over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study on Back and Front Squats taken from PubMed

For those that "don't already know," you can go read Starting Strength by Rippetoe or go to starting strength wiki website and learn just about all you need to know about squats . . . these medical studies are nice but you'll learn more useful info from a guy like Rippetoe.

I see very few people ever squat at my gym and those that do, do it so badly it's scary. Even for guys that think they are intermediate lifters, they will learn a lot about squats from Rippetoe.

Just thought I'd post this for those that aren't familiar and want more relevant info.

BUT I PREFER BACK SQUATS.........GOING LIGHTER AND VARIOUS DEPTH CAN FOND YOUR SWEET SPOT WHERE IT NEVER HURTS. I TOTALLY BELIEVE FRONT SQUATS COME NO WHERE NEAR THE OVERALL DEVELOPMENT THAT BACK SQUATS GIVE YOU. NO WHERE DOES IT TELLS ME I HAVE TO GO ALL THE WAY DOWN AND BOUNCE AT THE BOTTOM......THATS A NO BRAINER.

You're right Phil, ya definitely get a much greater testosterone rush from back squats and it only makes sense that this will spill over to other parts of the body and stimulate growth everywhere. When I do do them I always try to emulate this guy in the OTS vid right around the 4 minute mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5CxkBior1k

Last edited:
Front Squats are a nice way to have a speed day or a medium intensity day between Back Squat days.

i do low weight high reps for front squats and every time my teardrops get swole like nobodies business. thats just me tho

see, I have no need to work on the teardrop, I need to get my thighs back up to where they used to be when I was powerlifting. I think the cardio I am doing is taking all that away from me though.

see, I have no need to work on the teardrop, I need to get my thighs back up to where they used to be when I was powerlifting. I think the cardio I am doing is taking all that away from me though.

yuo make a good point - "...thighs back up to where they used to be when I was powerlifting." My guess is powerlifting again now would do it.

yuo make a good point - "...thighs back up to where they used to be when I was powerlifting." My guess is powerlifting again now would do it.

not with these knees bro!

I herniated a disc in my back so ANY squat now is only done after pre ex with extentions and leg press. I seem to feel back squats more but it could just be that fronts are a VERY awkward exercise for me. I have to do them on a rack to really feel them

I herniated a disc in my back so ANY squat now is only done after pre ex with extentions and leg press. I seem to feel back squats more but it could just be that fronts are a VERY awkward exercise for me. I have to do them on a rack to really feel them

I'm with you on this. I think there is also way more spinal compression and torque with rear sqauts. They really bother my back.

My chiro is always telling me not to go parallel on squats (as he's often adjusting my right hip), just before that is good enough. It hard not to go deep for me as thats just comfortable for me, stopping just shy of parallel feels odd and throws me off.

I WOULD DO IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND......PRE EXHAUST WITH THE ISOLATION THEN GO TO THE COMPOUND

Phil...is that generally true for most exercises? Isolation before compound?

I started doing squats (front) a few wks ago, and I've gotten used to them.. My legs aren't crazy sore for days later anymore.. Anyways, I'm not sure if it was the way I was doing them last time - but my wrists were sore at the end of the exercise, and by the time I got to my last set it was bothering me..

They weren't sore afterwards or anything, the pain was just right there on the spot.. I don't think I was holding the bar differently, but I didn't get this pain the other times I've done them..

Does this happen to anyone else? Was I doing something wrong?

Front squats are just too damn awkward, holding that heavyass weight on top of my delts like that... the day every serious gym picks up a front squat harness would be a good one.

Attachments

• front-harness-of-death-400.jpg
    front-harness-of-death-400.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 938
Front squats are just too damn awkward, holding that heavyass weight on top of my delts like that... the day every serious gym picks up a front squat harness would be a good one.

Isn't that a Frank Zane LegBlaster?

:)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner