over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Steroid use after DVT

puritan

Registered
Hi all, i was national level competitor and I was diagnosed with DVT.
After almost one year of treatment and exams im still waiting for final blood test results.

I was on warfarin for 6 months and im without it in the last 3 months.

Well, my question is if someone gone through this and come back to normal life using steroids and training... bodybuilding life...

Thank you all

Hey brother

I suffered a DVT in my left leg in the summer 2010 while a on full cycle.

The clot broke and logged in the main vein in my hip (Next stop the lung).

A lot depends on the damage (if any caused) by the clot and your healing afterwards..

My clot was quick and huge and I still suffer from occasional swelling of that legs ankle due to Post-thrombotic syndrome or PTS. Basically the the swelling was sooo bad, it caused vein issues and also a valve shape change...
Now I am told I am in the minority with this...

Yes and back to full training....

My "personal" advice,

First:
Wear the compression stocking as soon as ur allowed..
They will force proper circulation, which will in-turn feed and strengthen veins.

Once you post DVT a year or soo they may not be needed any longer..
But to not use them just may create a condition that lasts a lifetime.

Diet is second..(High K foods).
Even though u may not be a "clotter" or a person with X factor issues the environment in ur leg is prime for a repeat performance.

Lastly activity cannot be understated....

Although my clot is gone I still watch myself with all the High vit K foods and when on road trips or plane rides I use the compression socks..

None of my lifts have suffered nor has the quality of my life...

Hope that helps....

Hi all, i was national level competitor and I was diagnosed with DVT.
After almost one year of treatment and exams im still waiting for final blood test results.

I was on warfarin for 6 months and im without it in the last 3 months.

Well, my question is if someone gone through this and come back to normal life using steroids and training... bodybuilding life...

Thank you all

DVTs are no joke! I would ask your MD when you could resume training. As far as steroids i would avoid...better safe than sorry...just my opinion. Good luck with your recovery

Si steroids increase the chances of getting DVT?

A blood clot just about killed me, no more steroids for me. Ask Emeric on here, he had a DVT once and could give you some excellent advice. My advice is dont ever use it again except HRT level. Im on coumadin now for LIFE, which may not be that much longer for me. You dodged a bullet this last time, next time you may not be so lucky. Big Bapper on here died from a DVT in his leg which went to his lungs, if im not mistaken. Some people like us cant safely use steroids. You should have had a DNA test run like I did to see if you have any clotting disorders. I have prothrombin disorder and Emeric has Factor 5. I hope you get one done if you havent, have a clotting test done on the cascade and a DNA test if its called for based on those results.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/37736-just-survived-heart-attack-age-38-follow-up-phils-post.html

Thank you all my friends.

I've made blood test and some values are slightly changed but the mainones are inside the range. The doctor said it may happen because of 6 months on warfarin. I will repeat the blood test in next month.

It happens to me because I have colitis. had one big episode and i've been in hospital for 4 straight days. When I came out the clot thing happen to me.

If all the blood test is ok, maybe it was an direct issue with the time i've been lying down in the hospital.

Thank you all again :love:

A blood clot just about killed me, no more steroids for me. Ask Emeric on here, he had a DVT once and could give you some excellent advice. My advice is dont ever use it again except HRT level. Im on coumadin now for LIFE, which may not be that much longer for me. You dodged a bullet this last time, next time you may not be so lucky. Big Bapper on here died from a DVT in his leg which went to his lungs, if im not mistaken. Some people like us cant safely use steroids. You should have had a DNA test run like I did to see if you have any clotting disorders. I have prothrombin disorder and Emeric has Factor 5. I hope you get one done if you havent, have a clotting test done on the cascade and a DNA test if its called for based on those results.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...heart-attack-age-38-follow-up-phils-post.html

This what i was saying.
A lot of factor exist.
The main being if u test for the Xfactor then u are prone to clot in any enviorment.
I did not and although my cadriologist was not for me returning to cycle he plaining said it i was not at risk for including them.

Sent from my Galaxy Siii Taptalk2

A guy at my gym has a genetic clotting disorder. Had a DVT last year while on gear. Been on Coumadin for a long time. He recently started taking low dose test against my advice. He's doing fine so far. He's been back on a couple months. Hope he remains healthy. He knows the risks and I've told him even I would quit if I were in his shoes. He's adamant about continuing. Nothing good can come from in IMO.

My main concern about my health is.. if the blood results are ok, and all blood proteins and coagulations factors are inside the range...Will i have predisposition to have another DVT even with all blood test results ok?

Imagine it happened just because I've been laying down a lot of time and all my blood constitution is ok... what do you have to say about this?

Thank you all

My main concern about my health is.. if the blood results are ok, and all blood proteins and coagulations factors are inside the range...Will i have predisposition to have another DVT even with all blood test results ok?

Imagine it happened just because I've been laying down a lot of time and all my blood constitution is ok... what do you have to say about this?

Thank you all

I think if all of those tests are ok and you dont have a genetic condition then you are probably at no more risk than the average person taking steroids, but even then there are clotting risks for people that dont have a condition. Watch your hematocrit etc. One thing I would ask is were you under the influence of steroids in any way when you had your clot? I know you were in the hospital, but had you recently taken any steroids and what did your blood work look like when you had the clot? HCT,. HGB?

I think if all of those tests are ok and you dont have a genetic condition then you are probably at no more risk than the average person taking steroids, but even then there are clotting risks for people that dont have a condition. Watch your hematocrit etc. One thing I would ask is were you under the influence of steroids in any way when you had your clot? I know you were in the hospital, but had you recently taken any steroids and what did your blood work look like when you had the clot? HCT,. HGB?

My last bloodwork on steroids was one year ago and all hematocrit and hemoglobin was allways inside the recommend range, even on steroids. I never did high dosages.

My hope is the new bloodwork come ok and it was just an isolated episode.

Thanks you all

My last bloodwork on steroids was one year ago and all hematocrit and hemoglobin was allways inside the recommend range, even on steroids. I never did high dosages.

My hope is the new bloodwork come ok and it was just an isolated episode.

Thanks you all

Well, certainly being in a hospital bed and not moving much at all for long periods of time is a big risk factor for clots and it can even happen on long plane trips. Most doctors though will tell you that if you have had one clot that your chances of having another later on are higher than the general population. Proceed with caution is all I can say, and continue to be very moderate in your doses and approach. Hopefully it was mostly due to being in that bed for so long.

Well almost 4 days at the bed plus the dehydratation caused by the colitis.
My doc told me dehydratation help on clot formation too.

My idea if the bloodwork come ok is to use baby aspirin along the aa.

Thanks

Thanks

Yeah, dehydration will raise your hematocrit/hemoglobin because the amount of your plasma goes down but the red blood cells stay the same.

Take a baby aspirin a day, keep the levels sane, and monitor your blood with a CBC about 4x per year.

Thanks

You have ulcerative colitis? I got diagnosed with it last year, meds have kept it under pretty good control though

Yeah, dehydration will raise your hematocrit/hemoglobin because the amount of your plasma goes down but the red blood cells stay the same.

Take a baby aspirin a day, keep the levels sane, and monitor your blood with a CBC about 4x per year.

Thanks maldorf for all your recommendations. Lets wait for what doc says when I get the bloodtest. If all is ok, and I take steroids again, I will take all concers....

You have ulcerative colitis? I got diagnosed with it last year, meds have kept it under pretty good control though

Yes man, last crisis was when i developed the DVT. Until now, with mesalazine medication never went through another situation.

I think when i was under steroids I lost blood more easily.

thank you all

So they are running a coagulation panel on you, right? I don't know exactly how it works but I think if some flags come up on that then they test your DNA. Do you know if they are going to do DNA tests no matter what? I only know of two genetic disorders and thats Factor 5 and then prothrombin disorder but im betting there are others. Im not sure how they go about testing for the DNA traits.

I just got back from the Hematologists office today because I have to go there once a month to have a phlebotomy if needed and I was thinking about your situation. I must say if I were you knowing what I do now I wouldnt even consider using steroids anymore unless its low dose test only, but thats me after going through what I have. Since you have already once had a clot your chances of having more are much much higher than normal, and to me anything that is going to increase that risk just isnt worth risking your life over. How important is it to you to grow more muscular?

Please send Emeric a PM, he might have some ideas as he too went through what you have.

Hey man, is not the most important at all.
I have my wife and son and that's all matters to me.

Besided that, yes... its important... i did some important things in my bodybuilding like like national champion and 2nd in europe but my life is in first place for sure!!!

All the values are inside the range but some proteins are low (even inside the acceptable range). I will not take any steroids until i'm 100% sure I dont have any blood disorder.

I dont know what to ask emeric :) I will tell him to check the post and maybe he can help us all.

Thanks man you are a great buddy

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear