over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

STEROID USE 80'S VS 90'S

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
over the years i have tried to always find out as much as i could about roid use then and now. most of what i have heard is always hearsay but, there always seemed to be one common thread. the bodybuilders of the early 80's always seemed to prefer high anabolics to androgens. completely opposite of the mentality today. talking to writers and others who were "there" that seems to be true. in an interview with mike christian years ago he stated that he prefered milder anabolics to test and other androgens. he stated that they "scared him". tom platz had stated that he was in his best condition by just using 2-3 cc's of deca and 30-50mgs of winny a day. but, tom was one of the first to give gh a serious try. lee haney, who my friend knows very well and trained with at his peak, prefered eq and winny over the tests. my friend stated that haney was very leery about going over 600 mgs of test cyp and in the off season just took eq and another anabolic. sergio stated in a interview in musclemag that dbol made him feel like crap and he loved the effects of combining winny and deca. boyer coe, my favorite, liked to use deca as his base and usually combined it with dbol in very low amounts..usually 30 mgs. my buddy also, to this day, will not mess with the tests. he was a very accomplished bodybuilder on the national level back in the late 80's. he still looks awesome and prefers eq and deca ...usually combined with winny. he tried cyp once at 500 mgs and said he felt" not himself" so he stopped .lol just thought it was interesting the differences.

All I can say is, there must have been alot of limp dicks back then without test in those deca winny cycles.

Well - the mid-80's is when I got into tha 'roid scene. My friend and trainer was a former overall Mr "State" winner. He had worked with not only national but world class bb'ers, like Denny Tenerino and Bill Pearl.

He drove into me that you "always" want to take an androgen "and" an anabolic. He really liked test-based cycles. The amounts aren't anywhere near what we're taking today. He also promoted longer, diamond-cycles. My first cycle was Var and Cyp, cyp up to 400mg/wk and Var up to 6 tabs/day, that's it. And, I kept most of the gains I made from that cycle. Believe it or not, I had a close brush with gyno - even at those doses!

xcelbeyond

Platz did do small doses, Dan Duchine told me this in the mid 80s when I used to speak with and write to him. He did winnt/maxibolin stacks. Everyone accused him of doing that 'horrible' gh because of his big jaw-actually if you see old pics of him as a kid he still had that feature. I juiced in the mid 80s, and folks were afraid of side effects and big doses. But test was done in cycles, at least the guys I know. People were more cautious. If youd have said back then, you were doing 3g test wk-theyd think you were joking or totally insane.

nobody knows what somebody else is using unless they are there all the time with the man. but this thread does seem odd bc all the writers claim that the only thing that changed since the 80 vs today is gh and slin. who the hell knows. my opinion all the old timers of the 70's definately used a lot, look at their training routines, no way u could do that on a low dose. also in the eighties greed and the more is better philosophy was rampant, so i tend to believe we dont know the whole truth.

I think I agree...

with Magoo, at least in part. Then and now, those bb's that will discuss their supplement use always seem to emphasize how little gear they have used to get into shape. It's the "I have great genetics" argument, and sure a few do, but by and large I suspect that many are too embarrassed to admit that they had to juice to the gills to look like they do. "Yeah, I've always had 22" guns and a 28" waist and a 60" chest - just good genetics I guess" - sure and 3g of Test/wk, and 50mg D-bol Ed, and 150mg of TA ED, and 100mg of Winny ED, and 5IU's of GH, and 20IU's insulin, and some T3, Clen, DNP, Usnic acid, some diuretics, and some vasodialators, etc.... oh yeah, and I never come off cycle.

Remember, above all else, be true to theyself.

Just my opinion,

DrG

one thing i woulfd like to emphasize is when i started this thread was that it was hearsay. but, i know many guys who were around back then and did know these guys on a personal level. the common thread was that they were very worried as to what the gears long term effects would be. there was not alot of places like these to share knowledge and experiences in regards to gear. the effects were basically unknown. we know so much more then they did back then. also remember that when we doubt their low dose routines that haney won the mr o at 235 pounds. nothing compared to the guys today. gaspari was 215. samir won at under 200 at one point. so i doubt very much that any where using 2 grams of test. i will say that had they had insulin (or atleast if it were more prominant) and used the amount of gh we are acustom to we may have seen more dramatic effects. i do want emphasize what mikes said...TOM PLATZ'S JAW WAS NOT FROM GH USE!!!!! i see this on many other boards.. he had that jaw as a kid. but, like mikes hass said, platz was considered a freak in his day using extremely low dose cycles. but, compared to todays champs he would not fair well.

my post...

was in regard to the crap I hear spewed nowadays.

DrG

hey drgoodbody ,
my post was not in regards to your comment. i do agree with you in regards to todays pros. most do not tell how much they take and when they do... it is usually full of half truths.

yeah,I have a seminar tape by Tom Platz from '91 and
in it he says that he never tried GH.

How about this rumour I found on another site:

....I talked to Don Ross before he died along with another guy who worked at Ironman and trained with the Mentzers and the crew. Don told me he would sue me if I let it out while he was alive but he swore on his life, Arnold, Franco and their training partner Ric Drasin were doing 100-150 tabs of dball a day. The bottle cost 3 dollars per 100 and they didnt know any better. Drasin developed a shortlived health problem on the orals and (i think circa late 74)they all cut back. The Mentzers according to a highup at Ironman mag who trained with them extensively were boatloading bottles (i believe he said anavar) and other things.

i agree they used much less back in the 80s there were alot of under 200 pound wining pros then and off the pro sceen the up and comers there were alot around 170-190 its almost to bad things went the way they did it leaves most of us out even with my use wich is probley twice what 80s use was i know ill never step on a pro stage no chance in hell

I think that it has gotten out of control. It is like big at any cost. I think alot of people have forgotten about training and diet, they focus too much on AS.

hyper said:
I think that it has gotten out of control. It is like big at any cost. I think alot of people have forgotten about training and diet, they focus too much on AS.
AGREED - Have y'all read my signature. I've been off gear now, going on six weeks and doing a pre-contest diet. EVERYONE says I'm getting huge and I've lost over 15 lbs!!! Cut makes you look BIG. And you get cut by "Nutrition," not gear.

The reason I got into bodybuilding was I attended a seminar put on by a former Mr (state). He started his talk by saying the most profound thing that sticks in my mind today - If a bodybuilder were you tell you his secrets, it would be how he "eats," not how he workouts! This bro ended up being a good friend, mentor and trainer. He liked working with me because I did everything he said. And it all worked!!

xcelbeyond

a few years back i got to talk to platz outside of golds. he just finished up a back workout. the subject got on gear (what were the odds lol) and he stated "youd be surprised how little gear you can get by on if you have a ton of protein in your system at all times" it is very true, we have lost sight of the eating aspect of our lifestyle. old mr. herndon, i believe, said it it won by the knife and fork. if it wasnt him, ill still let him have this one. lol :D

xcelbeyond said:

AGREED - Have y'all read my signature. I've been off gear now, going on six weeks and doing a pre-contest diet. EVERYONE says I'm getting huge and I've lost over 15 lbs!!! Cut makes you look BIG. And you get cut by "Nutrition," not gear.

The reason I got into bodybuilding was I attended a seminar put on by a former Mr (state). He started his talk by saying the most profound thing that sticks in my mind today - If a bodybuilder were you tell you his secrets, it would be how he "eats," not how he workouts! This bro ended up being a good friend, mentor and trainer. He liked working with me because I did everything he said. And it all worked!!

xcelbeyond

Yea, I like your signature!
Soooo true!!

in response to what platz said about how u can ge tby on little gear with lots of protein in ur system, the thing is he didnt eat huge protein diets form everyhting i read. before bed it was pasta and b4 workouts it was pop tarts

TRUE. platz will be the first to tell ya that in the off season he ate what the hell he wanted. he did buckle down before a show though. if you remember nasser one time said in the off season he survived on cereal and cheeseburgers and he dubted that he got even 100 grams of protein. but, pre contest he would up it onsiderably. the funny thing is my buddy in california is still in awesome shape and takes in very little protein. i spent 9 days with him a few years back and he ate a shit load of pasta and salads plus breads but, i only saw him take in meat of any sort once a day. i sure would love to know what makes him tick. lol

Dosages

Ther is a very good interview with Mike Quinn in this months Muscle Mag. He has always been very upfront about his use and dosages. Sorry I have disguarded my copy, so I cant post, but it was very low compared to todays standards. Also a good artical about T3 in there

one more thing

And this might also help explain Xcels' brush with Gyno....

I swear that some gear (specially Mex) no matter what it says, just does not work as good.....here is an example: I took 400mgs of American depo-test cypionate a week and EXPLODED. I could FEEL the shit swelling me up ( a lot of water no doubt) but when I take almost any other test, I have to take up to a gram to get the same effects....so go figure....

Perhaps back in the 80's companies like Steris and Schein were making overdosed stuff???

yes agreed from what I heard

I have a personal friend that won the america back in the early 80's & he will talk shop to his close friends......he told Me that back when he won the AMERICA he only took 2-3cc's Deca a week & 5 blue Ciba I believe d-bol....& I believe him b/c he also said that years later after his competing days he needed to take 10 tais to get he same effect as his 5 blue D-bol back then he also never ventured to higher dosages until years after he was done competing

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131