YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Supplements/diet tips for reducing cortisol?

ATP

Registered
It would be great if I didn't have any stress, or if I handled it with total equipoise, but the truth is, I get anxious a lot, and I know that this raises cortisol. I have tried meditation, yoga, and other stress-relief techniques, but I am wondering if there are any supplements, drugs and/or foods that can help. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Before trying to lower a hormone your not certain is high, test your Serum Cortisol levels first.

You can have low cortisol levels and still have anxiety issues.

You may benefit from L Theanine or 5- HTP, Try supplementing with Melatonin before bed, deep sleep has been shown to lower anxiety.

I live with extreme stress, my cortisol levels are constantly through the roof.
I tried so many OTC supplements and none of them worked. If your issue is minor, you may have some success with the cortisol blocking supps, but I had to be prescribed a legitimate drug to lower cortisol.
I take 30mg of Remeron each night. It uplifts mood too, but can make some people really groggy. If your cortisol levels are really high you will have serious issues sleeping, and the Remeron solves that.

testosterone and it's derivitives reduces cortisol. [Captain obvious] But also eating enough will also. When I diet w/o gear I become extremely nervous, tremble, cold hands and feet. Could be genetics, I'll be damned if I am ever on 'Survivor'.

High E2 levels can raise your anxiety levels, personally before I'd start blindly trying to manipulate a hormone I'd test several Neuro acting hormones before carelessly screwing up my self, but hey thats me.

I tried so many OTC supplements and none of them worked. If your issue is minor, you may have some success with the cortisol blocking supps, but I had to be prescribed a legitimate drug to lower cortisol.
I take 30mg of Remeron each night. It uplifts mood too, but can make some people really groggy. If your cortisol levels are really high you will have serious issues sleeping, and the Remeron solves that.

OMG i tried remeron for a while and the junk food cravings were unbearable. I was binge eating constantly. I had to stop. The lethargy went away pretty quickly too, although it was an amazing sleep aid when I first started using it. I think i was using 15mg actually...

Serum cortisol is pretty worthless btw. 24 hour urine cortisol is really the only test that's worthwhile and meaningful. If that is high, then you need to figure out why. If it's from stress or anxiety, maybe you would benefit from an SSRI. I have anxiety and 10mg of lexapro has helped me greatly. It has definitely reduced my cortisol. Also, I take 10g of Inositol per day. Look it up--it has some very good studies supporting its usage for people with anxiety and OCD. Relora may also help, but if you have major anxiety or stress, it won't solve the problem, I assure you. An SSRI can be a godsend for many people, just need to find the right dose to take the edge off...if you take too much, you'll feel dull to life, and that's no good either.

OMG i tried remeron for a while and the junk food cravings were unbearable. I was binge eating constantly. I had to stop. The lethargy went away pretty quickly too, although it was an amazing sleep aid when I first started using it. I think i was using 15mg actually...

haha, yes, it does make you crave sugar like no other. I have a hard time with it now and then. Its effects change dramatically with dose though, the histamine suppression happens at all doses, but it activates more norepinephrine in higher doses, which can counteract some of the sluggishness and sugar cravings.

Serum cortisol is pretty worthless btw. 24 hour urine cortisol is really the only test that's worthwhile and meaningful. If that is high, then you need to figure out why. If it's from stress or anxiety, maybe you would benefit from an SSRI. I have anxiety and 10mg of lexapro has helped me greatly. It has definitely reduced my cortisol. Also, I take 10g of Inositol per day. Look it up--it has some very good studies supporting its usage for people with anxiety and OCD. Relora may also help, but if you have major anxiety or stress, it won't solve the problem, I assure you. An SSRI can be a godsend for many people, just need to find the right dose to take the edge off...if you take too much, you'll feel dull to life, and that's no good either.

Comparisons of urinary versus serum cor - PubMed Mobile

Both are of equal value,although your correct on a 24 collection versus a one time draw, which generally is performed at 8 am you can ask to have a three time draw that will give the same accuracy.

I've had several blood,urine and salivary test done all concluded the same ranges.

haha, yes, it does make you crave sugar like no other. I have a hard time with it now and then. Its effects change dramatically with dose though, the histamine suppression happens at all doses, but it activates more norepinephrine in higher doses, which can counteract some of the sluggishness and sugar cravings.

Dude, no joke, i was pounding like 4k calories easily...i couldn't control it...that stuff was the devil!

Comparisons of urinary versus serum cor - PubMed Mobile

Both are of equal value,although your correct on a 24 collection versus a one time draw, which generally is performed at 8 am you can ask to have a three time draw that will give the same accuracy.

I've had several blood,urine and salivary test done all concluded the same ranges.

I guess...just basic common sense would tell you that a full 24hr test is most accurate. I guess serum has it's uses, and is OK when you do AM, mid-day, and PM, but urine is best if possible. Put it this way, anyone suspect of a problem with cortisol, especially cushings, would never rely on a serum test. All endos would do a 24hr cortisol as the primary screen. If you failed that, they may do a dexa supression test to rule out cushings caused by an adenoma.

