over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: negative reps result in 3x more hypertrophy and 5x more strength gains

I think nothuman mistakenly called it negatives but the study and article doesn't reference negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose so. I kind of figured taking 3 seconds to lower the weight is more or less the same if we are being technical about it.

I also recall SuppVersity posting a study last week or so about this. Not sure if it was the same one or not.

Heard it all before....don't believe it. It is a great way to bring on injuries though.

Yup, look up tempo. That's all I do FOR EVERYTHING. What's not tracked is not managed. Funny how I bring up topics and people dont give credit.

●Strength is gained in the range it is trained●
Beg your pardon sir we forgot to give you credit. What a travesty!

hmmmm but we dont know who you are and what do we have to give u credit for lol

oh wait nobody give a fuck here either way
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Tom is a old school bodybuilder, veteran of the iron game and a senior member here. Learn to speak with respect before you run your big mouth next time or you wont be welcome here.

FYI Just because someone doesnt come up with a smart ass one liners doesnt mean they do not know what the fuck they are doing. This is bodybuilding not quantum physics you genius !

Bodybuilders have had this shit figured out long time ago before ben paulski or layne norton were out of their nappies Einsteining the shit of the simple concept (which btw just worked) - plain and simple) to sell their propaganda to public and make £££££.

and for next time keep your Layne fucking Norton smart ass one liners to yourselves.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Beg your pardon sir we forgot to give you credit. What a travesty!

hmmmm but we dont know who you are and what do we have to give u credit for lol

oh wait nobody give a fuck here either way

Tom is a old school bodybuilder, veteran of the iron game and a senior member here. Learn to speak with respect before you run your big mouth next time or you wont be welcome here.

FYI Just because someone doesnt come up with a smart ass one liners doesnt mean they do not know what the fuck they are doing. This is bodybuilding not quantum physics you genius !

Bodybuilders have had this shit figured out long time ago before ben paulski or layne norton were out of their nappies Einsteining the shit of the simple concept (which btw just worked) - plain and simple) to sell their propaganda to public and make £££££.

and for next time keep your Layne fucking Norton smart ass one liners to yourselves.

I don't follow layne norton for training, in fact, I follow the USA Olympic strength Coach who has ifbb contestants under his belt.
I don't need to whip it out to compare, I'm big enough.

But eccentric training is entirely neglected. If you wanna neglect it that's up to you.

Not to start an argument, but can u explain that.
I really wanna know.

Lowering heavy weights eccentrically causes much more micro-trauma to the muscles and connective tissues. Because of this much longer recovery times are a necessity. Most people are not willing to wait long enough in between eccentric training sessions for complete recovery to occur thus leading to muscle / tendon damage. This type of training also leads to CNS burnout at a much faster rate than conventional training.

Yup, look up tempo. That's all I do FOR EVERYTHING. What's not tracked is not managed. Funny how I bring up topics and people dont give credit.

Just so I have this right............

You don't feel you're getting enough credit for your 30 posts in the one month you've been here???????

You don't feel you're getting enough credit for your 30 posts in the one month you've been here???????

well maybe blast cruise booze could tell us the secret of boozing then in all of this.

Lowering heavy weights eccentrically causes much more micro-trauma to the muscles and connective tissues. Because of this much longer recovery times are a necessity. Most people are not willing to wait long enough in between eccentric training sessions for complete recovery to occur thus leading to muscle / tendon damage. This type of training also leads to CNS burnout at a much faster rate than conventional training.

it's not an older man's game for sure for us. I made tremendous gains on slow tempo and controlled negatives from my twenties and thirties- still use them but just not training as brutally heavy as I once did then.
I gained a lot of mass on some negative only sets back then too but training was no fun finding partners to help lift the weight back up 100% and you are correct on recovery I could only train body parts once every 7 - 9 days this way, sometimes adding in a pump type recoup work out in-between but if doing the negatives for chest back and legs shoulders and arms got no indirect work other than some pumps sets and still grew.
Not really a great way to train as mentioned for many reasons above.
Some of the biggest guys I have seen train like ronnie and branch ballistic style with those machine gun rapid fires sets where you can't tell the positive from the negative.

Are you referring to every rep in an set? Or only the post failure reps?

Thanks in advance.

Thought I was on meso lol. I'm using Tapatalk, sorry bout that

well maybe blast cruise booze could tell us the secret of boozing then in all of this.

I already know what that one.....concreter PMd me about it...

:)

I don't follow layne norton for training, in fact, I follow the USA Olympic strength Coach who has ifbb contestants under his belt.
I don't need to whip it out to compare, I'm big enough.

But eccentric training is entirely neglected. If you wanna neglect it that's up to you.

I dont disagree with you at all mate!! I like eccentric training personally. I use it sparingly and how it should be used. less now compare to my early days.

If you read my posts I described how I do it and pros and cons of it in my humble opinion/exp like others have stated how they prefer it etc.

Like Doug said how you went onto qoute Tom's post was not necessary which got me a little mad. thats all. No hard feelings.

All the best to you in your goals. cheers

Last edited:
I already know what that one.....concreter PMd me about it...

:)

MG mate forget that we need to find out what beer Tenny drank leading upto 2 years of his bb journey which lead to that epic shot he posted in how long you have been bbing thread.

MG mate forget that we need to find out what beer Tenny drank leading upto 2 years of his bb journey which lead to that epic shot he posted in how long you have been bbing thread.

Haha, true! If only he would share that secret, I would be golden!:p

Are you referring to every rep in an set? Or only the post failure reps?

Thanks in advance.

Well....the further you get into the set approaching / past failure the more likely you are to cause micro trauma to the muscle or connective tissue. I'm not saying you shouldn't train this way. Obviously for me coming up on my 63 rd Bday, I wouldn't do it. To minimize risk of injury I would only train this way 2 or 3 times a month. To clarify my earlier statement of not believing the study I do not agree that training this way will give you the percentage increases in strength and mass that are claimed. Too many big and strong guys who never trained in this manner to buy into the study claims.

I think that you have to not only define a "negative" or the eccentric motion but also under what conditions you apply it.

Are you doing negatives after normal work sets, doing negative reps at the end of the work set, or doing a separate eccentric workout? Are you truly doing little to none of the eccentric work? Are you doing it during cycle or out of cycle?

As Massive G pointed out, it is difficult to get people to truly spot for a totally eccentric set where they totally lift the weight back into position. Because of this, I primarily only did them if I could coerce training partners into participating as well.

During the pre- interweb days when info was more scarce and anecdotal in nature, "negatives" were my "secret sauce" to overcoming stagnation.I rarely saw anyone teeing up a totally eccentric set.

There is no doubt it was the key to jumpstarting gains for me that showed up for sure in the strength department. I have used it more than once on younger guys trying to overcome strength hurdles in the workout.

It is pretty non intuitive, because I would not feel like I had a heavy workout in the traditional sense, but it certainly required a bit of recovery.

While a little bit of my experiences with it could be chalked up to "Anything different works for the short term" I truly feel like it was a valuable tool to have, mentally, if nothing else.

PWood

Never had an injury from a negative. But lighter weight and negatives did seem to help cure my elbow tendinitis, not the same sort of negatives in the OP.

I incorporate negatives into my workouts as with supersets, dropsets, hypertrophy, moderately heavy lower reps etc..

I don't consider 3 seconds that much of a negative, just more of a controlled rep.

Iv done all my reps with every exercise with a really slow controlled negatives on the down stroke ever since I watched Yates training like that and it absolutely enhances your growth. It has for me. You don't have to use more weight than you can push back up. That's irrelevant. It works with any weight and is just getting the most out of mind muscle connection because the movement is so much more controlled than doing it as fast as you can. If you doubt this principle I really don't think you've done it enough to see how awesome it is. The muscle pumps are killer because it's really just getting the most out of the constant tension principle. We all know this works. And if you've never done it give it a try and see for yourself. I'm sure you'll see the difference between this and just slamming weight back and forth as fast as possible. And your a lot less likely to get an injury training like this. Failure dosnt just creep up on you. When your done you don't need forced reps because your just smoked.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws