.

Squatting is very overrated if your form is not perfect.

Have any of you ever tried squatting 3 times per week? I remember doing 1-3 sets of 20 reps Monday, Wednesday and Friday in my late teens and I made very good size and strength gains. I am considering doing something like this again, but now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not sure that I can recover as quickly... I tried doing this on Monday with light weight, but went ATG for 3 sets of 20 reps. I trained delts, bi, tri today and was going to squat again tomorrow morning, but I'm still pretty sore from yesterday's workout... In fact, I am more sore from the 3 sets of 20 with light weight, than what I've been in a long time with about triple the weight...

Another option is to train legs, but focus on leg presses and leg extensions for quads and doing heavier deadlifts for hamstrings... Monday, I only did leg curls and my hams aren't sore at all... Then go back to squats on Friday and add to the weight I did Monday...

Anyone have experience with training legs 3 times per week? I was looking through the featured members on this board and I did come across one of the earlier members who did squats twice per week and a third leg workout that focused on lunges and leg extensions...

That reminds me of Randall J. Strossen book I followed back in my teens with 1x20 with forced breathing, Super Squats how to gain 30lbs. in 6 weeks...now into my early 40's I think this is what I should be doing on leg day.

I think the answer to your question depends on the lifters form. If you can execute a perfect squat, absolutely go for it.

Now if your like the majority of the population your squat is less than pretty and going to get you in trouble at some point.

Squatting is very overrated if your form is not perfect.

Well, my form sucked, I kept getting minor tears on the inside of my quad, I just kept using light weight and doing the same workout over and over... The purpose of this was to improve my form, start from scratch with very little weight, do high reps, only three sets or so and train more often...

This serves to improve my form, get me used to the squat again and keep blood in my legs all the time, this seems to be working...

Well, my form sucked, I kept getting minor tears on the inside of my quad, I just kept using light weight and doing the same workout over and over... The purpose of this was to improve my form, start from scratch with very little weight, do high reps, only three sets or so and train more often...

This serves to improve my form, get me used to the squat again and keep blood in my legs all the time, this seems to be working...

There are many variations of the squat to choose from possibly choose less taxing forms such as lunges or single leg squats to give lower back a break.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws