over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: A High Protein Diet Has No Harmful Effects

MR. BMJ

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
The following study was completed by Dr. Jose Antonio who has been around forever in the bodybuilding scene. This was posted up on FB a week or so ago. Just a good bit of info to have in the collection.

Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume.2016.(2016), Article ID.9104792, 5 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/9104792

Research Article

A High Protein Diet Has No Harmful Effects: A One-Year Crossover Study in Resistance-Trained Males

Jose Antonio,.Anya Ellerbroek,.Tobin Silver,.Leonel Vargas,.Armando Tamayo,.Richard Buehn,.and Corey A. Peacock
Exercise and Sport Science Laboratory, Nova Southeastern University, Davie, FL, USA

Received 1 July 2016; Accepted 20 September 2016
Academic Editor: Michael B..Zemel

Copyright © 2016 Jose Antonio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract
The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of a high protein diet over a one-year period. Fourteen healthy resistance-trained men completed the study (mean ± SD; age yr; height cm; and average years of training yr). In a randomized crossover design, subjects consumed their habitual or normal diet for 2 months and 4 months and alternated that with a higher protein diet (>3 g/kg/d) for 2 months and 4 months. Thus, on average, each subject was on their normal diet for 6 months and a higher protein diet for 6 months. Body composition was assessed via the Bod Pod®. Each subject provided approximately 100–168 daily dietary self-reports. During the subjects’ normal eating phase, they consumed (mean ± SD)29.94 +/- 5.65 kcals/kg/day and 2.51 +/- 0.69 g/kg/day of protein. This significantly increased (p < 0.05) during the high protein phase to 34.37 +/- kcals/kg/day and 3.32 +/- 0.87 g/kg/day of protein. Our investigation discovered that, in resistance-trained men that consumed a high protein diet (~2.51–3.32 g/kg/d) for one year, there were no harmful effects on measures of blood lipids as well as liver and kidney function. In addition, despite the total increase in energy intake during the high protein phase, subjects did not experience an increase in fat mass.

Awesome info, I was honestly about to start researching this very topic!

Ill go with this!~

This protein scare has been bounced around since the 1970's.... I thought it was shit then and glad to know the good doc is looking into it again... I think you can eat anything to the point of toxicity but for us where is that line... Our body will use it or out it goes... and we need a lot of it..

Excellent study. My protein is around 400 grams while cutting. This eases my mind a bit on kidney welfare.

There was a doctor on here or on another board that said he would only be concerned if your daily protein intake was over 450 grams a day, day in day out.

I remember Dante and a few guys posting studies debunking how high protein diets did not yield more muscle than the recommendations of the likes of the ACSM and other general guidelines.

Glad to see this, I will still be pretty proactive about my health, but this makes me feel a bit better.

The titile is remarkable. The subjects were only young males with several years of experience with resistance training and regularly consuming a high protein diet. Maybe this group has strong protein metabolic capacity. Why isn't the whole group? That remained some problems to be solved.

I remember Dante and a few guys posting studies debunking how high protein diets did not yield more muscle than the recommendations of the likes of the ACSM and other general guidelines.

Glad to see this, I will still be pretty proactive about my health, but this makes me feel a bit better.

Debunking? He posts studies recommending high protein for maximal muscle gains, not debunking it :confused:

Its not harmful but is it wasteful? Necessary?
It's hard to extrapolate from this information. However, consider the that the test subjects on the high protein diet increased muscle and decreased fat free mass more than than the normal diet, despite the fact that they ate 400 more calories a day.

This should demonstrate that protein metabolism is not entirely understood.

Is a high protein diet wasteful? Perhaps. Necessary? Probably not. But what if the rate limiting factor for protein synthesis is protein consumption? In an endeavour where many individuals are exogenously manipulating their hormonal environment to achieve maximal muscle growth, why would they also not consider consuming more dietary protein in the quest for maximal hypertrophy?

Debunking? He posts studies recommending high protein for maximal muscle gains, not debunking it :confused:

debunked high protein diets did not yield more muscle = high protein diets do yield more muscle.

you're both on the same page.

High protein diet is the only way for optimal Body composition!

High muscle mass and low Fat Mass!

A high carb is disaster in term of Health and Optimal Body Composition!

I follow a High Protein, Medium fats, low carbs year round and have no trouble adding Fat Free Mass while staying at the same bodyfat!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws