over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Supplementing in the 1960's and 1970's

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Although the business was not as huge back then as it is now I was reading some information on Reo Blair and an article came up on how people were recommended to take his supplement line -

It kinda amazes me in a way that the diets back then were so much more "wholesome" and natural and what we have gotten away from -people at the time still thought supplements were magic and would buy them by the fist full in an effort to gain an advantage.

One of his products - amino acid tablets mentioned below at one time were $600 for 1000 tablets!

RHEO H. BLAIR: Rheo Blair Supplements: Nathan's Notes On Rheo Blair's Secrets

Vitamin A: 67,500 IU- I was taking one A+D capsule, but most of this, and the D, came from 30 Cod liver oil capsules/day.

Vitamin D: 4,800 IU- Also mostly from the CLO, but also included in this amount is what was in the Calcium capsules.

Vitamin E: 1,200 IU- Mixed tocopherols: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta

Vitamin B-1: 120 mg
Vitamin B-2: 120 mg.

Vitamin B-3: 600 mg. ( B-3 is Niacin, for anyone unaware)

Vitamin B-5: 240 mg. (B-5 is Pantothenic Acid)

Vitamin B-6: 1,300 mg.-B-6 is essential to protein utilization, part of this B-6 was in the digestants

Vitamin B-12: 12,400 mcg.- this is an enormous amount, but B-12 is only assimilated as a fairly small percentage of intake
PABA: 120 mg. (ParaAminoBenzoicAcid)

Folic Acid: 1600 mcg.

Choline: 5000 mg. (part of this was from the lecithin capsules mentioned below)

Inositol: 3500 mg
Biotin: 140 mcg.

Vitamin C: 6700 mg.- This was from the C-BioPlus product, plus some ascorbic acid tablets

Citrus Bioflavanoids: 3000 mg.

Rutin: 500 mg.

Magnesium: 120 mg., as magnesium aspartate

Calcium: 1800 mg. as citrate, lactate, gluconate, and carbonate combination

Zinc: 150 mg.- I did not record what form this was in.
Copper 500 mcg

Manganese: 30 mg.

Iodine: 9 x RDA on ALTERNATE days. This was as Iocen, a liquid dulse product.

Phosphorus: 1160 mg. - this was in the calcium and or protein products.

Trace minerals: 25 mg

Betaine HCL: 3470 mg.

Glutamic Acid HCL: 1860 mg.- contained in the digestant tablets (4-7 of the tablets use per feeding)

Pepsin: 1000 mg.- contained in the digestant tablets (pepsin is a 2nd stage digestant)

Protein: 120 grams of protein from the protein powder, exclusive of the protein found in the milk and eggs used to make the
 protein drink, and exclusive of any found in food or the liver tablet. Note the 120 grams is the protein only, not the total 
weight of the powder used, which was about one cup by volume. I could have used more, as well, but Blair wanted me to
use at least this much.

Liver Extract: 60 per day. These would have contained iron and B-12, but perhaps more importantly, the intrinsic factors found
 in liver, which are known to increase endurance.

Soybro: 30 per day. The defatted tri-germ oil product. This would have naturally contained tocotrienols, octacosanol, and 
other plant sterols.

Crude Wheat Germ Fractions: 30 per day- A defatted whest germ oil product, high in octacosanol, the same as 10 minim 
Prometol. Optionally, you could take 60 Soybro per day, and not this product

Lecithin: At one time, he had me taking 45- 1200 mg. regular lecithin capsules per day. When the later, smaller high potency 
lecithin p-c came out, he recommended up to 30-400mg. capsules of that type.
Amino Acids: 15 capsules per day

L-Glutamine: 6 grams per day, as 12-500mg. capsules.

Blair's Free Form Amino Acid Capsules: "As many as you can afford" was his quote. For someone who had unlimited
wealth, the number was 60 per day.

Digestive Enzymes: 4 to 7 per feeding, unfortunately, as previously stated, I did not record what was in these.
Softone: This was simple psyllium husk. Blair had me use 1-3 teaspoons daily, mixed in water or milk (not in with the protein
drink). This is basically a Metamucil like product to help with regularity while on this diet high in dairy products, with little 
fiber in it otherwise

Total: 250 capsules/tablets per day.

more on his protein and the "unusual" supplements if you are into history of the supplement and gym industry like I am.

RHEO H. BLAIR: What About Those Unusual Rheo Blair Supplements?

RHEO H. BLAIR: Blair's protein in context

Last edited:
Long before Met - Rx there was Metrecal. ;)

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrecal"]Metrecal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdjB0nytQR0"]Metrecal Diet Milkshake (1960s) - Classic TV Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDrvPlt7-Q"]1960s Metrecal Diet Shake - Mixing Shake in Milk Retro-Classic Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Geeze, 250 tablets/capsules per day and the water it would take to get all that down would almost leave me too full to eat any food!

Vince Gironda's list
Vince Gironda’s special protein shake

Gironda had this special protein drink which he drank daily, it included the following ingredients:

350 dl (12 oz) of half & half (50% milk and 50% cream if you don’t know what half & half means)
12 raw whole eggs
1/3 cup milk-egg protein powder
1 banana

He divided the drink into 3 portions and drank it in the morning, day, and evening.

Vince Gironda’s Morning Supplementation Formula
Gironda was also known for his special supplement formula. Here’s what he took every morning:

1 multivitamin tablet
3 vitamin A tablets
3 vitamin D tablets
1 tablet of vitamin B complex
3 halibut liver oil capsules
1 vitamin B-15 tablet
1 vitamin C complex tablet
2 vitamin E capsules
1 zinc tablet
1 chelated mineral tablet
5 alfafa tablets
10 kelp tablets
3 digestive enzyme tablets (after meal)
3 multi-glandular tablets (nucleo glan male or female)
1 RNA/DNA tablet
3 tri-germ/wheat germ capsules

That’s a huge list of supplements, and that was only what he took in the morning, and unfortunately I can’t find the exact amounts of those supplements in mg’s either.

Lunch

1 pound hamburger or other meat
Mixed green salad or raw vegetables
1 iron tablet
4 calcium tablets
Same vitamins as breakfast with omission of tri-germ, vitamin E, wheat germ, halibut oil

Dinner

Raw vegetables with some cottage cheese
1-2 pounds of steak or roast meat
Same vitamins as breakfast with omission of tri-germ, vitamin E, wheat germ, halibut oil

Other supplements

amino acids and desiccated liver tablets for every 3 hours
5 yeast tablets with the protein drink
4 raw orchic tissue tablets taken pre and post workout
arginine, ortithine, tryptophan, calcium before bed

My father told me Bob Hoffman had a line of products out at that time

those guys were all very cutting edge for their day. i remember the first protein powders i tried in the mid 70's tasted like the bottom of a very old ash tray. and didn't mix for shit.

My father told me Bob Hoffman had a line of products out at that time

yes hoffman was weider's arch enemy and biggest competitor at the time he also had a magazine that rivaled Weider's Muscle Builder called Strength and Health. Hoffman was heavily involved in the weight lifting portion of the industry which at one time dominated the bodybuilding. Weider eventually over took him but it took him about 25 years

The supplement lines were huge back then and contained tons of variety - I even found this picture of hoffman's hi protein bread mix from 1965 the picture was from 2011 and it was unopened.

Also:
"Bob had a variety of "Hi-Proteen" foods available to Strength and Health Magazine readers. Throughout the years, you could also get Hi-Proteen Cookies... Fudge... Honey, Breakfast Food... Vegetable Broth... 10-in-1 Hi-Proteen... Hi-Proteen Reducing Formula... Standard Hi-Proteen... Multi-Purpose Hi-Proteen... Super Hi-Proteen... and Special Hi-Proteen Weight Gainer... and all of them delicious!"

Last edited:

The supplement lines were huge back then and contained tons of variety - I even found this picture of hoffman's hi protein bread mix from 1965 the picture was from 2011 and it was unopened.

Also:
"Bob had a variety of "Hi-Proteen" foods available to Strength and Health Magazine readers. Throughout the years, you could also get Hi-Proteen Cookies... Fudge... Honey, Breakfast Food... Vegetable Broth... 10-in-1 Hi-Proteen... Hi-Proteen Reducing Formula... Standard Hi-Proteen... Multi-Purpose Hi-Proteen... Super Hi-Proteen... and Special Hi-Proteen Weight Gainer... and all of them delicious!"

Sorry forgot the picture.;)

Attachments

• hi protein bread mix.jpg
    hi protein bread mix.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 542
Funny how times change and we have evolved - this LIFE magazine photo shoot was already high lighting obesity in America as a health crisis in the 1950's!

While most people were thinner and at more wholesome foods they probably negated every thing by smoking 2 packs of camels a day. ;)

The girl in this article would in no way be considered obese by today's standards in fact it's probably closer to normal and start 10 years earlier in their teens.

Obesity in the 1950s: The Early Fight Against a National Health Crisis

Last edited:
I thought Vince didn't believe in taking vitamins / supplements on a daily basis...Can't recall where I read that years ago?

Speaking of Vince.
I loved reading this book over and over again as a kid.
I thought it was the best gift my mom ever bought me at the nutrition store back then. I still have it sealed in a Ziploc to protect it. LOL

med_1182711559-unleashing-the-wild-physique.jpg

A couple of my favourite bodybuilders of all time reg park and chuck sipes seemed very basic in there approach to everything training and eating.
Most also seemed to consume raw whole milk in abundance on a daily basis.
It seems meat veg bit of carbs and milk. Some liver tabs and full body workouts.
Boom

Massive if you were transported back to th 50s now in some basic ymca gym how would you train and eat. Keep in mind that other than maybe a bit of ciba 5mg beauties there is nothing available.

The first protein I ever bought was a can of Hoffman protein. I liked it. Bought it at a little "hole-in-the-wall" health food store. Pre-GNC, pre-vitiman shoppe and all the other huge marketing BS we are subjected to today. At some point later I remember buying some Weider "weight gain" protein. That was pretty much a big can of sugar.

Last edited:
Speaking of Vince.
I thought it was the best gift my mom ever bought me at the nutrition store back then. I still have it sealed in a Ziploc to protect it. LOL

View attachment 75853

I still have this book.

Speaking of Vince.

View attachment 75853

That's a great book I had "Beef it!" and "Hardcore Bodybuilding"

That's a great book I had "Beef it!" and "Hardcore Bodybuilding"

Thanks! I just ordered "Beef It" on amazon for $0.01 and $3 shipping! LOL
I don't have this one and enjoy reading the old school books.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131