YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Suggestions needed after a four year layoff..

Justin Case

Newbies
Hey Folks, I first want to say hello again as I have been away from the scene completely for almost four years now. Before I left, PM had become my home forum after other forums that I was also part of for over ten years died off or died down. Much respect to Big A, the mods, and the regulars for keeping these forums at the top of the heap for so many years...

Long story short, after working out for nearly 25 years straight (shit, was it that long..:)) I was in a major car accident four years ago and severely injured my lower back. It took over three months to get back on my feet and to start walking again after the surgeries. I didn't know if I'd ever walk normally again, and I didn't think I'd ever lift regularly again. Depression set in, but I kept plugging away at it. With the help of a great physical therapist, after over three years I was 90 percent back to normal. A miracle that I thought would never happen back at the time of the accident.

Finally a surgeon at the mayo clinic in Jacksonville offered me a new procedure earlier this year that had the potential to correct the last of the pain I was having in my lower back, and I jumped at it. The surgery worked perfectly, and I was in disbelief that I was finally back to normal, when four years ago I just wanted to lay down and give up..

So now I log into the boards for the first time since early 2010, and I need your advise please. I've been away for so long from the lifting/supplementing scene that it feels like forever. I have a clean bill of health to start in the gym again pushing iron, but at 49 years old I'm lost on where to start. I do stretches every day, and I am presently walking for 1/2 hour every afternoon, but that's all so far. I'm not really sure how to start lifting again. I know I can't do my old routines for a long time, and I don't know if I should start with light weights, high reps, more sets, or more weight, low reps, few sets. I'm not even sure if I should hit the gym yet or start with a conditioning routine (pushups, pullups, etc, etc.) for a month or two before I even go back to the gym. I just don't know how my body will react after four years off, and now that I'm 49.

If any of you guys or gals have any advise for me I'd greatly appreciate it and glady accept any suggestions that you have to offer. I need to put a training diet together, so any info in that regard will be helpful as well. I'm not sure if I should do this alone, or hire one of the great trainers here to help me get started again. Thinking about getting back into the gym, I feel like a starving man looking at a buffet, but I know that I need to walk before I can run again. The last thing that I want is to get re-injured. Thanks for taking the time to read through this, and a heartfelt thanks to anyone who can offer me some guidance and advice.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131