over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Starting an online supplement shop

jotro1

Registered
Alright guys, so I'm 24 and have been working in insurance sales for the past few years. I'm miserable, but I've made a decent living. A good living for my age. Ok, so I've finally saved up about 8 grand and would like to know what y'all's thoughts are on putting together an online nutrition store. I'm currently looking for wholesale providers. Does anyone know how I can locate them? I've been researching a lot and I know this could work. I really would like some input from people who have started there own business's.

I would start this up as a side job since I'm able to work from home for insurance as well. It would be nice to eventually have it up and running and be my primary source of income. So again if anyone has inputs that would be great.

Thanks bros!

In 2004 when I got out of the Marines I went to work at WalMart working 3rd shift and during the day I started selling Lingerie on eBay. I eventually opened an eBay store and a year later I opened an online store through Yahoo small business program.

Now I don't know much about selling supplements, but I'm sure it's the same concept. You first need to find your products to sell. With Women's clothing if you don't know anyone or know the business you will start out dealing with wholesellers and then you will realize and go direct to the manufactures. Some manufactures will drop ship your products direct to your customers other will require you to purchase a certain amount.

If you decide to start your online business you are in for some hard work and long hours. It takes a long time to design and add products to your website, then the site is never done. Your always having sales, adding and removing products, advertising. You have to deal with customers, payment processors, USPS, UPS, and a ton of other things that will come up.

You need to run an online business just like a real business. You need all licenses and you have to pay taxes. The first thing you should do is come up with a name for your business and then see if you can buy that domain name for your website. I suggest name.com to do a domain search and then you will have to decide on a shopping cart provider such as volusion or pinnaclecart for your online store.

If this is what you want to do then I say go for it and don't let anyone deter you. It's a lot of work but it pays off in the end not only financially but the feeling you get when you have customers always calling you telling you how great your products and services are.

I want to be positive as anyone wanting to set up their own business is a great thing. Plus it is something your passionate about so even better. But I can't see it going really far. Other areas/products completely and I think you could do great. But there is so much competition and at the end of the day your buying from a wholesaler and you are a middleman without any buying power so it would be hard to compete against established retaliers who have much more buying power than you. ust adding obviously everyone can have a share of the market... big or small... but just trying to highlight how much harder it would be for you without the money behind you.

The good thing about the net is the low start up costs but 8 grand is not alot of money today. You need traffic to your website so you need effective advertising. Even on here you have direct competition plus the monthly fees are quite high. I would love you to follow your dream and make it but something tells me you may be disappointed. It's upto you. I would love to be in your position and would like to do the same. Perhaps others can chime in who have done the exact same thing. I would definately look into setting up shop on ebay to begin with... that will get you used to things. You could still have your own website/store too but ebay is definately a good starting place imo.

Last edited:
When i was part owner of the nutrition store most if not all my stuff i was getting from europasports distributor.
you can check them

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I know it will take a lot of dedication and time, but I'm willing to put my life into it. I will definitely check out europasports. I really appreciate it everything y'all have said!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I know it will take a lot of dedication and time, but I'm willing to put my life into it. I will definitely check out europasports. I really appreciate it everything y'all have said!

Exactly... prove me wrong :D I didn't mean to be negative just want you to do well. When you have that passion an actual shop would be great. But the obvious negative of that is much greater start up costs (rent etc etc). But again it can be hard. There is only one sole trader supplement shop in my city (UK) and they have been there years. All the others are nationwide brands. But if you have the passion/knowledge/skill you can make anything work.

I would love to own my own supplement shop. I used to manage one here (like gnc in the us). Especially when it comes to gym supplements if you look the part you can go far. It's abit like personal training in a sense. I used to get guys come in asking me to write them diets and gym routines and they would buy tonnes of supplements. The personal touch is harder to be made via online when contact is minimal (apart from e-mails).

Are you good with computers? Can you design websites? All that will be key imo. Plus finding the right choice of supplements at the right prices. If you get the right contacts you will be off to the best start. Hopefully others like Dado5 can chime in who have the info you need. Goodluck with everything.

Exactly... prove me wrong :D I didn't mean to be negative just want you to do well. When you have that passion an actual shop would be great. But the obvious negative of that is much greater start up costs (rent etc etc). But again it can be hard. There is only one sole trader supplement shop in my city (UK) and they have been there years. All the others are nationwide brands. But if you have the passion/knowledge/skill you can make anything work.

I would love to own my own supplement shop. I used to manage one here (like gnc in the us). Especially when it comes to gym supplements if you look the part you can go far. It's abit like personal training in a sense. I used to get guys come in asking me to write them diets and gym routines and they would buy tonnes of supplements. The personal touch is harder to be made via online when contact is minimal (apart from e-mails).

Are you good with computers? Can you design websites? All that will be key imo. Plus finding the right choice of supplements at the right prices. If you get the right contacts you will be off to the best start. Hopefully others like Dado5 can chime in who have the info you need. Goodluck with everything.

I do have the passion and drive! I hope that it's enough, but if not its not the end of the world. I have a very good attitude and have been successful thus far in life. I'd like to transfer it to something I love and can put my heart and soul into.

As for computers I have a close family friend who designs sites. He will put it together for $1000 which is excellent considering he charges 10000 for a site and 1 year up keep.

Also I have spoken with a friend of the family about renting a shop. Will give me first year free to get on my feet as long as I sign a two year agreement. It's good to know good people!

Elvia thanks! I knew there would be cons and I appreciate you being real brother.

As for computers I have a close family friend who designs sites. He will put it together for $1000 which is excellent considering he charges 10000 for a site and 1 year up keep.

There are a few things you should know.

1st is that you should avoid having a family member do anything for your business unless they are a partner. I causes more trouble than it's worth.

2nd If you plan on selling online you will need a shopping cart. Not a website designed. This you can design all by your self. There is no way someone would design a shopping cart, add hundreds if not thousands of products, make daily changes and so forth for $1000.00

If you want to sell online you need to look into an online shopping cart like Volusion, Big Commerce, or Pinnacle Cart and do it all yourself. You have to understand that an online store will require daily maintenance.

There are a few things you should know.

1st is that you should avoid having a family member do anything for your business unless they are a partner. I causes more trouble than it's worth.

2nd If you plan on selling online you will need a shopping cart. Not a website designed. This you can design all by your self. There is no way someone would design a shopping cart, add hundreds if not thousands of products, make daily changes and so forth for $1000.00

If you want to sell online you need to look into an online shopping cart like Volusion, Big Commerce, or Pinnacle Cart and do it all yourself. You have to understand that an online store will require daily maintenance.

I just was thinking that without the right hyperlinks and context it'll never pop up in google. Or if it does its like 20 pages back. The guy I was talking about tried to explain it, but it went right over my head. Anyways he claims its possible to get on the second search page if done correctly. But I'm going to look at getting a shopping cart on top of that.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your wisdom. I would like to succeed!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131