over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

still cramping

phreak

Registered
i can't figure out what is going on here folks.

it only happens when i'm training, and is primarily happening in my legs and abs. sometimes in my back.

i drink at least 1.5 gals of water daily

my diet is the same pretty much every day:

1) 8 jumbo eggs, 2 whole 6 white
16 oz sugar free juice
1 cup oats
1 banana
1 scoop protein powder
2 cups water

2) 8 oz ground turkey breast
4-6 oz sweet potato

3) 8 oz chicken breast
4-6 oz green beans
4-6 oz chick peas

4) 8 oz ground turkey breast
4-6 oz sweet potato

5) 7 oz tuna
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

train

6) PWO shake
2 scoops protein powder
2 cups water
50g dextrose

7) (2) 8 oz chicken breasts
large spinach salad w/balsamic vinagrette
1/2 avocado

with some cheat meals on the weekends.

i do drink a low carb "monster" before training, but i doubt this is causing it. i am supplementing with vitamins, split into three doses (these are total daily amounts):

3000mg calcium
3000mg vitamin c
1200mg magnesium
45mg zinc
300mg B-6

...and 160mg saw palmetto taken once a day.

i try to stretch sufficiently, but my quads will lock like crazy when squatting if i am not careful. my hams contantly cramp when doing chins. last night i had to quit training abs because they locked so hard in the contracted position i almost couldn't straighten myself out.

WTF????

btw, i posted a thread about this some months ago, and i think it was j-bomb who recommended i supplement with calcium. this helped for a while, but now the cramps seem to be coming back. i really haven't changed much in my day-to-day since then.

Thats a good diet man. I also see that you are taking in enough water. I honestly have no idea what you could change to make it better.

Kaiser said:
Thats a good diet man. I also see that you are taking in enough water. I honestly have no idea what you could change to make it better.

yeah, i am at a loss. :mad:

phreak said:
yeah, i am at a loss. :mad:

I was going to recommend calcium also. I normally carry a bottle of the chewable tums in my gym bag due to the same problem. They seem to work for me everytime.

Mickeymbbc from Alinboard used to have some tricks up his sleeve about this as far as supplements were concerned. I'll try to dig some up for you.

Looks like you got the calcium and magnesium in but you might try to add some slow K. Potassium. It is one of the electrolytes that can get depleted. I'm guessing but it sounds like you have an electrolyte imbalance. Also as bbers we tend to avoid salt, this is not correct. Do not add salt to your food unless there is a need, such as when your sodium potassium ratios get out of whack. I would try adding a little salt to your diet for a few days. Everyone runs away when you say salt. It is not your enemy. Do not aviod salt! If you add the salt to your diet and the cramps go, then there you have it. If you start to get water retentive just back off the salt. Nothing to lose, except the cramps.

WOW

phreak said:
i can't figure out what is going on here folks.

it only happens when i'm training, and is primarily happening in my legs and abs. sometimes in my back.

i drink at least 1.5 gals of water daily

my diet is the same pretty much every day:

1) 8 jumbo eggs, 2 whole 6 white
16 oz sugar free juice
1 cup oats
1 banana
1 scoop protein powder
2 cups water

2) 8 oz ground turkey breast
4-6 oz sweet potato

3) 8 oz chicken breast
4-6 oz green beans
4-6 oz chick peas

4) 8 oz ground turkey breast
4-6 oz sweet potato

5) 7 oz tuna
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

train

6) PWO shake
2 scoops protein powder
2 cups water
50g dextrose

7) (2) 8 oz chicken breasts
large spinach salad w/balsamic vinagrette
1/2 avocado

with some cheat meals on the weekends.

i do drink a low carb "monster" before training, but i doubt this is causing it. i am supplementing with vitamins, split into three doses (these are total daily amounts):

3000mg calcium
3000mg vitamin c
1200mg magnesium
45mg zinc
300mg B-6

...and 160mg saw palmetto taken once a day.

i try to stretch sufficiently, but my quads will lock like crazy when squatting if i am not careful. my hams contantly cramp when doing chins. last night i had to quit training abs because they locked so hard in the contracted position i almost couldn't straighten myself out.

WTF????
I thought i was the only one who got cramps in my hammies doing chins, also get the abs lock up which is why I only do a set or two once a week. I never told anyone cuz who the hell would figure you would get cramps in your hamstrings doing chins? It's weird but I haven't figured it out yet either, and it doesn't happen all the time.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO NOT END UP IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM LIKE I DID...........OR DEAD. GO GET A BLOOD TEST,NOW. CHECK BUN, CREATININE, POTASSIUM, SODIUM, CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM LEVELS.

PHIL HERNON said:
DO NOT END UP IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM LIKE I DID...........OR DEAD. GO GET A BLOOD TEST,NOW. CHECK BUN, CREATININE, POTASSIUM, SODIUM, CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM LEVELS.
Good idea! I would listen to this one!!

I used to have bad bad cramps. I think I had some calcium deficiency , because the sooner I start taking calc.vitamins they just went away.

That sounds like potassium. Take Phil's advice ASAP.

oldfella said:
Looks like you got the calcium and magnesium in but you might try to add some slow K. Potassium. It is one of the electrolytes that can get depleted. I'm guessing but it sounds like you have an electrolyte imbalance. Also as bbers we tend to avoid salt, this is not correct. Do not add salt to your food unless there is a need, such as when your sodium potassium ratios get out of whack. I would try adding a little salt to your diet for a few days. Everyone runs away when you say salt. It is not your enemy. Do not aviod salt! If you add the salt to your diet and the cramps go, then there you have it. If you start to get water retentive just back off the salt. Nothing to lose, except the cramps.

you make a good point here with the salt. i gotta be completely honest here, i do cheat sometimes during the week. and, if i have one good salty, fatty, carb heavy meal like a pizza or something, i get no cramps when i train the next day now that i think about it. pumps are better too, but that's no surprise.

but, for the most part, i stick to the diet posted, which is very low in sodium as you can see.

i have thought this may be due to sodium depletion sometimes; now i am kinda wondering why i posted this because it sounds so simple.

also, thanks for the advice on the blood test. it's been about a year since i had one so i'm definitely due.

i will also look into one of those electrolyte replacement drinks if i can find one that is sugar free.

cheers for all the responses- i always know that i can come on here for solid advice and i am very grateful for that. you guys are class acts.

@@

go get some taurine (it's responsible for balancing your electrolites)and take 500mg,then go buy some pedialite or generic (yes the shit for babies)drink a bottle of that and then make sure your are drinking plenty of water.as for your low sodium,why don't you buy sone pink himilayan mineral salt.it supplies your body with 83 minerals,iron,iodine,it lowers blood pressure,helps keep you hyrdrated and helps flush toxins.it's a little pricey but you don't have to use much because it has a real clean salty taste.what's your potassium like?you might want to try some magnesium at night.

leap

phreak said:
you make a good point here with the salt. i gotta be completely honest here, i do cheat sometimes during the week. and, if i have one good salty, fatty, carb heavy meal like a pizza or something, i get no cramps when i train the next day now that i think about it. pumps are better too, but that's no surprise.

but, for the most part, i stick to the diet posted, which is very low in sodium as you can see.

i have thought this may be due to sodium depletion sometimes; now i am kinda wondering why i posted this because it sounds so simple.

also, thanks for the advice on the blood test. it's been about a year since i had one so i'm definitely due.

i will also look into one of those electrolyte replacement drinks if i can find one that is sugar free.

cheers for all the responses- i always know that i can come on here for solid advice and i am very grateful for that. you guys are class acts.

phreak said:

Sodium, potassium and water. They are all dependant on each other for the right balance. When one gets out of ratio with the other the body then tries to compensate with storage of water and the other electrolytes in the hope it will correct itself, 9times out of ten your normal food intake will clear this up. But your diet is lacking in sodium for too long. Get your blood work done and then just add a little salt to one or two of your meals each day, a little ok. You should notice a big difference in only a couple of days. Maybe have your cheat meal and then do the salt thing for the remainder of your diet. The cheat meal is just going to kick your balance off the right way and then you maintain it with your meals. I always have a little salt to one of my meals each day. I rarely ever get cramps unless I use creatine, then its hammy cramps in the middle of the night. Not fun when they both lock up. Yes that is from creatine.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131