Before trying to lower a hormone your not certain is high, test your Serum Cortisol levels first.

You can have low cortisol levels and still have anxiety issues.

You may benefit from L Theanine or 5- HTP, Try supplementing with Melatonin before bed, deep sleep has been shown to lower anxiety.

I didn't know there were tests for cortisol levels. I will talk to my doctor about it. I take L Theanine, and it does help, just wondering what else is out there.

I didn't know about Remeron. I'll ask my doctor about this, too. I tried SSRIs, but the side effects weren't worth it.

testosterone and it's derivitives reduces cortisol. [Captain obvious] But also eating enough will also. When I diet w/o gear I become extremely nervous, tremble, cold hands and feet. Could be genetics, I'll be damned if I am ever on 'Survivor'.
Not obvious to me! Thanks, and if we both end up on Survivor together, I promise not to vote you off the island ;)

I didn't know there were tests for cortisol levels. I will talk to my doctor about it. I take L Theanine, and it does help, just wondering what else is out there.

I didn't know about Remeron. I'll ask my doctor about this, too. I tried SSRIs, but the side effects weren't worth it.

Not obvious to me! Thanks, and if we both end up on Survivor together, I promise not to vote you off the island ;)

Which SSRIs did you try and what dose? Sometimes you need to try a few different ones and play with the dose until you get it right...

Remeron is not without side effects, trust me.

Which SSRIs did you try and what dose? Sometimes you need to try a few different ones and play with the dose until you get it right...

Remeron is not without side effects, trust me.

I tried a bunch! Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta. The side effects weren't all the same, but generally I felt nauseous, dizzy and jittery. Cymbalta worked the best... until it stopped working. I can't remember the doses, but it was all under the care of a doctor—I didn't play around on my own. I guess I should have figured that Remeron wouldn't be a walk in the park either, but I will still ask my doctor about it.

In your experience, other than the sugar cravings, what other side effects are most bothersome?

From a dietary standpoint --- I would opt for balanced meals of the following:

very lean protein + low glycemic index carb that is also packing a low glycemic load + omega-3 fish oil (preferably carlsons brand).

That way insulin is never harshly pulsed due to glycemic load (amount of grams per meal) + it wont fall to rapid from the GI being low (fiber content).

Omega-3 has been shown is several studies to be anti-catabolic.

For supplementation -

I would use a phospholipid complex -- phosephatidyl serine, phosphatidyl choline, phosphatidyl ethanolamine, and phosphatidyl inositol found in EndoAMP Max.

Even something with a 7,8 benzoflavone ingredient to increase mild sedation like effects which displays anxiolytic effects.

-FF

Last edited:
just wondering what people think about racetams for anti-stress/cortisol??

just a thought

when people for thousands of years realize a weed of simple nature is good for a multitude of ailments and no one has yet to disprove its abilitys to help heal for what ever reason.except for nancy reagon and her idiotic ideas for the war on drugs was retarded[against mj]also promote the justification forthe dea to exist.
so heres my point mj is a excelent relaxer in low doses.no afteraffect.no hangover.your liver and kidneys are not assulted by a unatueral source.anything man made is synthetic-thus detrimental and side affects.where mj doesnt have any.pure,naturel,clean.something to give thought to.

when people for thousands of years realize a weed of simple nature is good for a multitude of ailments and no one has yet to disprove its abilitys to help heal for what ever reason.except for nancy reagon and her idiotic ideas for the war on drugs was retarded[against mj]also promote the justification forthe dea to exist.
so heres my point mj is a excelent relaxer in low doses.no afteraffect.no hangover.your liver and kidneys are not assulted by a unatueral source.anything man made is synthetic-thus detrimental and side affects.where mj doesnt have any.pure,naturel,clean.something to give thought to.

Pot turns me into complete jelly. I can't do anything other than sleep, eat and have sex. Now, don't get me wrong—those are three things I love, but unfortunately they don't pay the rent.

I tried a bunch! Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta. The side effects weren't all the same, but generally I felt nauseous, dizzy and jittery. Cymbalta worked the best... until it stopped working. I can't remember the doses, but it was all under the care of a doctor—I didn't play around on my own. I guess I should have figured that Remeron wouldn't be a walk in the park either, but I will still ask my doctor about it.

In your experience, other than the sugar cravings, what other side effects are most bothersome?

Drowsiness...really bad...but it went away for me after some time. And I think you don't understand how bad the junk food cravings are...lol.

For me, the key with an SSRI is use the lowest dose possible just to take the edge off. I take 10mg of lexapro, but for a long time i only used 5mg. The nausea and dizziness shouldn't last man...did you really give it a while to get used to it? I don't know of anyone who takes an SSRI where those side effects didn't pass after a few weeks or a month or two once on a stable dose. If you have to, you lower the dose. And I didn't mean you play with the dose alone, but a good doctor (fyi there are plenty of shitty doctors...in fact, more are shitty than good) will start you with the lowest possible dose and only increase as NECESSARY.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws