advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: Kyolic aged garlic extract: lowers blood pressure and improves arterial stiffness and gut microbiota

Swifto

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Exp Ther Med. 2020 Feb;19(2):1472-1478. doi: 10.3892/etm.2019.8374. Epub 2019 Dec 27.
Garlic lowers blood pressure in hypertensive subjects, improves arterial stiffness and gut microbiota: A review and meta-analysis.
Ried K1,2,3.
Author information
1National Institute of Integrative Medicine (NIIM), Hawthorn, Melbourne, Victoria 3122, Australia.2Department of General Practice, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia.3Torrens University, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia.
Abstract
Garlic supplements have shown effectiveness in reducing blood pressure in hypertensive patients, similarly to first-line standard anti-hypertensive medications. Kyolic garlic has also shown promise in improving cardiovascular health by reducing arterial stiffness, elevated cholesterol levels and blood 'stickiness'. In addition, the prebiotic properties in garlic increase gut microbial richness and diversity. This article systematically reviews previously published trials investigating the effects of garlic on blood pressure, and provides an updated meta-analysis of hypertensive participants. In addition, we summarise the findings of recent clinical trials investigating the effects of Kyolic aged garlic extract on arterial stiffness, and gut microbiota in hypertensive subjects. We searched online electronic databases, including PubMed and Google Scholar for randomised controlled trials (RCTs) published between 1955 and December, 2018 examining the effects of garlic on high blood pressure. The meta-analysis of 12 trials and 553 hypertensive participants confirmed that garlic supplements lower systolic blood pressure (SBP) by an average of 8.3±1.9 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure (DBP, n=8 trials, n=374 subjects) by 5.5±1.9 mmHg, similarly to standard anti-hypertensive medications. This reduction in blood pressure was associated with a 16-40% reduction in the risk of suffering from cardiovascular events. Additionally, this review summarises new evidence for the vitamin B12 status playing an important role in the responsiveness of blood pressure to garlic. Furthermore, Kyolic aged garlic extract significantly lowered central blood pressure, pulse pressure, pulse wave velocity and arterial stiffness, and improved the gut microbiota, evidenced by higher microbial richness and diversity, with a marked increase in the numbers of Lactobacillus and Clostridia species found following 3 months of supplementation. Thus, Kyolic aged garlic extract is considered to be highly tolerable with a high safety profile either as a stand-alone or adjunctive anti-hypertensive treatment, with multiple benefits for cardiovascular health.
Copyright: © Ried et al.
KEYWORDS:
aged garlic extract; arterial stiffness; blood pressure; gut microbiome; hypertension; meta-analysis; pulse wave velocity
PMID: 32010325 PMCID: PMC6966103 DOI: 10.3892/etm.2019.8374

Exp Ther Med. 2020 Feb;19(2):1472-1478. doi: 10.3892/etm.2019.8374. Epub 2019 Dec 27.
Garlic lowers blood pressure in hypertensive subjects, improves arterial stiffness and gut microbiota: A review and meta-analysis.
Ried K1,2,3.
Author information
1National Institute of Integrative Medicine (NIIM), Hawthorn, Melbourne, Victoria 3122, Australia.2Department of General Practice, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia.3Torrens University, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia.
Abstract
Garlic supplements have shown effectiveness in reducing blood pressure in hypertensive patients, similarly to first-line standard anti-hypertensive medications. Kyolic garlic has also shown promise in improving cardiovascular health by reducing arterial stiffness, elevated cholesterol levels and blood 'stickiness'. In addition, the prebiotic properties in garlic increase gut microbial richness and diversity. This article systematically reviews previously published trials investigating the effects of garlic on blood pressure, and provides an updated meta-analysis of hypertensive participants. In addition, we summarise the findings of recent clinical trials investigating the effects of Kyolic aged garlic extract on arterial stiffness, and gut microbiota in hypertensive subjects. We searched online electronic databases, including PubMed and Google Scholar for randomised controlled trials (RCTs) published between 1955 and December, 2018 examining the effects of garlic on high blood pressure. The meta-analysis of 12 trials and 553 hypertensive participants confirmed that garlic supplements lower systolic blood pressure (SBP) by an average of 8.3±1.9 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure (DBP, n=8 trials, n=374 subjects) by 5.5±1.9 mmHg, similarly to standard anti-hypertensive medications. This reduction in blood pressure was associated with a 16-40% reduction in the risk of suffering from cardiovascular events. Additionally, this review summarises new evidence for the vitamin B12 status playing an important role in the responsiveness of blood pressure to garlic. Furthermore, Kyolic aged garlic extract significantly lowered central blood pressure, pulse pressure, pulse wave velocity and arterial stiffness, and improved the gut microbiota, evidenced by higher microbial richness and diversity, with a marked increase in the numbers of Lactobacillus and Clostridia species found following 3 months of supplementation. Thus, Kyolic aged garlic extract is considered to be highly tolerable with a high safety profile either as a stand-alone or adjunctive anti-hypertensive treatment, with multiple benefits for cardiovascular health.
Copyright: © Ried et al.
KEYWORDS:
aged garlic extract; arterial stiffness; blood pressure; gut microbiome; hypertension; meta-analysis; pulse wave velocity
PMID: 32010325 PMCID: PMC6966103 DOI: 10.3892/etm.2019.8374

Maybe I’m blind or retarded; but what was the dosage used in the studies?

Im about to order some right now lol

I've been using this for years. However, I switched from the supplement to eating a few raw garlic cloves a day instead. It works either way but you just get the added allicin from eating it.

This study looked at 12 other previous studies. You'd have to have a look at the various doses used.

This one below used 1.2g/ED.

This one used 800mg/ED.

Xhttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/306522006_Does_Garlic_Supplementation_Control_Blood_Pressure_in_Patients_with_Severe_Coronary_Artery_Disease_A_Clinical_Trial_Study

Another below using 900mg/ED.

Further reading on garlic, BP, inflammation and lipid improvements (scroll down): https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_gut_microbiota_A_review_and_meta-analysis

I'd start on 900mg per day as it seems the Kyolic garlic caps are 300mg each.

This study looked at 12 other previous studies. You'd have to have a look at the various doses used.

This one below used 1.2g/ED.

This one used 800mg/ED.

Xhttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/306522006_Does_Garlic_Supplementation_Control_Blood_Pressure_in_Patients_with_Severe_Coronary_Artery_Disease_A_Clinical_Trial_Study

Another below using 900mg/ED.

Further reading on garlic, BP, inflammation and lipid improvements (scroll down): https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_gut_microbiota_A_review_and_meta-analysis

I'd start on 900mg per day as it seems the Kyolic garlic caps are 300mg each.

There’s tablets on amazon that are 600mg each..

I noticed that some say “Formula 100” and “Formula 109” etc... Any idea what that means?

There’s tablets on amazon that are 600mg each..

I noticed that some say “Formula 100” and “Formula 109” etc... Any idea what that means?
The different "formulas" have different ingredients with the garlic. For example the one for the blood pressure has Hawthorne berry and garlic. I use the one with just garlic, formula 100.

The different "formulas" have different ingredients with the garlic. For example the one for the blood pressure has Hawthorne berry and garlic. I use the one with just garlic, formula 100.

Exactly. I have used a few and the last one was the cholesterol version (formula 104). People just wanting garlic are probably best just going with formula 100 which is solely aged garlic at 1000mg per capsule.

Exactly. I have used a few and the last one was the cholesterol version (formula 104). People just wanting garlic are probably best just going with formula 100 which is solely aged garlic at 1000mg per capsule.
They make a 1,000mg per capsules kyolic but the formula 100 is 300mg per capsule. Just wanted to clarify incase someone buys it without looking haha

Is that the modern black garlic they sell nowadays?

I eat about 10gms of the regular store bought

They make a 1,000mg per capsules kyolic but the formula 100 is 300mg per capsule. Just wanted to clarify incase someone buys it without looking haha

Well we’re going to have to write to them and complain, figure out what the hell is going on..

I see “Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract, Original Formula 100” and it’s 600mg per tablet.... Lol

I would think as long as it has the active ingredient we’re looking for then we’re good to go..

Well we’re going to have to write to them and complain, figure out what the hell is going on..

I see “Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract, Original Formula 100” and it’s 600mg per tablet.... Lol

I would think as long as it has the active ingredient we’re looking for then we’re good to go..
Look at the serving size. Its two capsules per serving.

Is that the modern black garlic they sell nowadays?

I eat about 10gms of the regular store bought
No they are not the same. Black garlic has lower levels of allicin than kyolic and fresh garlic. You also cannot just swallow garlic cloves either. They need to be crushed/damaged to release the allicin.

Yes I realized after posting it was slightly different. It's the same ingredient but they do a 1 per day version at 1000mg per capsule. I would rather get the 300 cap bottle formula 100 version and take 2 am/pm so you end up with 1200mg per day. That's the dose I used each time and the same for when I used formula 104 (4 caps and 1200mg per day).

I ate a lot of garlic for a lot of years. Then read that you should chop it up then let it sit exposed to air for at least 10 minutes as that helps increase the effectiveness of the garlic. Can't say I have ever seen anything other then that 1 study that brought that up but have been doing that for years jusy tp play it safe.

I've been using this for years. However, I switched from the supplement to eating a few raw garlic cloves a day instead. It works either way but you just get the added allicin from eating it.
Thank you for the response...

As I read this I was thought “why use supplements instead of real garlic clove?”

it’s like using vitamins instead of real food which holds the natural benefits and then some.

Pretty cool. Looked up the MOA

“The antihypertensive properties of garlic have been linked to stimulation of intracellular nitric oxide and hydrogen sulphide production, and blockage of angiotensin II production, which in turn promote vasodilation and thus reduction in BP”

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws