over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: negative reps result in 3x more hypertrophy and 5x more strength gains

Does the study mean negative reps in general?

Or forced negatives, after going to failure?

Is there a link to the study? Was it so much weight that a positive couldn't be performed so they did negatives? Or was the study about controlling the negative? Interesting nonetheless

Heard it all before....don't believe it. It is a great way to bring on injuries though.

Is there a link to the study? Was it so much weight that a positive couldn't be performed so they did negatives? Or was the study about controlling the negative? Interesting nonetheless

Oops forgot to paste it. Edited

To not emphasize to some point, the negative portion is missing out on growth, IMHO. But I'm very skeptical on the positive strength claims portion.

They did 3 seconds on the way down - seems more like control than a negative in the way we typically describe them (ultra slow or forced).

I typically do 3 up/3 down. Going really fast momentum takes over and too slow is just that - too slow.

Rep for mygearguru

Visit mygearguru.com for discounts on all your aas and hgh needs! Use code march for 38% off your order!

Yup, look up tempo. That's all I do FOR EVERYTHING. What's not tracked is not managed. Funny how I bring up topics and people dont give credit.

●Strength is gained in the range it is trained●

You have no idea what you're talking about.

●Strength is gained in the range it is trained●

Is that really necessary? We all know that we can lower WAY more weight than we can lift. So in some instances with partners who assist in a way that you are only lowering, he is correct.

ive never gotten an injury on a negative rep....:lightbulb:

but doing actual negative reps can mean so many different things.
BUT.....every action gets an equal, opposite REaction....:lightbulb:

:cool:

ive never gotten an injury on a negative rep....:lightbulb:

but doing actual negative reps can mean so many different things.
BUT.....every action gets an equal, opposite REaction....:lightbulb:

:cool:

You have no idea what you are talking about. :p:D

Heard it all before....don't believe it. It is a great way to bring on injuries though.

Not to start an argument, but can u explain that.
I really wanna know.

You have no idea what you are talking about. :p:D
doug mate I think tenny have had too many american beers today. he is mixing threads up with few injury related threads lately.

he even remixed Newtons gravitational law in there somehow. babahahha tenny is killin it. tenny put the bottle down lol

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

doug mate I think tenny have had too many american beers today. he is mixing threads up with few injury related threads lately.

he even remixed Newtons gravitational law in there somehow. babahahha tenny is killin it. tenny put the bottle down lol

Haha! It's only 1:40 pm here in Florida! I'm not drinking until tonight, Toby Keith is putting on a concert here where I now live. Gonna walk over and listen, I don't have a ticket, but it's outdoors, on a driving range actually.

big dog i do them..

i have seen growth on them indeed. size and and strength.

the weight u lower sloooooow becomes easy on the concentric part fairy soon ! you will find this.

but here is the thing with them..

cos u see your strength climb up people tend to do them top often

they tax nervous system big time!!!

u need longer to recover..

if u see dorians HIT , well the negative portion of his mentzer - Arthur jones style training whatever u want to call.it was done with slooooow negative

thats why dorian use to say one body part once a week and thats it! that was the main reason.

classic dorian - never throw wright around either part of the lift. explosive concetric , slow ecentric.

ecentric part / stretch phase was controlled.

also u have to be careful injury wise cos you are stronger on ecentric compare to concentric. u can lower more on bemch then u can push.

back in the day we had this special negative set. i still do but like once in six months. very rarely. whrn u get two people to help u lift the load on the concentric / positive and u then lower it by yourself slowly after a very thorough warm up sets like a good 3-4 sets.

do them but dont get carried away

as a starter i would advice

pick one multi joint exe and do it just 2 final sets every other week and see your bench improve in 4 weeks. this is pretty safe . dont do every week. u are not sweet sixteeen and cns can take a beating.

if you find common cns fatigue signs appear like irritability, inability to sleep, loss of appetite BACK OFF !

if you can get 2 spotter try the set i wrote above. u will be sore like a virgin lifter next day i am telling u lol but be safe.

I love slow ecentric sets infact me and my training partner did as final set on decline bench yesteday. 100-120 pounds feels like a ton in the end and the wt is less so injury chances are reduced significantly.

Last edited:
It is my personal belief that dorians injuries were more to do with ecentric training and not so much with 1 full blown set business. i mean lets face it. he was not dumb that he did not warm up was he ? he always did sets leading up to the main set and he also did like stationary like to bring body temp up. he was decent warmed up. he never threw weights like Juan Moreal for example.

i mean the whole mentzer 1 set only thing was a propaganda anyway to sell his shit. he did sets leading upto it.

Now here is the problem because dorian was so meticulous and stickler for the form he would train controlled negatives all the time. so a lot of stress on the body. even he said himnself in interviews like i never needed a coach for diet but may be i could have saved my injuries if i backed down a bit especially pre contest.

I could do a lot of slow negative in my 20s . its fun cos u fighting the weight and not letting it crush u no fucking chance doing tjat much negative work now in my late 30s

Doing slow controlled negatives ALL THE TIME were the main culprit in injuries which hampered Dorian's carrer imo.

Last edited:
A couple problems with this. First, it is a tiny sample group, 12 people, so the margin of error is huge. This is more like a science fair project than a scientific study. Second, the study doesn't say anything about "negatives." In fact, they didn't even do any negatives. They only changed the tempo of the eccentric contraction to 3 seconds. So, the conclusion is essentially that increased time under tension of the eccentric contraction creates more hypertrophy. We know that already. It's called time under tension. And that actually has been studied scientifically.

A couple problems with this. First, it is a tiny sample group, 12 people, so the margin of error is huge. This is more like a science fair project than a scientific study. Second, the study doesn't say anything about "negatives." In fact, they didn't even do any negatives. They only changed the tempo of the eccentric contraction to 3 seconds. So, the conclusion is essentially that increased time under tension of the eccentric contraction creates more hypertrophy. We know that already. It's called time under tension. And that actually has been studied scientifically.

I think nothuman mistakenly called it negatives but the study and article doesn't reference negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner