over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Static holds for biceps

johnjuanb1

Featured Member / Sponsor Rep
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors
I came across this video that pondered the question of why gymnasts always seem to have out of proportion biceps that are bigger than the rest of their body. The conclusion was that they do a lot of static holds on the rings where they hang in mid air with their biceps flexed in the front double biceps pose and they hold it for a long time.
I decided to give them a modified try today and incorporate them into my biceps workout. I used the pull down bar that had the perfect grip to simulate a front double biceps pose, and I put 120Lbs in the machine, pulled it down just enough to flex in the front double biceps pose, and hold it as long as I could. At 1 minute I was literally shaking. Mind you, I’m abnormally weak for my size. The pump after each set was way beyond what I get from a regular set of curls. I also ended the workout by doing some on the self spotting pull up bar. My biceps suck so I figure it’s worth trying something new. Give them a try if you feel up for a change in your routine.

I've used this, many years ago, it was very effective, works best with a training partner and a towel.

I came across this video that pondered the question of why gymnasts always seem to have out of proportion biceps that are bigger than the rest of their body. The conclusion was that they do a lot of static holds on the rings where they hang in mid air with their biceps flexed in the front double biceps pose and they hold it for a long time.
I decided to give them a modified try today and incorporate them into my biceps workout. I used the pull down bar that had the perfect grip to simulate a front double biceps pose, and I put 120Lbs in the machine, pulled it down just enough to flex in the front double biceps pose, and hold it as long as I could. At 1 minute I was literally shaking. Mind you, I’m abnormally weak for my size. The pump after each set was way beyond what I get from a regular set of curls. I also ended the workout by doing some on the self spotting pull up bar. My biceps suck so I figure it’s worth trying something new. Give them a try if you feel up for a change in your routine.
Good idea! I could use something to shock my biceps, and I dont think this will be too hard on my heart. I will find out next biceps workout. I am going to add a set or two of these! Ive done it before with a standing barbell curl, hold it at the 90 degree point, but never tried on the pulldown. You could also experiment with holding it at different points of flexion too, see if that makes any difference.

I do statics quite often for multiple exercises. In one of his videos Dusty Hanshaw shows them as well as the extreme stretching and been doing them on and off ( sometimes I forget ) and like them a lot. Really nice with a chest press machine as well, or a hamstring curl.

THis is a highly effective technique for all bodyparts. I have used it with great success for myself and my clients when I was working as a full time trainer many years ago. I also suggest adding a bit of PNF (Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation ) while using this technique. I learned this from a fellow trainer years ago and it helps to increase the elasticity and range of motion by increasing the signal strength and range of the nerves and synapses in the skeltal muscle and connective tissue.

I actually done some static holds on 2 sets tonight for bi-ceps. I really like them for leg curls and extensions but do it for many movements. Different but similar subject but I am a fan of negative pull ups as well and will often do them holding like you stated but will move down very slowly. I mainly started doing those because I have had issues with my distal bi-cep tendons and when pulling up it can cause pain at times so I started focusing solely on the negative just for that one movement.

They absolutely work and work well as an addition to regular training. What static pulls tend to do for armwrestling (the way Im familiar with it) is it gives you more endurance at a faster pace then any other reps x weight exercises that I have done. It also feels like it strengthens not only mu muscle, but also the supportive tendons as well.

After a few weeks of adding in static pulls and other things of that sort in my armwrestling training, I got noticeably bigger and stronger from out of nowhere. After 2 weeks I was able to do my regular biceps exercises longer, so I feel this was part of it, I feel the main part was the movement of "immovable objects" with a towel.

1 of the best is having a friend or 2 pull a towel and you hold them and even try to pull them some having them slowly add more strength and bodyweight to what youre pulling.

It goes against what lots say that you only need the contraction, but gymnasts and armwrestlers both know its a solid way to train. Its not the only way, but it adds a lot at just 1-2 sessions per week.

Yes, all 3 types of contractions build strength. Concentric, eccentric (both isotonic), and isometric.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws