advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Supplements for my 90 year young grandma?

Lene28

Registered
My grandmother is 90 and still going strong; she drinks coffee all day and eats 1-2 meals per day with the occasional snack. She is very thin. I have her start drinking an ensure and gatorade once per day but wanted some supplements for overall health and well being. I was thinking a multi, Curcumin, B vitamins, calcium (not sure how much or which kind), some type of electrolytes. Anything else y'all recommend?

If she's lived a healthy life this long without supplements. Why in the world would you think it's going to benefit her by giving her a bunch of supplements that may do more harm than good?

If she's lived a healthy life this long without supplements. Why in the world would you think it's going to benefit her by giving her a bunch of supplements that may do more harm than good?

She has been complaining of really low energy and I guess it scares me cause she doesn't eat very much. I figured drinking all the coffee could be dehydrating her. My main concern is bone strength and hydration.
She is the one who wants the supplements, as she claims she doesn't feel as "healthy" and energetic as she once did.

I am happy you commented Stewie I really respect your opinion!

Lbas? Johnny and mental were talking about their moms taking them in my thread...

She has been complaining of really low energy and I guess it scares me cause she doesn't eat very much. I figured drinking all the coffee could be dehydrating her. My main concern is bone strength and hydration.
She is the one who wants the supplements, as she claims she doesn't feel as "healthy" and energetic as she once did.

she's 90 years old...ofcourse she's not going to feel as engertic or healthy as she once did. Sounds pretty normal to me lol.

If you really are concerned about her not eating much, maybe take her to a nutrionist who knows about elderly nutrition?

I truly understand your concern. You obviously love and care for your grandmother very much.

We have to be cautious when we are dealing with the elderly when it comes to supplements, especially if they are on several Rx drugs. Age plays a very big role on how well drugs or supplements are metabolized.

Hypothetically say your grandmother is on a anticoagulation med and you give her a supplement that acts on coagulation in what ever way. Well you just set her up to either internally bleed or throw a clot. I'm certain that would tear you up.

Tread with caution and speak to her physician. Not people on a bodybuilding site. :)

put granny on on some var! j/k (the below link is interesting though)

Steroids and (pretty bad) protein shakes keep old people out of hospital

I'd just keep it simple. Adding the ensure and gatorade is probably good. Old folks don't hydrate and eat like they should sometimes. Extra liquid cals could help.

As Stewie pointed out, she made it this far. It's really all genetics anyway. Vitamins wont do much at this point! All you can really try to focus on is quality of life. Improve energy and immune function.

If she isnt already on a decent multi you could add that. Fish oil if she'll agree to take enough capsules. I'd also add Vit D3 with calcium (HUGE!!). B12 (or better yet, have her family doc give her b12 injects) to help with her energy levels. Ubiquionol or coq12. That's about it.

Last edited:
She will really like B-12 shots. That would be something she could actually feel working.

Actually, it sounds like she should be the one giving us all advice on longevity and health. :)

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rpsly
NapsGear