over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

super slow training

Drago

Registered
who use this technique ?

at 50 years old it's maybe an option for me. my shoulder and back hurt after 30 year's of lifting

I have been utilizing an 8 second rep scheme for the last 2 years and love it, I'm also very close to 50 years old and this helps train around my injuries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Professional Muscle mobile app

do you mean executing reps slowly? ie more time under tension?

i have tried it and works decent but i find it inferior for two reasons:
1)you have to use lighter weights
2)more time under tension means bigger stress on the nervous system. you have to be careful with the training frequency and how much you are burning yourself. if you go too far you may feel tired all day long wondering whats going on.

every type of training is better than no training. try it , see for youself

It’s defianatley easier on the joints. I’ve done it before and still do. Have had a sore elbow last few weeks and have been doing all triceps exercises like this.

Heavier Weights give more stress on nervous système…?

To avoid aches and pains and work around injuries, I would rather use high reps with an explosive positive and a controlled negative, rather than directly lightening the load by doing reps super slow.

I doubt super slow reps' efficacy for building muscle, while high reps, if done to failure, should provide an equal growth stimulus as lower reps done to failure. Science confirms this. I've yet to see science advocating super slow reps on the other hand.

super slow makes no sense.
u need to use light weights, just do more reps, or more reps faster.
no scientifically proven studies validate slow reps. at all.
in fact, volume is key. reps.
tut, super slow, not drivers of muscle growth.

About 5 yrs ago my trainer had made me just such a workout and I was fighting about it big time. We finally compromised at that I agreed to do it on the last set of each exercise. In truth it did push me out of my comfort zone, made for a great pump and I do think is beneficial to switch things up now and then. Id suggest giving it a try at least for a small period of time.

Been doing this for a few months now after I read an article about time under tension. I like it.

To avoid aches and pains and work around injuries, I would rather use high reps with an explosive positive and a controlled negative, rather than directly lightening the load by doing reps super slow.

I doubt super slow reps' efficacy for building muscle, while high reps, if done to failure, should provide an equal growth stimulus as lower reps done to failure. Science confirms this. I've yet to see science advocating super slow reps on the other hand.

I agree. That is what I do when I hurt myself. I think that is going to be more effective than super slow reps. You can still go real slow on the negative though and use heavy weight since the negative part of the movement is much stronger. Going slow in the concentric part, positive part, is going to cause you to go too light and I fear it wont stimulate any growth much.

Going light weight for high reps still builds some and give the joints a rest.

super slow makes no sense.
u need to use light weights, just do more reps, or more reps faster.
no scientifically proven studies validate slow reps. at all.
in fact, volume is key. reps.
tut, super slow, not drivers of muscle growth.

Well, there is something to time under tension, don't brush it off totally. I do think that if you go too slow in the motion it is very similar to doing isometic contractions. I haven't seen many studies showing isometrics being very effective. I did have someone recommend what he called Russian Rachets to me. That is going real slow in the bench press and pausing at different points of the movement and holding it there. Hold at 3/4 down, 1/2 down, and at bottom. Then come back up and repeat. I forget how long he had me hold it. It is done to help rehab rotator cuff injuries. It seemed to help me some. I did that for a few weeks. It is grueling. Cant handle much weight at all.

Last edited:
Time under tension. More a necessity now after multiple shoulder surgeries last year. It's kicking my ass so far. I should have been incorporating this into my training a long time ago

I typically try to complete each rep I do with a roughly 3count negative and exploding up besides maybe deadlifts and barbell rows. For myself I find I can feel the muscles working a lot better and even when performing heavier lifts it allows me to load the muscle more effectively if that makes any sense allowing me to lift more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity