over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squatting by pushing knees forward

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Tore my miniscus 10 years ago, pretty much havent done anything for legs since then, even the past couple years since I got back to this. The only thing I would do is calves, some hip abduction for glutes, and maybe some hamstrings. Occasionally I'd do a couple weeks if leg extensions or machine squats, but they would always mess up my knee.

But a few days ago a buddy in the gym was talking about squats, and I noticed his legs looked kind of funky, and I asked him about it, and he started talking about different techniques. And I tried one of them - squatting by pushing my knees forward (instead of keeping my shins at 90 degrees to the floor) - and it felt smooth.

So I got under 135 and did a few sets of ten and it felt better than I even remember. So I went up to 225, and to 315, and my legs/glutes felt great squatting that way. And a few days later, and the knees still feel good.

I thought it share this in case any of you are interested. Perhaps you have some other tips. One thing that did happen on the set of 5 with 315, was I felt like I started to use my back too much, and my buddy told me to try pushing my back backwards at the bottom as I start to go up, and that actually helped a little bit on the next set I tried.

When you tore it did you hear cracking crunching every time you bend it ? And can you still feel and hear it

I’ve torn something haven’t got around to a mri scan yet but it cracks and crunches every time I bend my knee sounds horrible

somethings broken of either cartilage or the miniscus

Yeah, the irony is that oversimplified dogma can actually cause more damage--glad you realized this. If you are going to hip hinge properly in the squat the angle of the tibia will actually appear parallel to the angle of low back, not straight up and down. This shift of the knee forward also allows the patella to track properly.

Years ago there was study where one group of nurses was simply told "don't use your back with lifting patients" while the other group was given no instructions. A year later the group that had been given the "tip" actually had a higher rate of injury since they were engaging in unnatural kinematics in order to adhere to the vague concept of completely not using the back.

When you tore it did you hear cracking crunching every time you bend it ? And can you still feel and hear it

I’ve torn something haven’t got around to a mri scan yet but it cracks and crunches every time I bend my knee sounds horrible

I heard it crack when I tore it and then I couldn't walk the next day. Don't remember hearing cracking/crunching otherwise. But I don't know.

Yeah, the irony is that oversimplified dogma can actually cause more damage--glad you realized this. If you are going to hip hinge properly in the squat the angle of the tibia will actually appear parallel to the angle of low back, not straight up and down. This shift of the knee forward also allows the patella to track properly.

Years ago there was study where one group of nurses was simply told "don't use your back with lifting patients" while the other group was given no instructions. A year later the group that had been given the "tip" actually had a higher rate of injury since they were engaging in unnatural kinematics in order to adhere to the vague concept of completely not using the back.
To be honest all you did with this post was just make me confused 😂

I find having my knees move forward a moderate amount is painless and natural. An drastic amount cause pain long term. Leg extensions kill my knees for the last 20 years. When doing machine squats I try to keep my back especially lower back off the pad so the hips can load and move in a more natural manner. When pushing back against the pad it causes more stress on the knee.

Sounds like sissy squats. They’re okay in moderation I suppose, but they put a lot of stress on the patellar tendon with the intent to focus on the quad. After so long, you could develop patellar tendonitis/osis.
There are better safer quad dominant exercises.

"Tore my meniscus 10 years ago, pretty much haven't done anything for legs since then"

But why?

There is no rule about 90degree knees, that is really bad broscience, this all has to do with natural hip and knee mechanics and length of bones, height, etc. You can 'sit back' on the hips or be too far forward over the toes, but it's the neutral position that will balance the pressure over the knees and remove steering forces that common causes of knee pain.

Aggravates my knee
ya doing something wrong

I think if youre being honest with yourself you could say its just much easier to skip leg day like most bros do.
They are brutal and it sucks and to do them more efficiently might mean dropping your ego and doing less weight.

Its hard to talk biomechanics online especially when everyone uses different terms. But anyway, a squat should feel natural. You should grip the floor with your feet and squeeze all muscles in your body just the same and then follow a comfortable arc of motion.

And OP, you did 315 on your first few squat sessions. Wow, impressive, but don't ever be afraid use lesser weight and go for higher reps. If you have past meniscus issues be careful flying too close to the sun.

i have this with my knees. did Olympic WL style squats for years. even with just bodyweight when i squat down very deep i get this crunchy grinding noise. it's not really painful but it sounds like something's not right in there. it's not the same sound what shoulders make when i stretch and it happens with every single rep in squats and even lunges. getting old sucks.

Its hard to talk biomechanics online especially when everyone uses different terms. But anyway, a squat should feel natural. You should grip the floor with your feet and squeeze all muscles in your body just the same and then follow a comfortable arc of motion.

And OP, you did 315 on your first few squat sessions. Wow, impressive, but don't ever be afraid use lesser weight and go for higher reps. If you have past meniscus issues be careful flying too close to the sun.
Daedalus and Icarus?

Tore my miniscus 10 years ago, pretty much havent done anything for legs since then, even the past couple years since I got back to this. The only thing I would do is calves, some hip abduction for glutes, and maybe some hamstrings. Occasionally I'd do a couple weeks if leg extensions or machine squats, but they would always mess up my knee.

But a few days ago a buddy in the gym was talking about squats, and I noticed his legs looked kind of funky, and I asked him about it, and he started talking about different techniques. And I tried one of them - squatting by pushing my knees forward (instead of keeping my shins at 90 degrees to the floor) - and it felt smooth.

So I got under 135 and did a few sets of ten and it felt better than I even remember. So I went up to 225, and to 315, and my legs/glutes felt great squatting that way. And a few days later, and the knees still feel good.

I thought it share this in case any of you are interested. Perhaps you have some other tips. One thing that did happen on the set of 5 with 315, was I felt like I started to use my back too much, and my buddy told me to try pushing my back backwards at the bottom as I start to go up, and that actually helped a little bit on the next set I tried.
If you could make or find a video displaying this form and post it, I would very much appreciate it.
Really glad to hear that your knee is holding up!

I've always felt that Tom Platz allowed his patella to shift further forward when performing squats than most bodybuilders.
Man does he shoot them forward in a hack squat.

ya doing something wrong

I think if youre being honest with yourself you could say its just much easier to skip leg day like most bros do.
They are brutal and it sucks and to do them more efficiently might mean dropping your ego and doing less weight.
Idk it's kind of fun to blast legs when your able to

I just haven't been able to without making it so that I can't sit down or stand up without severe pain

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws