over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stewie please...

Thor

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
I was just wondering if you could help me understand the difference between serotonin and dopamine, and also answer this ?
I am on 50mgs daily of zoloft for S.A.D. and it really does help a lot,but i was wondering if i could use Deprenyl or is that a bad idea while being on an ssri?
I dont need a thourough explanation of The first part, just simple laymans terms about their roles in brain chemistry, hope that makes sense.

I was just wondering if you could help me understand the difference between serotonin and dopamine, and also answer this ?
I am on 50mgs daily of zoloft for S.A.D. and it really does help a lot,but i was wondering if i could use Deprenyl or is that a bad idea while being on an ssri?
I dont need a thourough explanation of The first part, just simple laymans terms about their roles in brain chemistry, hope that makes sense.

not stewie, but...

two different neurotransmitters, both are important.

I fuck with both pretty regularly but do not like phar chems!!!!

very bad news in general.

vit d often helps with sad...

ssri in general bad news, sure they have there place but I do not think for ppl serious about diet n all as serotonin is involved in far more thenbrain shit.

80% of serotonin activity is in the gut...

also addressing neuro chems I have been able to impact systemic autoimmune/ inflammatory conditions....

way more going on the what dr's are TREATING.

Not stewie either, but these are generally pathways to avoid manipulating wth pharm drugs. Long term often cause more harm than good.

UMMM another ...not stewie

however I battled depression for the better part of 25 years , you can find my thread in the stickies at datbtru in the general health section. An SSRI is useless for SAD. If that is your primary depression issue getting your D3 level at peak as in top of optimal will alleviate it better than any pharmaceutical. However to your other point I have found Deprenyl to be a key to treatment resistant depression many times. Often just 2-3 mg daily in a solution is enough. Also quite a wonderful adjunct to any longevity / quality of life plan. One of my favorite drugs honestly. You don't notice you are on it...things just somehow seem better all around especially if you are having issues with finding reward/joy in anything. Getting off track slightly but I also think it can be VERY useful in those of us that finally decide to go off steroids (after 35 years in my case). The adjustment for me was made MUCH easier by keeping my dopamine levels up via Deprenyl. I think this would go for any substance addiction issue. (personal opinion based on my own experience)

not stewie, but...

two different neurotransmitters, both are important.

I fuck with both pretty regularly but do not like phar chems!!!!

very bad news in general.

vit d often helps with sad...

ssri in general bad news, sure they have there place but I do not think for ppl serious about diet n all as serotonin is involved in far more thenbrain shit.

80% of serotonin activity is in the gut...

also addressing neuro chems I have been able to impact systemic autoimmune/ inflammatory conditions....

way more going on the what dr's are TREATING.

this is rock solid truth right here , LK3 you should read my thread at Dat's site if you have not , it chronicles a journey through exactly what you have touched on here. I think you would enjoy it.

Thanks guys..

I guess i was just thinking about using deprenyl and wanted to know if it was ok being on Zoloft at the same time, I have only been on it for a few years but i used to get really depressed in the winter and have been too damn close to suicide to ignore it, honestly dont know how i made it thru but i credit my daughter and my mother mostly.
......"things just somehow seem better all around especially if you are having issues with finding reward/joy in anything."..... this is what i noticed after taking zoloft, i can remember the first winter when i told my GF " So this is how normal people feel in the winter ?, wow no wonder people thought i was nuts"

I'm not stewie either:D

had to do it:headbang:

Not trying to be a cock, but if you wanna ask Stewie you can just PM him lol

btw, your avatar makes my body release serotonin and dopamine, hope that helps

oh jeez

sorry raw man, it was you, now i feel stupid:eek:
you guys are both pretty funny so i guess i mixed you up.:eek:

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party... Busy day. I'm still behind the eight ball and trying to catch up on a few paper's I have to type.

Nevertheless, I'll toss a few things out here to ponder on.

First off. Do not mix the two drugs together. And I'd try to in the near future to wean yourself off of the Zoloft, with the guidance of your prescribing practitioner.

So, in a nutshell:

Dopamine is a dual action neurotransmitter (short acting signalling). It also possesses neuromodulating effects (long acting signalling). Meaning it acts as both-- excitatory and inhibitory. Reward signalling would be excitatory; such as presexual thoughts before initial intercourse. Or say the excitement of gambling or psyching yourself up to bench a new P.R. Norepinephrine and oxytocin would come into play with two aforementioned. There doesn't have to be an excitatory state for dopamine to exert It's actions. To coincide with that, dopamine is one of the primary neurotransmitters involved with learning and retentive comprehension as well as a few other actions.

The inhibitory actions of dopamine are exerted mainly by excessive prolactin pulsatile secretory pattern. Basically, dopamine keeps prolactin in check.

Those are just a few simple examples on dopamines action.

Serotonin on the other hand is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and neuromodulator. Simply, it tames the actions of other excitatory neurotransmitters. In other words, serotonin helps maintain a delicate balance of other neurotransmitters. Serotonin is involved with mood, appetite and sensory perception. Several things can disrupt serotonin levels. Such as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
or inadequate required nutrients involved with the biosynthesis of serotonin. I don't believe that it's been established, tho some proclaim that stimulants lower plasma serotonin levels.... That I'm not for sure of?

Nevertheless, I'd try to assess all of your symptoms together. This should help narrow it down if it's seasonal depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which is related to low serotonin levels or potentially something else?

How's your sleep patterns? Any possibility of sleep apnea?

Insomnia?

Do you wake up to pee at night? If so, how many times through the night?

How's your bowel movements? Any IBS---excessive gas, diarrhea or constipation.

Food intolerance----allergies?

Any particular food cravings?

Any headaches? If so how many times per week? If upon waking and more than 5 times per week go back to number one and look into a sleep study. If later in the day, could be related to insufficient serotonin?

Any respiratory problems such as asthma? Shortness of breath, fatigue easily durning workouts or cardio?

Any phlebotomies within the last few months? If so how many over the last year?

Any other Rx meds you may have taking? Metformin, antihypertension drugs, Thyroid meds, ect?

Is there depressive disorders in your family? Mother, father or siblings?

Other's have handed down some great suggestions and advice. If I can add a bit to these.

Lk3 and other's mentioned boosting your Vitamin D levels. I totally agree. Vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency are very much associated with SAD. If this is the case. You could pull your Vitamin D-25-hydroxy to assess your levels before supplementing. Yet, I'd say you'd be fine supplementing with 4,000 IU a day of Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol).

It's also imperative that you take MK7 along with your Vitamin D3. Unless you have a clotting disorder? Another few supplements I'd recommend is Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 (in the form of p5p) and magnesium. These are cofactors in converting tryptophan to serotonin and meletonin.

As for magnesium. A deficiency or insufficiency of magnesium can exacerbate SAD. Magnesium in this situation will act two-fold; it'll aid in boosting your Vitamin D levels and as the cofactors aforementioned.

I'll try to get back to this as soon as I can.

thank you sir

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party... Busy day. I'm still behind the eight ball and trying to catch up on a few paper's I have to type.

Nevertheless, I'll toss a few things out here to ponder on.

First off. Do not mix the two drugs together. And I'd try to in the near future to wean yourself off of the Zoloft, with the guidance of your prescribing practitioner.

So, in a nutshell:

Dopamine is a dual action neurotransmitter (short acting signalling). It also possesses neuromodulating effects (long acting signalling). Meaning it acts as both-- excitatory and inhibitory. Reward signalling would be excitatory; such as presexual thoughts before initial intercourse. Or say the excitement of gambling or psyching yourself up to bench a new P.R. Norepinephrine and oxytocin would come into play with two aforementioned. There doesn't have to be an excitatory state for dopamine to exert It's actions. To coincide with that, dopamine is one of the primary neurotransmitters involved with learning and retentive comprehension as well as a few other actions.

The inhibitory actions of dopamine are exerted mainly by excessive prolactin pulsatile secretory pattern. Basically, dopamine keeps prolactin in check.

Those are just a few simple examples on dopamines action.

Serotonin on the other hand is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and neuromodulator. Simply, it tames the actions of other excitatory neurotransmitters. In other words, serotonin helps maintain a delicate balance of other neurotransmitters. Serotonin is involved with mood, appetite and sensory perception. Several things can disrupt serotonin levels. Such as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
or inadequate required nutrients involved with the biosynthesis of serotonin. I don't believe that it's been established, tho some proclaim that stimulants lower plasma serotonin levels.... That I'm not for sure of?

Nevertheless, I'd try to assess all of your symptoms together. This should help narrow it down if it's seasonal depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which is related to low serotonin levels or potentially something else?

How's your sleep patterns? Any possibility of sleep apnea?

Insomnia?

Do you wake up to pee at night? If so, how many times through the night?

How's your bowel movements? Any IBS---excessive gas, diarrhea or constipation.

Food intolerance----allergies?

Any particular food cravings?

Any headaches? If so how many times per week? If upon waking and more than 5 times per week go back to number one and look into a sleep study. If later in the day, could be related to insufficient serotonin?

Any respiratory problems such as asthma? Shortness of breath, fatigue easily durning workouts or cardio?

Any phlebotomies within the last few months? If so how many over the last year?

Any other Rx meds you may have taking? Metformin, antihypertension drugs, Thyroid meds, ect?

Is there depressive disorders in your family? Mother, father or siblings?

Other's have handed down some great suggestions and advice. If I can add a bit to these.

Lk3 and other's mentioned boosting your Vitamin D levels. I totally agree. Vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency are very much associated with SAD. If this is the case. You could pull your Vitamin D-25-hydroxy to assess your levels before supplementing. Yet, I'd say you'd be fine supplementing with 4,000 IU a day of Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol).

It's also imperative that you take MK7 along with your Vitamin D3. Unless you have a clotting disorder? Another few supplements I'd recommend is Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 (in the form of p5p) and magnesium. These are cofactors in converting tryptophan to serotonin and meletonin.

As for magnesium. A deficiency or insufficiency of magnesium can exacerbate SAD. Magnesium in this situation will act two-fold; it'll aid in boosting your Vitamin D levels and as the cofactors aforementioned.

I'll try to get back to this as soon as I can.

thats basically what i was looking for, i was wondering if the 2 drugs would be counter productive ( like caffeine and valium together)
my sleeping isnt bad but i have dreams of having to find a bathroom til i wake up and run to my own at least 3 times a night usually, although sometimes its only one or 2 and sometimes its 3or 4
no problems with bowel movements at all or food allergies, only thing is i have GERD pretty bad but i remember when that started cuz i was eating SO much at night then going to sleep, (many years ago) it has been off and on with heartburn ever since, i went to my doc and he just told me to take Nexium, but i have been for a couple years now and it does help some. although i dont want to be on it indefinetly,
no food cravings, almost never get headaches, no real respiratory issues other than im old now 55 and can't seem to catch my breath as good as i used to during workouts, no phlebotomies, but i gave blood twice last year
i take no meds besides sertraline, definetly some mental issues, my grandmother on my moms side took her own life and i have always been kind of lonely and depressed off and on, my older brother took his own life many years ago and my father was just a total asshole with a violent temper,
I take Vitamin D3 1000 ius daily and magnesium at night with Melatonin and
i do take a lot of other supps such as COQ10 and omega 3s and other health supps, i havent heard of MK7... and also my diet is pretty good and i always include vegies or fruits with my meals, i guess i was just reading about the benefits of Deprenyl and its MAOI properties, but something told me i shouldnt mix it with the sertraline, Your thoughts and input are always much appreciatted.

Last edited:
this is rock solid truth right here , LK3 you should read my thread at Dat's site if you have not , it chronicles a journey through exactly what you have touched on here. I think you would enjoy it.

i have been trying to make it over to dats board for more then a year! lol

and reds board... lol

pm takes up sooo much time its hard to relaly get to another. i do not like to be one of those guys that pops up n is all about hi! im new, give me you r money! lol :naughty:

plus lots of cool stuff on dats to get into.

the neuro stuff is idk, interesting but even more due to the amount of bad shit modern medicine is doing. has nothing to do with fixing and everything to do with fuckin you up more!

theanine is a godsend in this area, not only does it increase serotonin but also helps to regulate dopamine... i feel that a lot of mood/personality disorder stuff is due to rapidly cycling dopamine...

the drugs docs push are just too strong and too general, like using a shotgun to kill a fly sure, you will get him but youre gona destroy your kitchen in the process. :naughty:

the thing that gets lots in this drug fuckery is that LIFE if what is supposed to help generate neuro chems!!!!

get that?

not drugs LIFE!
your normal day to day experiences, the ups n downs your body is designed to generate chems based on what you eat and experience during the day.

modern life, society and food have fucked that to a point that it is no longer recognizable.

food=drug

if you do not agree, go read more, no need to debate this. lol

need to learn about reward mechanism in the brain... this is associated with dopamine!

the issue a lot of us have is not with food or drugs, but with dopamine!\

i am addicted to dopamine.
doesn't make any difference how i get it, food, sex, drugs, fighting.... I LOVE DOPAMINE! lol

what a surprise, right? lol :confused: :p

probably i am like this due to some mishap growing up, life in some way fucked up my reward shit.

not enough dopamine through normal areas so it gets generated through behavior, fucking, fighting, fleeing...

due to reward mechanism this gets exacerbated over the years, need more to get similar response.... this is what drives problematic behavior, essentially.

then at some point totally fried due to drug abuse...

all you guys struggling with drug shit pay attention! this is how you fix it!
dopamine regulation, first, then serotonin...

well together really but....

you need to work the two together inmost cases.

in a recovery situation fucking with nor may help too.

we can do all with natty stuff, sometimes drugs like caber or prami can help with dopamine but need to have a lot of respect for them.

the op mentions long term use of Zoloft...
here again i know very common but from a health stand point something to strongly think about.

for many the results may out way potential negatives, as always there are probably alternatives, though they require more work and persona diligence.

i have been trying to make it over to dats board for more then a year! lol

and reds board... lol

pm takes up sooo much time its hard to relaly get to another. i do not like to be one of those guys that pops up n is all about hi! im new, give me you r money! lol :naughty:

plus lots of cool stuff on dats to get into.

the neuro stuff is idk, interesting but even more due to the amount of bad shit modern medicine is doing. has nothing to do with fixing and everything to do with fuckin you up more!

theanine is a godsend in this area, not only does it increase serotonin but also helps to regulate dopamine... i feel that a lot of mood/personality disorder stuff is due to rapidly cycling dopamine...

the drugs docs push are just too strong and too general, like using a shotgun to kill a fly sure, you will get him but youre gona destroy your kitchen in the process. :naughty:

the thing that gets lots in this drug fuckery is that LIFE if what is supposed to help generate neuro chems!!!!

get that?

not drugs LIFE!
your normal day to day experiences, the ups n downs your body is designed to generate chems based on what you eat and experience during the day.

modern life, society and food have fucked that to a point that it is no longer recognizable.

food=drug

if you do not agree, go read more, no need to debate this. lol

need to learn about reward mechanism in the brain... this is associated with dopamine!

the issue a lot of us have is not with food or drugs, but with dopamine!\

i am addicted to dopamine.
doesn't make any difference how i get it, food, sex, drugs, fighting.... I LOVE DOPAMINE! lol

what a surprise, right? lol :confused: :p

probably i am like this due to some mishap growing up, life in some way fucked up my reward shit.

not enough dopamine through normal areas so it gets generated through behavior, fucking, fighting, fleeing...

due to reward mechanism this gets exacerbated over the years, need more to get similar response.... this is what drives problematic behavior, essentially.

I've had good luck with theanine and caffeine for a nootropic effect , vs my academic " peers" who use adder all and still end up begging me to tutor them.

Just a .02 , I was an iv heroin addict for 4 years of early adult life , the biggest obstacle to overcome in early recovery was balancing my rearward systems.. I had to learn how to stimulate dopamine with things like food exercise etc where as before it was all from the push of a plunger for an instant and massive release

The higher the dopamine, the less serotonin you make. look at a MTHFR chart.
If both are apparently low, you need to take MTHF 800-1000mg.
This gene is cheaply tested thru 23andme, to see if you have a single or double mutation. MTHF is the mother to the brain transmitters, and can be indicted in S.A.D. it also controls your detox and arteriosclerosis rates.

I've had good luck with theanine and caffeine for a nootropic effect , vs my academic " peers" who use adder all and still end up begging me to tutor them.

Just a .02 , I was an iv heroin addict for 4 years of early adult life , the biggest obstacle to overcome in early recovery was balancing my rearward systems.. I had to learn how to stimulate dopamine with things like food exercise etc where as before it was all from the push of a plunger for an instant and massive release

yup

last time recovering from heavy drug use/abuse I used coca leaves usually made into a strong tea, then prolactin-x then/and stephania intermediary.

I have had to stop the steph as its just too strong.

head seems o be a bit better. lol

recently been noticing super strong effect from relatively high dose NAC.
have not taken it in a long time and reintroduced with other supps I had been missing.

totally kills nicotine craving and helps with sugar craving...

had been using nic in morning for a few months, missing the other shit...

been eating bad while injured. lol

fixing time! :headbang:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner