advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: Strength training with high reps great for building muscle mass, not strength

I wish they went more in detail to the training like how many sets they did and rest in between sets, rep speed, etc.

Building strength is good for building muscle mass. I've never known anyone who could bench 3 plates for their working sets and had a small chest.

Building strength is good for building muscle mass. I've never known anyone who could bench 3 plates for their working sets and had a small chest.

You've never seen some "dad" come into the gym and able to get 315 and you'd never guess he lifted in his life? It's called GMS, grown man strength.

I've seen it plenty.

You've never seen some "dad" come into the gym and able to get 315 and you'd never guess he lifted in his life? It's called GMS, grown man strength.

I've seen it plenty.

True, but up that to 405 for reps and youll probably have a dude with a big chest. Heavy weigh + reps =big. I am talking about progression though. Start at 225 and work for years and end up at 405 and that guy probably got a good amount of mass if diet was dialed in.

I still believe that the guy who gains the most strength for reps, all other things in place, will gain the most size.

Good benchers usually have good tris and shoulders. Chest? Not always.

I've seen it plenty.

Like my neighbor across the street. He lifts some in his basement but not really serious. He had me spot him one night and he did 405 rather easy. Never would know it looking at him. I think he weighs about 240 lbs. Not bad considering how much effort he puts into lifting.

I am into athletics. I wonder if high reps with focus on max speed on each rep would be helpful

I am into athletics. I wonder if high reps with focus on max speed on each rep would be helpful

Make a video and post it. Do barbell curls, just the bar, as fast as you can. Promise us you'll post it here. :p

This thread a little bit reminds me of some things I saw at the gym this weekend, which I hardly ever go, I have plenty at home. Anyway, I saw quite a few people who were "just moving weight". Particularly a group of teenagers who were benching. Kids just don't seem to have this mind muscle link. They don't appear to be trying to target a muscle. I was doing the Hammer Strength incline bench, with moderate weight, but very controlled reps, feeling the negative and positive. Those poor kids weren't feeling anything. IDK? I'm just talking out loud.
Somewhere in the middle of progressive resistance and feeling the weight/muscle, seems to me, is where the bb finds his niche. I'm far from being a really strong guy, I'm not blessed with genetics for either. I have a pretty decent chest. I could probably get 10-12 reps with 275, moving the weight fairly rapidly, not trying to feel anything. Or, I could do 225 slow, controlled, squeezing for 10 reps. I think I get a lot more out of the 225. That's just my opinion.

There are a few variables but strength is numero uno.
We have to stop comparison with other individuals.

We all know some skinny cock strong mother f'er that can bench double body weight.

BUT YOU as an individual will be bigger and a better bodybuilder if over time you get stronger.

Take that bench from 225x10 to 315x10 and you will be bigger... same with every other exercise.

And yes, you guys are right in that flat bench is not the optimal exercise for most people to grow their chest. It IS with some tweaks, but there are other exercises as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members