over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Strength & Conditioning coach question

Nate Dawg

Registered
Newbies
I am graduating this December with a dual major in nutrition and exercise science. I am having a hard time finding any jobs that I can get with this degree that doesn’t require further schooling. It seems like to get a good job with this degree, I really need to go on to chiropractic school, physical therapy, or med school etc….I really have been exposed to the options in this field of work as far as in the real world, I grew up in a very small town in Kansas and honestly farming is the only industry I have experience in…not much help here lol. Basically it seems to me that at this point personal training is about the only option. While I do have my NASM pt certification and may consider personal training for a little bit after graduation, I do not think I would like to do it full time. I have not done a lot of personal training, but the small bit I have done I did not enjoy very much, the clients would always bitch about every exercise and took nothing seriously and how much beer they drank and were getting ready to drink and just drove me nuts. I have helped a few high school kids prepare for powerlifting meets and they had the drive and desire and I really enjoyed working with them.

This leads me to my question on becoming a strength and conditioning coach, as I have been having a really hard time finding much information on how to go about this. From the few people I have talked to they said without a masters degree there isn’t a very good chance of getting a good job as a S&C coach, maybe an assistant at best. At this point graduate school doesn’t sound too exciting to me and I would really rather be making some money than piling up my student loans even more. I was wondering for those that are in this area, would it be possible to get a good position as a strength and conditioning coach with my bachelors degree and CSCS certification? Also any other ideas for job options that are obtainable with this degree?

I greatly appreciate any tips or help with this!!!

Masters Needed!

Yes! You will need a masters degree to get a good salary. Also your going to have to pay your dues and prove yourself overtime! But it is very rewarding! I got my masters in kinesiology. And had to do an intern first before I became an assistant.

Thanks hank, were you paid during your internship?

I know I am going to have to work my way up from the bottom to get some experience, I just dont know where exactly I need to be looking to start at..

Nate-

The better question that you need to ask is

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE?

Once you know that you can get your plan rolling.

Do you just want to be a personal trainer working for a company like 24hour fitness or would you rather be working at a University as a Strength and Conditioning Coach?

Maybe you would prefer to be in the lab working on the latest and greatest study.

This needs to be answered first. Put money aside. If you are great at something you will always be well rewarded no matter what job it is.

After that hit me up with a PM, I'm more then happy to help a fellow Kansan out.

Nate-

The better question that you need to ask is

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE?

Once you know that you can get your plan rolling.

Do you just want to be a personal trainer working for a company like 24hour fitness or would you rather be working at a University as a Strength and Conditioning Coach?

Maybe you would prefer to be in the lab working on the latest and greatest study.

This needs to be answered first. Put money aside. If you are great at something you will always be well rewarded no matter what job it is.

After that hit me up with a PM, I'm more then happy to help a fellow Kansan out.

Exactly on point! I was paid for my intern well they hired me as a full-time assistant after a month! I wanted to be happy with what I was doing first! Everything else is taking care of itself.

If you want to get your masters, may be you should look in to being a grad assisant strength coach to pay for your schooling while getting you the experience you need. This my not pay you much but it is networking to get the next job. Are you willing to move because if you don't then you may limit your options. You can also personal train on the side while you are in school to get a few extra $$$. On the other hand you can work as a s&c coach for a sports specific training center and not have to get a masters and start earning a living at coaching. Let me know if I can help you out, I live in the Chicago area. Good luck!

Most masters programs I think have assistantships where you help teach a class and assist in research and then in return you get free tuition and a small stipend. Thats how it was for me when I was going for my masters in exercise physiology. So I had no tution to pay and was paid enough to take care of living expenses.

This is all I can add. If I were you I would pursue an advance degree and do this thru a major university with good sports programs Ie football, basketball ect and become a graduate assistant to the strength and conditioning coach or program. This will help you land a job at that univerdity or another. I have several classmates in college who did just this. 1 for Baylor and the other at UT...

nate dawg

like some of the other guys said you WILL need to get your masters. this career is also very much about WHO you know. obviously you have to know your stuff, and anyone will be able to see if you do or dont, but past that point of proving yourself you need to have connections.

i also suggest you get as much experience teaching people how to train correctly as you can. if you can teach a complete novice how to front squat, clean, snatch, RDL, overhead squat, then you will be somewhat on your way. do an internship SOMEWHERE and get yourself connected. also, be open to other ideas and philosophies about training. the more open minded you are, and (i hate to say this) the more you can get away from the bodybuilding/powerlifting style mindset the better off you will be.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws