over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Starting younger cousin lifting...HELP!

king_23

Newbies
I myself am a bodybuilder. I have pretty good knowledge on the basics and such. Anyways, I have a younger cousin who wants to start lifting and I am going to be his trainer.

His stats:

Height: 5'7
Weight: 135

As far as supplements, I don't have him taking anything, I'm not sure if he even should at his age.

As for a diet I have him taking a 50g protein shake in the morning and post workout he is taking 50g protein plus 50g carbs from karbolic. I had some extra karbolic laying around and I figured that would be good for him so he gets good carbs in with his protein right after his workouts. He also has a protein shake at night. So he is getting a little over 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. Other than that he eats whatever he wants.

I have a good lower body workout for him. I'm just having him do extremely light squats and practicing good form. I don't want him to get hurt and I want his form to be perfect.

For upper body I'm not sure where to start him. Obviously, bench press with good form. Right now I haven't been in charge of his upper body routine. He is doing some basic things such as curls, skull crushers, and doing floor benching with the curl bar. He is doing that 3-4 times a week and does 6 sets of each for high reps with light weight.

Obviously this upper body routine is shit, but it was good that he was at least doing SOMETHING.

Anyways, any tips or suggestions would be awesome. I'm hesitant to start him on any supplements other than a multivitamin. I was thinking once I get him on a solid routine adding in creatine, glutamine, and bcaas. Not sure if he should even mess with anything like that though since he is still so young and a beginner.

Let me know what you guys think. Anything on workouts, diet, supplements, etc.

***Extra note: He is into football and basketball so he lifting is going to be preferably geared more towards power lifting and strength rather than bodybuilding. I think powerlifting is the best way to start out anyways. Look forward to hearing from you guys!!!!

I started training my little brother when he was 15. Honestly I do not even think they need all the bcaa's, creating ect.... When they are that young they grow no matter what. My little brother is 17 and damn near catching up to me. The only supplements I ever gave home were a pre workout like jack3d and protein post workout. It is insane the progress he has made in the past 2 1/2 years. He's a mini gym rat now. He doesn't go out drinking like most of his friends because he doesn't want to lose any muscle. Even a half ass diet at that age is going to do wonders. It's good your starting him young like that. I wish I had a big bro to take me under the wing and show me the ropes that young.

As far as supplements, I don't have him taking anything, I'm not sure if he even should at his age.

As for a diet I have him taking a 50g protein shake in the morning and post workout he is taking 50g protein plus 50g carbs from karbolic. I had some extra karbolic laying around and I figured that would be good for him so he gets good carbs in with his protein right after his workouts. He also has a protein shake at night.
you don't have him taking any supplements but you have him taking protein shakes and karbolic :confused:

at 15 years old I think he is old enough to start a very basic lifting routine concentrating mostly on compound exercises (not stupid curls and skullcrushers) obviously stressing the importance of form

I started training my little brother when he was 15. Honestly I do not even think they need all the bcaa's, creating ect.... When they are that young they grow no matter what. My little brother is 17 and damn near catching up to me. The only supplements I ever gave home were a pre workout like jack3d and protein post workout. It is insane the progress he has made in the past 2 1/2 years. He's a mini gym rat now. He doesn't go out drinking like most of his friends because he doesn't want to lose any muscle. Even a half ass diet at that age is going to do wonders. It's good your starting him young like that. I wish I had a big bro to take me under the wing and show me the ropes that young.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. When I was his age I didn't take anything and I was able to grow like a weed. Part of that was because I have fairly good genetics and I also ate like a horse. A big appetite runs in my family. It's funny because I was a picky eater but once I was around his age I started eating anything and everything. I was able to stay lean and make great gains. What type of workout do you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

you don't have him taking any supplements but you have him taking protein shakes and karbolic :confused:

at 15 years old I think he is old enough to start a very basic lifting routine concentrating mostly on compound exercises (not stupid curls and skullcrushers) obviously stressing the importance of form

I guess I misspoke. I wasn't considering protein shakes and karbolic a supplement when in reality they are supplements. However, they are both safe and I can't think of any negative aspects to it. Karbolic is somewhat expensive but his parents don't care and will probably buy him whatever I suggest. That way he is getting good carbs and protein post workout like I said.

Also, I agree on starting with a very basic routine. I know what he is doing now is retarded but he just started with that for a few weeks and is waiting on my to get him a real routine. Although I want to focus on the compound exercises, I think having him do at least some curls is a good idea. Although they won't help him athletically, people always notice arms. I remember when I started lifting the first thing people noticed was my arms growing. Hearing people say that and giving me compliments helped motivate me to work even harder and stay consistent. Basically, it will help mentally. Thanks for your reply.

you are doing great with what you started him out man!!! if he does get hoooked he will eventually just start asking more questions and mimicking what you do more and more. just dont burn the kid out.

Last edited:
I would say put him on more FOOD. Protein shakes are good and all but he should get at least 3/4 of his protein from actual food. Its cheaper and, in my opinion along with that of most people on this board, works better. He doesn't have to suddenly switch from eating crap to a super strict diet, but having him eat 'x#' eggs and oatmeal for meal one, chicken/turkey/fish with rice/sweet potatoes for the next, etc. would be a lot more beneficial in the long run. I got started when I was 15 years old as well and I bought into the idea that you could just get all your protein from supplements and grow like a weed. I still grew, but as soon as I started eating real food, I blew up a good, lean 10-15 lbs in a matter of months.

My biggest suggestion would be to make sure he is eating a surplus of food. At his age if he is hitting it hard while his bones are still growing his body needs a ton of calories. I wish I would have started st that age ugh..

Don't know if anyone said this but if he is into sports, especially football as you said, then get him doing hang cleans and power cleans. Starting now will help a ton for his form and those are the best thing you can do for explosive power. Don't let him go heavy though just start with light weight and get his form right. As far as supplements just what you are doing is fine. Along with hang cleans have him do squats for lower body, then for upper body different pull up variations, dips, pushups and bench press will get him on a good track, and be sure to work his core to prevent back injuries from squats once he gets into heavy weights, plank is definitely good for that.

Like I said that is more geared for football, but if he wants a good physique it will give him that too, it just may not be the huge body builder look. Just my 0.02

Higher rep basic compound movements. No need for a bunch of expense
with anything more than basic multi vites. Now is the time to learn perfect form. Good clean food and should be gtg. Keep it simple but correct. T

It depends on how serious he is with his training, but if he was serious I would be getting him started on the training regime from this link...

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/1158-growth-principles-beginners.html

Of course leave out all the aas protocols etc... but the training regime is great for a beginner.

PS.. I wish I started early like this. :D

This workout is good. I think it might be too geared towards bodybuilding though. Then again I do like the idea of him hitting all body parts like a bodybuilder. If he visually looks good it will motivate him even more.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131