YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Steroids affecting life insurance payout?

PYGMY

Registered
If I suddenly died from a stroke or heart attack or anything for that matter that wasn’t an outright accident could my life insurance payout be denied because steroids were found in my system?

:(
oh shit never thought about it, good question, looking forward for a concrete answer.

gotgame posted a lot of good info on this in the Big A tren thread; worth checking it out

Sorry, totally dumb question, but would toxicology test for anything of that nature?

Besides that, also think of them finding your stash when you died :( Because when you die, every little secret you thought you had, your whole family is gonna end up knowing lol

for most guys its fine. Even if it were rec drugs. If after the look back period is over, usually 3 years, things are locked in. For many policies even if you lied in some areas of the policy application for many policies its still locked in. However it can get tricky for some policies where the wording is such that if you lied on your application and they can prove it then they may not have to pay out if the falsification may have played a role in your death etc. You need to know your specific policy

Im loosely paraphrasing things but the answer is for most smaller policies after the lookback they are just gonna pay out. For larger policies i know physicians who have been contacted by lawyers representing the insurance company to provide clarification of records/reports. I do have a colleague who was contacted regarding a patient ( colleage said guy was huge and probably on AAS) who had died and he was asked to provided a deposition regarding the presence of injection granulomas noted on a ct ab pel which was obtained prior to the guys policy.

I also know of another "bodybuilder" case who my buddy who is a primary care dr and was contacted to clarify patients medical records in which he had stated something along the lines as "patients reports prior steroid use". I dont know if this was during a look back period or not...it had come up at a dinner discussion.

Certain states add additional protections with respect to the lookback period as in time frame and other things so know your states laws if applicable

Id say in general though if the lookback period has expired and the policy is under 1 mil or so your are probably safe. If the lookback period has not expired then you can expect they will fully review your application, moreso for larger policies. Also why its important not to post personal info that can easily by linked back to yourself on a website like this. Also not to just be casually telling your PMD like heeey i take steroids.... can you maybe prescribe me an AI....because now thats in your medical record. Be smart. My view are skewed because i know of the times where people got screwed over by talking too much...most of the time its not an issue and policies pay out.

Make sure you get a good policy from a larger company. The policy is only as good as the company backing it.

Unrelated but in response to a post above: If you die you certainly can expect family/friends to go through all of your belongings. If you 100% trust your wife then ofcourse she should know... if you only 90% trust her then you have to consider what could happen if she knows you take steroids and your marriage goes bad ( using illegal drug use against you in court etc). I had friends who used a "buddy system" for AAS lol. Basically they had a really awesome hiding place in there house and if they died there friends who know where their stash was and take it...and clear there computers/cell phone data and photos lol ( less important now with encryption and biometric login etc)

Wondering if the coroner would check for steroids if the guy was an obvious user. Example, like a Dallas McCarver. In cases like that id bet they would test for steroids. They tested Dallas.

Wondering if the coroner would check for steroids if the guy was an obvious user. Example, like a Dallas McCarver. In cases like that id bet they would test for steroids. They tested Dallas.

Ive known quite a few guys who have died who were on gear as ive dealt with a lot of users in nyc, sf and socal in addition to guys ive known only online. The guys who died were older then age 40 and id do not know of any autopsy results which stated blood tests for AAS. They stated things like MI, acute arrhythmia, stroke, ruptured hepatic adenoma, hepatorenal syndrome leading to etc. There may be a few outliers where tests were done on older guys but my best guess is dallas was tested probably because he was in his 20s with all those issues.

Ive known quite a few guys who have died who were on gear as ive dealt with a lot of users in nyc, sf and socal in addition to guys ive known only online. The guys who died were older then age 40 and id do not know of any autopsy results which stated blood tests for AAS. They stated things like MI, acute arrhythmia, stroke, ruptured hepatic adenoma, hepatorenal syndrome leading to etc. There may be a few outliers where tests were done on older guys but my best guess is dallas was tested probably because he was in his 20s with all those issues.
Yes, I think with him being so young it was abnormal to have all of those issues. Makes sense. I think if a guy is young and looks like a bodybuilding God like Dallas that they are going to test for steroids. The average lifter that is over 40 and juicing probably wont get that kind of attention.

I was asking myself alot of these questions with no answers , glad some of my concerns were answered here. I have a small policy through work and I'm looking into another now since I had a close call at work the other day. Since moving I have to find another primary care doctor who I actually like and is not bias towards bigger guys. I never said anything about my AAS usage before but all my doctor's always just assumed just by looking at me. Hopefully I can find a good policy without disclosing to much. I need to decide how in-depth and truthful I should be ...
Thanks for all the great info gotgame

I would assume yes, not sure however. Unless you told them you take AAS

I dont think life insurance policies routinely test for AAS as a likely cause of death unless you give them reason to think otherwise.

for most guys its fine. Even if it were rec drugs. If after the look back period is over, usually 3 years, things are locked in. For many policies even if you lied in some areas of the policy application for many policies its still locked in. However it can get tricky for some policies where the wording is such that if you lied on your application and they can prove it then they may not have to pay out if the falsification may have played a role in your death etc. You need to know your specific policy

Im loosely paraphrasing things but the answer is for most smaller policies after the lookback they are just gonna pay out. For larger policies i know physicians who have been contacted by lawyers representing the insurance company to provide clarification of records/reports. I do have a colleague who was contacted regarding a patient ( colleage said guy was huge and probably on AAS) who had died and he was asked to provided a deposition regarding the presence of injection granulomas noted on a ct ab pel which was obtained prior to the guys policy.

I also know of another "bodybuilder" case who my buddy who is a primary care dr and was contacted to clarify patients medical records in which he had stated something along the lines as "patients reports prior steroid use". I dont know if this was during a look back period or not...it had come up at a dinner discussion.

Certain states add additional protections with respect to the lookback period as in time frame and other things so know your states laws if applicable

Id say in general though if the lookback period has expired and the policy is under 1 mil or so your are probably safe. If the lookback period has not expired then you can expect they will fully review your application, moreso for larger policies. Also why its important not to post personal info that can easily by linked back to yourself on a website like this. Also not to just be casually telling your PMD like heeey i take steroids.... can you maybe prescribe me an AI....because now thats in your medical record. Be smart. My view are skewed because i know of the times where people got screwed over by talking too much...most of the time its not an issue and policies pay out.

Make sure you get a good policy from a larger company. The policy is only as good as the company backing it.

Unrelated but in response to a post above: If you die you certainly can expect family/friends to go through all of your belongings. If you 100% trust your wife then ofcourse she should know... if you only 90% trust her then you have to consider what could happen if she knows you take steroids and your marriage goes bad ( using illegal drug use against you in court etc). I had friends who used a "buddy system" for AAS lol. Basically they had a really awesome hiding place in there house and if they died there friends who know where their stash was and take it...and clear there computers/cell phone data and photos lol ( less important now with encryption and biometric login etc)

Damn good post. Thanks man!

Yes, I think with him being so young it was abnormal to have all of those issues. Makes sense. I think if a guy is young and looks like a bodybuilding God like Dallas that they are going to test for steroids. The average lifter that is over 40 and juicing probably wont get that kind of attention.

I think Josh Lenartowicz told the paramedics and authorities everything. He mentioned insulin in the 911 call. Which is understandable under the circumstances, anything to possibly save his friends life

I was in a situation in the ICU where docs asked my GF if I was on steroids or any other drugs. My best friend and mother were also asked. My mother said yes, he's on steroids but didn't know specifics, my friend wrote on a piece of paper what he thought I was probably on but gave the paper to my GF to make the call, who then decided not to turn it in to the docs. Wouldn't have mattered either way but it was interesting what kind of judgement calls people make in certain situations.

I think Josh Lenartowicz told the paramedics and authorities everything. He mentioned insulin in the 911 call. Which is understandable under the circumstances, anything to possibly save his friends life

I was in a situation in the ICU where docs asked my GF if I was on steroids or any other drugs. My best friend and mother were also asked. My mother said yes, he's on steroids but didn't know specifics, my friend wrote on a piece of paper what he thought I was probably on but gave the paper to my GF to make the call, who then decided not to turn it in to the docs. Wouldn't have mattered either way but it was interesting what kind of judgement calls people make in certain situations.
Well, that helps explain why they tested him. I have a feeling though that if a young guy had $1 million plus policy that there would be some scrutiny over him if he was 5 foot 10, 300 lbs, and 10% bodyfat with 22 inch arms and a 33 inch waist etc. I would think the truth would come out that the insured lied on the application. Dont you consent to any tests the insurance company needs to run after death at the autopsy? I'd think if you say no to anything then the policy is void?

I don't know about it because nobody will insure me, and we don't need it anyhow. My wife has a good policy.

I would assume yes, not sure however. Unless you told them you take AAS

That's why I always tell people to keep this info private. You just never know. Some people feel like they can share this info with doctors and such and I'm not sure that's the best policy in this situation.

It was a good call on her part but its tough for someone to know what is relevant if they arent in the medical field. I cannot think of any reason in the emergency setting that someones steroid use might be clinically significant. By clinically significant i mean change the management of the patient at that present time. OK..maybe they might get a few extra labs when liver enzymes are high...but thats not really changing ones care.

I mean steroids can predispose to heart attack, renal failure, blood clots/PE, stroke, liver issues, cardiomegaly, some funky lab work....umm... yea that about covers the immediate stuff i can think of....but if someone is admitted to the hospital with those issues they are gonna treat the pathology at that time and steroids taken before that isnt gonna change that acute management. It may help them later decide WHY something happened...but thats not gonna be important at that time.

The few time ive responded to PMs with guys asking about "should they tell there drs" was when patients were getting costly and invasive workups for renal, cardiac and liver issues. I suggested they tell there drs they took bodybuilding supplements that were OTC prohormones and not specifically say " anabolic steroids". That would help guide the doctors without some huge red flag on there medical record as a drug abuser.

Kinda related. I had a patient last month tell me he had a ton of scar tissue in his shoulder from injection steroids. Itold him that ok im going anterior for the arthrogram. I later looked at his medical record and it was all over his record...steroid abuse... He came in with a shoulder injury and was too honest with his surgeon and now its all over his record.

It was a good call on her part but its tough for someone to know what is relevant if they arent in the medical field. I cannot think of any reason in the emergency setting that someones steroid use might be clinically significant. By clinically significant i mean change the management of the patient at that present time. OK..maybe they might get a few extra labs when liver enzymes are high...but thats not really changing ones care.

I mean steroids can predispose to heart attack, renal failure, blood clots/PE, stroke, liver issues, cardiomegaly, some funky lab work....umm... yea that about covers the immediate stuff i can think of....but if someone is admitted to the hospital with those issues they are gonna treat the pathology at that time and steroids taken before that isnt gonna change that acute management. It may help them later decide WHY something happened...but thats not gonna be important at that time.

The few time ive responded to PMs with guys asking about "should they tell there drs" was when patients were getting costly and invasive workups for renal, cardiac and liver issues. I suggested they tell there drs they took bodybuilding supplements that were OTC prohormones and not specifically say " anabolic steroids". That would help guide the doctors without some huge red flag on there medical record as a drug abuser.

Kinda related. I had a patient last month tell me he had a ton of scar tissue in his shoulder from injection steroids. Itold him that ok im going anterior for the arthrogram. I later looked at his medical record and it was all over his record...steroid abuse... He came in with a shoulder injury and was too honest with his surgeon and now its all over his record.
Reporting steroid use will not allow health insurance to deny you coverage. Points being made here about life insurance though are well made. If you plan on getting life insurance I would not tell anyone if I could help it. I suppose there really is not a big reason to tell your doctor about usage unless you want to get a lot of blood tests done that they would otherwise not do. Many on here seem to test on their own.

Reporting steroid use will not allow health insurance to deny you coverage. Points being made here about life insurance though are well made. If you plan on getting life insurance I would not tell anyone if I could help it. I suppose there really is not a big reason to tell your doctor about usage unless you want to get a lot of blood tests done that they would otherwise not do. Many on here seem to test on their own.

Never said it did ( although i am not aware of the effect on premiums). This thread is about life insurance and ultimately ones medical record which you have to give access to during the underwriting process. This also affects disability insurance.

Never said it did ( although i am not aware of the effect on premiums). This thread is about life insurance and ultimately ones medical record which you have to give access to during the underwriting process. This also affects disability insurance.
Yes, I didnt think you did. I felt like it was important to say because there have been numerous threads on the board in the past with members expressing their fears of troubles with health insurance from this.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws