over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stats on the growth of obesity in the US, map

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
It looks like an epidemic breaking out, only its taking years rather than months.

I was going to say the same thing. it looks like a virus that is spreading. Quite alarming really! Good link MAL.

I live in Colorado which is arguably the best state in the nation for health. I do agree that the rest of the country looks like shit. I am originally from Michigan and when I was there in 06 I couldn't believe all of the fat people. It isn't just fat, either, it is fat but a lot of people just don't give a shit about how they look. I would see people at the mall in sweats with holes in them, walking on the sides of their shoes. Even my daughter commented on it.

Skip

This is an interesting link that shows how obesity has grown in the US since 1985, it is incredible. I had no idea it was this bad. Glad I am not part of the statistics.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/fit.nation/obesity.map/

Actually, judging from your avatar, you more than likely ARE considered obese, given that, in these kinds of epidemiological data, obesity is usually based upon body weight (or body mass, as in BMI) and not % body fat...

-R

Actually, judging from your avatar, you more than likely ARE considered obese, given that, in these kinds of epidemiological data, obesity is usually based upon body weight (or body mass, as in BMI) and not % body fat...

-R

Yeah, I was thinking that once I saw how they got their data. Only thing is, we all know that our body type is in the minority and probably wont have that much impact on the study. Such a low percentage of the population. It cannot explain the fast rise in BMI throughout the US, noway that there are so many serious bodybuilders/weightlifters.
But yeah, I think I am considered obese at 235 lb and 6 feet tall according to the BMI chart.

Yeah, I was thinking that once I saw how they got their data. Only thing is, we all know that our body type is in the minority and probably wont have that much impact on the study. Such a low percentage of the population. It cannot explain the fast rise in BMI throughout the US, noway that there are so many serious bodybuilders/weightlifters.
But yeah, I think I am considered obese at 235 lb and 6 feet tall according to the BMI chart.

I dunno, man - what state do you live in?... LOL J / K.

Yep, most of us on here are clinically obese or at least overweight... ;^)

-R

I dunno, man - what state do you live in?... LOL J / K.

Yep, most of us on here are clinically obese or at least overweight... ;^)

-R

I havent ever had a physician tell me I need to lose weight, so at least they are intelligent enough to know better. The whole BMI thing works for the general population though. Glad I am not part of it!

Did anyone see on ABC last night Shaq's Big Challenge? He is working with 6 obese kids in Florida to help them, the school and other obese kids learn how to live healthy.

I didn't realize that P.E. was taken out of schools. That's really sad... the school administration just don't feel like it is as important as other subjects. Amazing that learning how to eat healthy and fitness isn't considered important. No wonder this country has so many obese people.

Shaq's trainer started with 6 kids. One of them asked if he could bring a friend to their training, and before long they had 50 very obese kids wanting to lose weight.

**broken link removed**

Yeah - - chalk that one up to No Child Left Behind. Schools are so obsessed by standardized testing and scores that they've cut almost everything out but reading and math - - little science, history, music, art, and no p.e. I see this at my kid's school - - where half the 12 year-old boys look like enormous blobs with legs and arms. Type 2 diabetes is on a rampage as well - - a side effect of obesity, poor diet, and lack of exercise.

I coach my kid's little league team - - and I can't believe how many obese kids are trying to play baseball. It's a shame because a lot of them actually have decent skills - - but are just too fat or unfit to play well. One kid this past season could really smack the ball - - far, far out into center field. But the joke amongst the kids was: "There's another single for Javier."

I didn't realize that P.E. was taken out of schools. That's really sad... the school administration just don't feel like it is as important as other subjects. Amazing that learning how to eat healthy and fitness isn't considered important. No wonder this country has so many obese people.
**broken link removed**

Don't blame the school administration for P.E. being removed blame the "No child left behind" act. The act emphasizes reading, writing, math and science. The tests set fairly high expectations and If a school's test scores are poor then they will loose funding. Due to this why would a school take time away from classes that their funding is based on to have P.E. which has no consequence to them? If the Federal government wants to install a program that does not value health then how can you expect schools too?

Also the biggest factor in both education and health is this, If the parents don't value it then how do you expect the children too? Teachers each have to deal with over 100 different students. They simply can't dedicate all there time to a value his or her education and/or health. Teachers usually notify the parents but if the parents won't do anything about it then it is a battle the teacher is most likely going to loose.

Now I know their is much more to the No child left behind act then I stated but I am not trying to write a novel here so I kept it simple. So yes I left out a lot and you can come slam me for what I excluded but I guarantee in doing so you will be doing the same thing I did.

I live in Colorado which is arguably the best state in the nation for health. I do agree that the rest of the country looks like shit.

LOL. :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity