advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Substitute Brown Rice for Oatmeal in daily meals?

builtbydezign

Registered
I receive a few compliments in the gym yesterday but one of my trainer friends asked me what I was eating. I explained to him my diet which basically consits of 3-5 meals of lean bison, asparagus and brown rice. He advised me that if I removed the brown rice and replace it with a serving of oatmeal and I would loose the remaining water I have in my stomach and my abs would pop. I haven't tried this today but I didnt know that brown rice retains water?

All this time I have been eating brown rice with most of my meals. This is the first year I am dieting down.

I am 175lbs @ 5'6" 30yrs of age, training 6 years or so.

Quick meal break down:

7am: 40g Protizyme Shake
8am: 5 Egg Whites with Turkey
12pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus & Brown Rice
330pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus & Brown Rice
530pm: 40g Protizyme Shake w/ Creatine + Hemovol (L-Arginine)
630pm: Train
8pm: 40g Protizyme Shake
9pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus NO carbs

I slack on my cardio but I do abs three times a week, occasionally I run 2 miles at the park by my home.

Problem I have is I still have around 12-13% BF, I want to get down to 7-8%.

Thanks for any advice!

V.

I don't really have an answer for you, but I do have an interesting fact that goes to show how misleading the GI index can be.

On paper, oatmeal looks like it has a lower GI than brown rice, but this is only because the carbs in oatmeal come with protein and fat. The carb itself in oatmeal is actually very high GI. If you take brown rice, and add in a protein and fat, you will get a much lower overall GI.

I don't really have an answer for you, but I do have an interesting fact that goes to show how misleading the GI index can be.

On paper, oatmeal looks like it has a lower GI than brown rice, but this is only because the carbs in oatmeal come with protein and fat. The carb itself in oatmeal is actually very high GI. If you take brown rice, and add in a protein and fat, you will get a much lower overall GI.

Go for it bro..and let us know the results. What's it going to hurt?

Best carb source in my opinion is

1.Yams
2.Closely by oatmeal

Try quinoa, much more nutritious than oatmeal and rice, has the highest amino acid profile of all grains and as Kaladryn stated add fats and protein to your Carb sources to aid in GI release.

Best to rotate grains during weekly meal planning, this way you get the nutritious benefits of your grains.

Also a side note, I've recently cut rice from my diet due to being allergic to it, I had the same issue on bloat, not knowing this was one of many food allergies, I posted a thread on this ,on alot of the foods I've ate religiously that I'm now Just finding out I'm allergic to.

In the two days since finding this out, not only do I feel better, I feel much tighter, something I would suggest to anyone, see if your allergic to the foods you eat.

Last edited:
It is an individual thing. I am better on rice and protein, then oats and protein. I like both and I can handle both, but rice works. At the end of day, it is all glucose anyway;) Whether you utilize or not, well that is up to your body.

I have found that rice of any kind white or brown keeps my gut bloated a bit more, but when i do yams or sweets it goes away, Jay cutler said the same thing in a old MD mag i picked up few days ago

Good thread, i know alot of guys eat alot of fruit but I still go with the old school carbs for the most part....

Brown rice
Oatmeal
Sweet Potato

Wondering if you guys think any of them are superior/inferior?

I typically start my day with oatmeal, then in my next few meals do either brown rice or sweet potato.

I think these are 3 of the best carb sources out there but would be interested in hearing if anyone thinks either the oats, rice, or sweet potato should be used a certain way in a diet.

Should a meal be all rice, or all sweet potato? Or combine them? Or maybe all rice on monday for your carbs, all sweet potato on tuesday, etc.

I've been just using sweet potato as my sole carb source for the past like 4 months and I'm the leanest I've ever been of course the diet factors that in but idk there might be something to the gi in SP's that help me stay leaner

there will be very little difference as long as the macronutrients are the same. brown rice and oat meal is like comparing apples and oranges

there will be very little difference as long as the macronutrients are the same. brown rice and oat meal is like comparing apples and oranges

he's not asking nutritional value-wise, he is wondering if it will affect appearance. Macro-wise they might be very similar but digestion affects everyone very different. Some people just can digest foods correctly and hold water, that is science.

i personally love oatmeal. It keeps me full longer but it bloats me. I grew up on rice (white and brown) and have dieted on both. Sweet potatoes are my favorite carb source but i struggle to find something to add to their flavor.

i recently have added in a good amount of fruit during the cut i am on now. i will definitely report back any changes i notice but as of right now, nothing different mirror wise or digestion wise.

I've been just using sweet potato as my sole carb source for the past like 4 months and I'm the leanest I've ever been of course the diet factors that in but idk there might be something to the gi in SP's that help me stay leaner

nice,,,i might start swapping out some of my brown rice and adding in the sweet potatoes. any suggestions where to get them at the best price? i usually see them .99/lb,,,,rarley on sale for .69/lb. seems like rice is a little bit cheaper and im on a tight budget but i def think im going to add more sweet potato and less rice into my diet

Potatoes contain Vitamin C, Natural Diuretic, thats why you hold less water on Them than say rice or Oatmeal.

Potatoes are a Legume, where rice and oatmeal are grains(Harder to digest).

Potatoes are full of vitamins and mineral, rice is not.

he's not asking nutritional value-wise, he is wondering if it will affect appearance. Macro-wise they might be very similar but digestion affects everyone very different. Some people just can digest foods correctly and hold water, that is science.

i personally love oatmeal. It keeps me full longer but it bloats me. I grew up on rice (white and brown) and have dieted on both. Sweet potatoes are my favorite carb source but i struggle to find something to add to their flavor.

i recently have added in a good amount of fruit during the cut i am on now. i will definitely report back any changes i notice but as of right now, nothing different mirror wise or digestion wise.

I know, and it won't affect appearance in the long run. Short term I agree, oatmeal bloats me more

Delayed email, just seen this and popped in and wow alot of replys thanks guys!

So I've been trying this and I feel pretty good so far. I have been keeping a more close eye on my diet, this is how I am eating now:

7am: 40g Protizyme Shake
8am: 5 Egg Whites with Turkey on Whole Wheat Toast
12pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus, 1/4 oatmeal
330pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus, no carbs
530pm: 40g Protizyme Shake w/ creatine + Hemovol (L-Arginine)
630pm: Train
8pm: 40g Protizyme Shake
9pm: 2 bison burgers with Asparagus NO carbs

I just added the whole wheat toast at 8am (1 slice), lowered the carbs by 50% for 12pm mean and removed carbs at 330pm meal

I tried this for a few days, felt pretty good.

Past 2 training days I removed carbs from my 12pm meal and added some carbs 45 mins before training, either a slice of whole wheat or a slice of New Park Pizza (I know its BAD, however...)...In 3 days I am up 4 lbs and look alot better, fuller and cut. I am at arounf 8% now I have been told so well see how this goes.

BTW I am currently on the following:

60mg Turinabol ED (split up 3 times throughout the day)
100mg Tren A (Mon, Wed, Fri)
100mg Primo (Mon, Wed, Fri)
200mg Test C (Mon, Wed Fri)

Been on 7 Weeks, running until end of August first week of Sept. All auth. Sciroxx products, switching to BD or UG this week.

When dieting, nobody here likes asspargas and or broccoli as there carb source?

Do feel that this would make a you flat and not tight?

Chip

I love asparagus, thats why its in my every meal. I was told it would assit in cutting. But, without SOME carbs, I would be flat, so I have to have a "real" carb somewhere in there.

For the sweet pots,try Molly mcbutter. Awesome and calorie free I believe

Sent from my Eris ADR6200 using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear