over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

steak digestion

reps

Newbies
ok here is the question. titan and i were sitting in restaurant chowin on some beef when i wondered this..

"how long does it take to digest a 20 ounce porterhouse?"

answer 4-8 hours maybe

so how much of the protein in that steak do you get? all of it i assume considering it takes so long to digest. i dont' really know..

some help please

reps

Well heres my theory,

The type of protein is what depends on the rate of digestion, but the type has to do with whats absorbed. In red meat, 4-6 hrs to be digested because of the fat ect... I'd imagine the protein rate being 97% or so absorbed, where as whey may be 70 to 75%.
Egg and Milk are also slower digested so I believe more would be taken in. Whey is quality true, but in 30min digestion the body cant use a 60gm shake that fast so 15gm or more is wasted IMO.

For every 4oz of red meat, depending on its fat, I'd say 1.5-2 hrs.
This is just my thought, so if anyone else can share it would be nice.:)

yeh but who cares what you think....:D
mr pharmacy bar back.............

reps

Not sure what your after with this post bro - and does it matter?!?!

I eat various type of protein about every two hours throughout the day (a lot of it based on convenience, not a rhyme or reason to it). Like whey protein isolate or eggs between real meals/food. Amount is like anywhere from 20g to 60+g of protein.

I also know that it all comes out the back-end approximately the same time ED :D

xcel

not going anywhere just a curious question..

i was off in a daze and thought it up.. that is all. but yeh it really don't make a shit anyway..

reps

don't think i am bashing titan either.. we are best friends and training partners. and we have been on the boards for a decently long time now. ask anyone from bolex.. they will know who we are.

reps

Well, look at it like this. If it takes 4-6 hours to fully digest, you should be getting a steady release of protein over that time period, right?

that is what i thought.. just wanted some other opinions on the matter. this would also explain the fact why i am not hungry for about 8 hours after i eat a steak. oh well i eat anyway just to make sure i get enough calories. thanks guys..

reps

its nice to see you again wolverine.

wolverine said:
Well, look at it like this. If it takes 4-6 hours to fully digest, you should be getting a steady release of protein over that time period, right?

See everyone now knows your a dumbass.:p

Well heres my theory,

The type of protein is what depends on the rate of digestion, but the type has to do with whats absorbed. In red meat, 4-6 hrs to be digested because of the fat ect... I'd imagine the protein rate being 97% or so absorbed, where as whey may be 70 to 75%.
Egg and Milk are also slower digested so I believe more would be taken in. Whey is quality true, but in 30min digestion the body cant use a 60gm shake that fast so 15gm or more is wasted IMO.

)

Red meat is neither quicker absorbed or has higher percentage of absorbtion that milk or eggs , eggs in fact are about the fastest to digest and absorb. Alot of the rate of digestion with red meat has to to with how lean it it , a fatty steak like a ribeye will take longer to digest than a top sirloin as the fat slows the rate of digestion , also look at the amount of protein in a 12oz ribeye compaired to a 12 sirloin , the ribeye is less due to alot more of the weight being made up of fat.
Also alot has to do with how well the leat is cooked , differat levels of "doneness" will vary the rate at which the body can break it down and what your eating it with and on and on , their are alot of variables that go into digestion

Wouldn't fat content on meat effect digestion time? It takes longer to digest fat, so fatty cut like a porter house should take longer then a lean sirloin.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131