over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study Low Load-High Volume being most effective for Protein Synthesis

Pekkerwood

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
From the Wall Street Journal:

Muscle Growth: Lifting lighter weights creates more muscle protein than lifting heavier weights when exercising toward exhaustion, according to a study in PLoS ONE.

View Full Image

Erica Beckman/The Wall Street Journal

Low-load, high-volume lifting has been shown to be the most effective in stimulating muscle-protein creation.
.Researchers randomly assigned 15 men to perform two of three exercises, one per leg. One group did as many leg extensions as possible at 90% of their maximum lifting weight, the second group did three times as many repetitions at 30% of the maximum lifting weight and the third group of subjects did as many leg extensions as possible at 30% of maximum weight.

Researchers extracted tissue samples from each participant before, four hours after, and 24 hours after the exercises. Analysis of the samples found that the first and third strategies were the most effective for stimulating the creation of muscle proteins. But only the third strategy—low-load, high-volume lifting—increased the rate of muscle-protein synthesis 24 hours after exercising.

Caveat: It's unclear whether the findings also apply to women or upper-body exercises. Though previous studies have shown that increases in muscle-protein synthesis lead to long-term muscle growth, the present study only examined short-term effects.

■Low-Load High Volume Resistance Exercise Stimulates Muscle Protein Synthesis More Than High-Load Low Volume Resistance Exercise in Young Men

Well, most know that super high reps for legs is very effective and this has been proven time and time again. As for other body parts, not so much. Time for the research group to test out other body parts for confirmation.

I can allready see the posts of disagreement that will follow in this thread.

The sample size is small (15).

Its only done on legs.

Did the subjects have previous training experience...

The third group went to failure whereas the others did not (or at least positive failure)....that's the key IMO....The first group did as well...but at 90% that's maybe 2-3 reps max....which is why powerlifters aren't as big as bodybuilders (at least most in the hypertophy dept)

Last edited:
The third group went to failure whereas the others did not (or at least positive failure)....that's the key IMO....The first group did as well...but at 90% that's maybe 2-3 reps max....which is why powerlifters aren't as big as bodybuilders (at least most in the hypertophy dept)

That last statement is debatable. They obviously don't LOOK as muscular covered in a layer of fat (most of them, anyway), but many of them end up putting bodybuilders to shame if/when they diet down for a show. Whether that's mainly do to the big eating over the years or the heavy singles, low reps, or a combination of the two, I don't know.

The 90% group performed on average a 5 rep max. The 30% group averaged 24 reps. Also the 24 reps were performed at a 1/0/1 rep speed so 48 total seconds per set. Not exactly a long set.

Last edited:
well.. powerlifters do well in the physique dept when they switch to more hypertrophy based work.. why? well they have the strength that transfers over to the more traditional bodybuilding movements.. take a guy who can bench 600 for a single and translate that to sets of 10 (example) he might be handling 500 pounds.. that will create a lot of hypertrophy :D

What does this prove that most don't already know? Of course repping out with 30% 1rm is going to cause more protein synthesis than 4-5reps with 90% because it's simply more volume. Why's such a debate really? I thought this was basic stuff.

I doubt the study would show similar result in adapted trainees. If you are a complete novice anything more than 0 will have a dramatic impact and volume is going to outperform intensity. After the body has adapted to a certain workload however repping out 30% work loads isn't going to do much of anything other than get a little blood in the joints for active recovery.

The "science" students who do these studies often have so little experience that they believe their hypothesis has merit even if it is brain dead stupid.

nice article

thanks for posting

hmmm sounds suspiciously like an excuse to train like a pussy.

so.......your saying

if you train high volume........YOUR A PUSSY????!!!!

lol.....is it past your bed time kiddo???

Well

I believe it...........because the 3rd group got closer to true positive failure........think about it........90% of max? IF you can do 2-3 reps do you believe that you could squeeze out more if the resistance was lowered to 30%? I do.........why is this research all or nothing.............try 50-60% max to failure

um...

Wall Street Journal? When did that become a respected exercise science journal organization. I sure they are just reporting this finding but... please where is this information from, who did this study, what company or governing body oversaw this study? Who were the subjects, testers.... etc. :naughty: Need more info please!!

Goo

I HAVE TO AGREE.. why 30%.. i have seen interesting studies at 50% and a bit higher but 30% seems way low.. protein synthesis yes.. but that may not translate into hypertrophy..

Greetings Everyone

Greetings Everybody, I'm not brand new to your website but I thought right now was as good as time as any to say hi there, so.. well howdy :)

I've been a board lurker for awhile and just now decided that I would say hi. I looked but could find a specific "Introductions section" so forgive me if this is inappropriate. Look forward to getting to know all of you. Hey and if you want to learn a little about me stop by This is My weblog. At You can See Our weblog I speak about things I like to do and some of my hobbies, kinda boring I might think.

Anyways - thanks much - It's been my pleasure.

Sounds good to me

This is just the little push I needed. I am going to give this approach a try. This max-weight, lo-rep style I seem to default to from my powerlifting days is leaving my joints feeling a little beat-up lately.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws