over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Strong men live longer

718si

Banned
The more weight men can shift with bench presses and the leg press, the longer their life expectancy. Muscle power protects, especially against cancer, a team of Swedish and American health scientists discovered.

According to a dozen or so studies, muscle power reduces the chance of death. The stronger people are, the longer their life expectancy. The problem with the studies is that the scientists mostly tested the muscle strength of their subjects by getting them to squeeze hand grips. What’s more, hardly any of the studies included people over sixty.

The researchers tried to fill in the knowledge gap by referring to a study of nine thousand fit American males whose muscle strength had been measured by the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, Texas in the eighties. The Cooper Clinic measured how many kilograms the men could shift with bench presses and leg presses, and used the data to divide the men into little body strength (lower), normal body strength (middle) or lots of body strength (upper). The researchers monitored the men until 2003 and noted how many of them died in that period. Most of the men did regular weight training.

The figure below shows that the men with more physical strength were at less risk of dying. Among the strong men, the chance of dying from cancer in particular was lower.

You look at relative chances. Men with high physical strength are 33 percent less likely to die of cancer than men with little physical strength.

The figures above are corrected for "physical activity, current smoking, alcohol intake, body mass index, baseline medical conditions, family history of cardiovascular disease, and cardiorespiratory fitness". So strength itself protects. Therefore it’s not the case that because strong men exercise more often they have healthier cardiovascular systems and therefore are less likely to die.

When the researchers divided up the data they saw that physical strength is a protective factor among the sixty plus group, and not among the men younger than sixty.

When the scientists divided up the group on the basis of BMI, they saw that fat men are also protected by physical strength. "These results have important implications for public health", they write. "It might be possible to reduce all causes of mortality among men by promoting regular resistance training involving the major muscle groups of the upper and lower body two or three days a week."

But weight training shouldn’t replace running or cardio training, the researchers think – you need to do both.

Sources: BMJ. 2008 Jul 1;337:a439. doi: 10.1136/bmj.a439.

http://www.ergo-log.com/strongmenlivelonger.html

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Cool article, thanks!

Now if they'd just do a study on AAS using men who can bench 400+ and Squat 600+...We're gonna live FOREVER!! hahaha. :headbang:

Very Interesting article, thank you for sharing this one..

Cheers
An Old Dawg

Nice reading! Thanks a ton...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

also can save lives....i got into a bad acciendt and broke 16 bones in my body ...the fire fighters told me if i was a normal person i would have died for sure i was 230 9% body fat

Great article 718 thanks for posting that. I have another really good one I read on MSN saying the same things, pretty extensive study I gotta find it and post the article as well.

That goes against all real world evidence. Most of the people that live very long lives are very small skinny people that eat low calorie diets. Think of the little japanse people, structures like that. Now being lean might be a good thing for longetivity, but carryin as much muscle as a bodybuilder is definitely not going to make you live longer and on the contrary evidence would show that it hurts your life expectancy. I think what the study does show though is that being fit, active, and strong for the average population is good. There is a difference between the average population's idea of strong and then bodybuilder size/strength especially that obtained by using anabolic steroids. Having a large amount of muscle is going to put extra strain on the heart and thats not a good thing. One of the first things my cardiologist told me after the heart attack was that me losing some muscle really wasnt a bad thing for my heart. I feel better now that I have lost about 30 lbs of muscle, my heart doesnt get messed up as much as it was.

Last edited:
That goes against all real world evidence. Most of the people that live very long lives are very small skinny people that eat low calorie diets. Think of the little japanse people, structures like that. Now being lean might be a good thing for longetivity, but carryin as much muscle as a bodybuilder is definitely not going to make you live longer and on the contrary evidence would show that it hurts your life expectancy. I think what the study does show though is that being fit, active, and strong for the average population is good. There is a difference between the average population's idea of strong and then bodybuilder size/strength especially that obtained by using anabolic steroids. Having a large amount of muscle is going to put extra strain on the heart and thats not a good thing. One of the first things my cardiologist told me after the heart attack was that me losing some muscle really wasnt a bad thing for my heart. I feel better now that I have lost about 30 lbs of muscle, my heart doesnt get messed up as much as it was.

i think if you are a bit more stronger than the average and bit more muscular then the average then yeh your longevity increases. Think bout frailty as we get older. aspiration pneumonia because ur breathing muscles are weaker. falling down cause ur legs are weaker. All that can be slowed down if you are more muscular then average. ITs probably a bell shaped curve. as you get stronger longevity increases to a certain point after which any more strength and longevity decreases

i think if you are a bit more stronger than the average and bit more muscular then the average then yeh your longevity increases. Think bout frailty as we get older. aspiration pneumonia because ur breathing muscles are weaker. falling down cause ur legs are weaker. All that can be slowed down if you are more muscular then average. ITs probably a bell shaped curve. as you get stronger longevity increases to a certain point after which any more strength and longevity decreases

Yes, I agree with you about the curve absolutely.

High test= shorter life as well so everyone roidIng uP to get stronger shouldn't expect to live longer.

also can save lives....i got into a bad acciendt and broke 16 bones in my body ...the fire fighters told me if i was a normal person i would have died for sure i was 230 9% body fat

This is true had an old weight training coach who had been in a logging accident, had a log come of the truck right on top of his head and split him wide open doc said the only reason his neck didn't break cause it was so thick and muscular.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I liked the article but I cant help think about how many competitive strong men die prematurely.
Usually of cardiac oriented problems.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner