over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Suggestions for home gym equipment source

DrBeefcake777

Banned
As much as I love going to the gym, I’m working farther and farther from home lately and it’s cutting into my gym time w a near 1 hour commute 1 way.

Anyone know what place online has the best deals on benches, racks, Riga, etc?

I can’t help but fantasize about how much better my workouts would be if I could wake up and walk to the garage and start putting in work.

Thanks.

Maybe try craigslist...people may have equipment that they're trying to get rid of.
Take care.
MS

By chance, if you're close to Houston I have a ton of equipment in storage from a gym I closed that I'm trying to unload.

Craigslist and FB Marketplace. My entire home gym was purchased that way. If you're patient you can get some unbelievable deals.

Agree about buying used from craigslist or similar markets if wanting a home gym. I keep some powerblocks (good adjustable DB's) at my house that can go up to 130lbs each. And a door frame chin up attachment and a handful of other things that can pretty easily be stashed away if needed but are good enough to at least stay in shape/possibly build some muscle for times I can't make the gym. So instead of a true home gym I just have a closets worth of stuff out that turns my guest room into a mini-gym for anytime I just can't make the gym for whatever reason. So if it's just for temporary need and not constantly a problem to make the gym that's an idea...

I bought my equipment from here, http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

The prices are good and quality is darn good for the price you pay. Had it now for about 15 years and it's good as new.

Buy your weights local though, seems more affordable that way because shipping costs are high with the weight.

By chance, if you're close to Houston I have a ton of equipment in storage from a gym I closed that I'm trying to unload.
I’m somewhat close-ish. DFW area. Idk if I’d be able to come down, but if the deal was too good I may be tempted.

I bought my equipment from here, http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

The prices are good and quality is darn good for the price you pay. Had it now for about 15 years and it's good as new.

Buy your weights local though, seems more affordable that way because shipping costs are high with the weight.
I was thinking of staying local, but if I find a good deal and shipping is only $100-150 for quality I may order just to get better equipment at the same price.

Ive got this wet dream of waking up and going straight to the garage to bench and squat and I can’t resist much longer.

CL and patience...

Titan makes nice equipment as well for cheap, especially racks -T3 is more than sufficient. I sourced my squat rack from them (think Rogue quality, not as nice of looking end product). Everything else from CL.

Another vote for craigslist but I’ll toss in my personal experience with turning my basement into a pretty much full gym....

It makes you lazy...

You don’t get nearly the workout in that you should even with all the equipment, the same weight same reps and same sets it’s just not the same workout. You have to separate gym and home, but that’s just me I had the same issue with work and home I had to separate the two.

My basement full gym is pretty much just a dust magnet at this point...

Depending on your age, this can happen real easy. Im only 50, but my low back is really sore all the time now and I cant do a lot of free weight exercises without bad pain afterwards. So now I don't lift at home at all. All of my stuff literally has a layer of dust on it now. I got a gym membership since they have so many machines I can use to work around all my sore joints. SHoulders is a another issue for me.

As much as I love going to the gym, I’m working farther and farther from home lately and it’s cutting into my gym time w a near 1 hour commute 1 way.

I can’t help but fantasize about how much better my workouts would be if I could wake up and walk to the garage and start putting in work.

Thanks.
I found a company called Dumbbell Connect. This guy makes hooks so you can lift two pair of dumbbells at the same time, so you don’t have to buy more and more dumbbells. They work great. If you have, for instance, dumbbells that go up to 50’s, you can connect ea. 50 to a 45 and make it as if you have 95 pound dumbbells. It’s a lot cheaper than buying all those increments from 50 +. Big money saver.

Another vote for craigslist but I’ll toss in my personal experience with turning my basement into a pretty much full gym....

It makes you lazy...

You don’t get nearly the workout in that you should even with all the equipment, the same weight same reps and same sets it’s just not the same workout. You have to separate gym and home, but that’s just me I had the same issue with work and home I had to separate the two.

This is what I'm concerned about. I haven't gone to the gym in over 6 months for a few reasons. Mainly because I had an educational event for which needed exhaustive preparation and I was working all the time. Something had to suffer, and it was my body.

It's my fear that I will never use the equipment if it's just sitting steps away in my basement.

I live in a small town...there are 2 gyms and they are both total shit boxes crawling with douchebags, retards and dickheads who love nothing more than arriving at the gym en masse, attaching themselves to every free piece of equipment for their between-sets bullshit carpet-bombing, and effectively ruin my workout. OR, worse, they'll try to put me on the stand and try to interrogate me about the trivialities of my daily life. I guess it doesn't dawn on them that I never ask them anything going on in their lives. Not to mention, I don't even have the Facebook, so they should be clued in by that little factoid.

Back on point..I have looked into a couple of Powertec and Body Solid units on CL. What do you guys think about these? There's other stuff I want (adjustable dumbbells...squat bar...squat rack...TreadClimber), but I think this might be a good place to start. Suggestions?

Thanks.

BB.com has forum called Workout Equipment that’s your largest resource for information.

You need a bench, half-rack / power rack / squat stands, don’t cheap on this part. I good bar. Depending on your needs 500 lbs of weights for starters. I just picked up the Ironmaster Super Bench PRO – best purchase ever made never thought I would like it. Good overall multi-purpose bench I recommend but it must be the PRO newly designed model and they give 30 days with free return shipping if you don’t like it.

Used is usually the best bang for the buck. Look for businesses near you within driving distance that buy commercial gym equipment and resell to the public best bet for steel plates $ .50 -.85 /lb haul yourself. You can find benches and poweracks there they will be commercial grade. You may have a good Craigslist market around you, I don’t believe in waiting for something to come along usually I regret that; unless it’s a luxury item like rear delt machine which you don’t need; the must haves are must halves find them now.

New – Titan Fitness is the current fad for decent residential equipment. Power racks are solid. Everything else has good and bad points read BB.com for reviews. Rogue is USA made and you will pay dearly for it, not my thing but some guys treat their home gym like a fine art collection and need that high.

NYBB has a range of reviews from - for the money i paid it does what i need, all the way to - worst crap ever. I have had good and no so good experience with them.

This is what I'm concerned about. I haven't gone to the gym in over 6 months for a few reasons. Mainly because I had an educational event for which needed exhaustive preparation and I was working all the time. Something had to suffer, and it was my body.

It's my fear that I will never use the equipment if it's just sitting steps away in my basement.

I live in a small town...there are 2 gyms and they are both total shit boxes crawling with douchebags, retards and dickheads who love nothing more than arriving at the gym en masse, attaching themselves to every free piece of equipment for their between-sets bullshit carpet-bombing, and effectively ruin my workout. OR, worse, they'll try to put me on the stand and try to interrogate me about the trivialities of my daily life. I guess it doesn't dawn on them that I never ask them anything going on in their lives. Not to mention, I don't even have the Facebook, so they should be clued in by that little factoid.

Back on point..I have looked into a couple of Powertec and Body Solid units on CL. What do you guys think about these? There's other stuff I want (adjustable dumbbells...squat bar...squat rack...TreadClimber), but I think this might be a good place to start. Suggestions?

As some others have said this is a double-edge sward. Awesome to work out whenever you want, whatever music you want, etc etc. You can get lazy because instead of getting up at 3am to get the commercial gym at 4am you start sleeping in because you know you can now workout anytime during the day or evening. Unless you are accountable to yourself that can snowball into endless excuses and missed workouts.

Working out at home can cause you to lose drive due to not being in a commercial setting with endless equipment available.

Working out at home may allow you to work harder if you have the place set-up in a way that you can use efficiently. This usually means more equipment and more cash outlay. Limited equipment means compromising and compromising can cause you to lose drive and motivation. But it still may be better than dealing with the d$ck-heads at the local gym.

Determine your needs is this a full-time gig or something to be used as a fill-in 2-3 days /week when you know your local gym will be busy. This will determine the quantity and quality of products you need.

BB.com has forum called Workout Equipment that’s your largest resource for information.

The big thing is getting accustomed to lack of equipment. Ask yourself – of all the equipment at the commercial gym how much if it do you actually use? Look at the equipment you use and focus on incorporating just that into the home gym. There are workarounds for some movements - Its easy to create a dip machine by laying two pieces of 4x4 treated lumber across the power rack safety bars and doing dips you can change the angle of the wood in or out in a v pattern move them closer or wider and run rubber bands under your bent knees and up over the top of the rack for assistance. No need to buy every piece of equipment a commercial gym has.

You need a bench, half-rack / power rack / squat stands, don’t cheap on this part. A good bar. Depending on your needs 500 lbs of weights for starters. Ironmaster Super Bench PRO i highly recommend.

Used is usually the best bang for the buck. Look for businesses near you within driving distance that buy commercial gym equipment and resell to the public best bet for steel plates $ .50 -.85 /lb haul yourself. You can find benches and poweracks there they will be commercial grade. You may have a good Craigslist market around you, I don’t believe in waiting for something to come along usually I regret that; unless it’s a luxury item like rear delt machine which you don’t need; the must haves are must halves find them now.

New – Titan Fitness is the current fad for decent residential equipment. Power racks are solid. Everything else has good and bad points read BB.com for reviews. Rogue is USA made and you will pay dearly for it, not my thing but some guys treat their home gym like a fine art collection and need that high.

Cardio will be one of the largest cash outlays if you need cardio. Sometimes I have also had a cheap gym membership just to use the cardio and did my lifting at home having a variety of cardio was usually worth the monthly cost and then on some days I would use the selector pin weight machines to do isolation exercises to give my body a break from the compound free-weight movements at home; most of the gym d$ckheads don’t hang out in the selector machine area so you can avoid them that way.

A home gym is never finished you’ll constantly want to be making improvements.

Powertec – you mean one of the multi-function gyms? Powertec makes good equipment period. But you need a power rack/half rack to start with. If you see a powertec power-rack for a good price go for it. If it’s a multi-function gym? Do not do it. You are limited in the movements you can do with it and any muscle group you can work on that you can work with free weights and then 10x more. You will be bored with it in a month and it will sit collecting dust and you will be paying others to come take it away. Waste of money. Unless you already have a power-rack and free weights and you had another $500 to p$ss away on a novelty item and have the real estate to spare then grab it if its a good deal but you wont use it much. A multigym should NEVER be the centerpiece of a home gym. Body Solid is a well respected piece of equipment its considered light-commercial but dont buy new you are overpaying go used. Anything used callled Para-Body also was well respected before they went out of business. Again stay way from their multi-function gym piece.

I found a company called Dumbbell Connect. This guy makes hooks so you can lift two pair of dumbbells at the same time, so you don’t have to buy more and more dumbbells. They work great. If you have, for instance, dumbbells that go up to 50’s, you can connect ea. 50 to a 45 and make it as if you have 95 pound dumbbells. It’s a lot cheaper than buying all those increments from 50 +. Big money saver.
I took a look at these, and they look like a great idea, and a cool invention, but how could one possibly handle say 2 -75# dbs, getting them into place to lift- for say incline db press -flat press etc. the initial loading would be absolutely impossible. I saw a video where someone had a rack installed for them to hang on, but now your talking about getting custom made racks and welding just to be able to utilize the product with the larger sizes. seems like it would be just the same cost as getting bigger ones. not to say, someone who doesn't need the very large dumbells couldn't benefit, but I see a limitation to them for some people around here

As some others have said this is a double-edge sward. Awesome to work out whenever you want, whatever music you want, etc etc. You can get lazy because instead of getting up at 3am to get the commercial gym at 4am you start sleeping in because you know you can now workout anytime during the day or evening. Unless you are accountable to yourself that can snowball into endless excuses and missed workouts.

Working out at home can cause you to lose drive due to not being in a commercial setting with endless equipment available.

Working out at home may allow you to work harder if you have the place set-up in a way that you can use efficiently. This usually means more equipment and more cash outlay. Limited equipment means compromising and compromising can cause you to lose drive and motivation. But it still may be better than dealing with the d$ck-heads at the local gym.

Determine your needs is this a full-time gig or something to be used as a fill-in 2-3 days /week when you know your local gym will be busy. This will determine the quantity and quality of products you need.

The big thing is getting accustomed to lack of equipment. Ask yourself – of all the equipment at the commercial gym how much if it do you actually use? Look at the equipment you use and focus on incorporating just that into the home gym. There are workarounds for some movements - Its easy to create a dip machine by laying two pieces of 4x4 treated lumber across the power rack safety bars and doing dips you can change the angle of the wood in or out in a v pattern move them closer or wider and run rubber bands under your bent knees and up over the top of the rack for assistance. No need to buy every piece of equipment a commercial gym has.

You need a bench, half-rack / power rack / squat stands, don’t cheap on this part. A good bar. Depending on your needs 500 lbs of weights for starters. Ironmaster Super Bench PRO i highly recommend.

Cardio will be one of the largest cash outlays if you need cardio. Sometimes I have also had a cheap gym membership just to use the cardio and did my lifting at home having a variety of cardio was usually worth the monthly cost and then on some days I would use the selector pin weight machines to do isolation exercises to give my body a break from the compound free-weight movements at home; most of the gym d$ckheads don’t hang out in the selector machine area so you can avoid them that way.

A home gym is never finished you’ll constantly want to be making improvements.

Powertec – you mean one of the multi-function gyms? Powertec makes good equipment period. But you need a power rack/half rack to start with. If you see a powertec power-rack for a good price go for it. If it’s a multi-function gym? Do not do it. You are limited in the movements you can do with it and any muscle group you can work on that you can work with free weights and then 10x more. You will be bored with it in a month and it will sit collecting dust and you will be paying others to come take it away. Waste of money. Unless you already have a power-rack and free weights and you had another $500 to p$ss away on a novelty item and have the real estate to spare then grab it if its a good deal but you wont use it much. A multigym should NEVER be the centerpiece of a home gym. Body Solid is a well respected piece of equipment its considered light-commercial but dont buy new you are overpaying go used. Anything used callled Para-Body also was well respected before they went out of business. Again stay way from their multi-function gym piece.

Thanks for that detailed reply. It's truly appreciated. Yeah, I was referring to the multi function set up on the Powertec. My best bet will probably be to get a half rack, straight bar, squat bar, adjustable bench and adjustable dumbbells...then I would have to buy the weights. Even with all that, I'd still have to go to the gym a day or two a week for the stuff I can't do at home. I'd be lucky to get out under $2000.

A large part of my issue is my work schedule...I work 12.5 hours a day and 8 days in a row every two weeks, with a 30 minute commute both ways. I get 6 days off in a row, but only working out on my days off is no good. I'll have to figure out something.

Thanks.
IMO, hands down Rogue has some of the most solid and best equipment around! It will last forever! They also have nice rigs that fit in garage and fold etc. Chrck then out.

Got a buddy up your way (Burleson) who sells a lot so if you're looking for something in particular I can point you his way....

I'm in illinois.. I have a few commercial pieces I'm selling cheap also.. plate loaded fully adjust rom .. adjust grips.. made by Strength inc. And a Atlantis side lateral machine.. not sure what your looking for but pm if you want pictures

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws