over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Supplements (or activities) that raise hematocrit

Last edited:
Ive heard others on here confirm the same as you. I too see that when I do more cardio that my hemoglobin doesn't climb as high. Soimetimes I will now go in for my quarterly phlebotomy and not even need it. I think it has helped me. I am now in the process of trying to push my cardio higher.

Well I do plenty of cardio and I have better endurance now than ever. Doesn't do anything to lower my H/H, sadly.

Well I do plenty of cardio and I have better endurance now than ever. Doesn't do anything to lower my H/H, sadly.

For me when I think about it, its more a matter of it keeps my hematocrit from going up as fast as it used to. So instead of needing 5 or 6 phlebotomies a year, I may only need 3 or 4 to keep hemoglobin at around 15.

My theory, once your heart and circulatory system become more developed and efficient then your blood doesn't need more hemoglobin to compensate for oxygen delivery since blood flow is better without needing to have it.

Last edited:
For me when I think about it, its more a matter of it keeps my hematocrit from going up as fast as it used to. So instead of needing 5 or 6 phlebotomies a year, I may only need 3 or 4 to keep hemoglobin at around 15.

My theory, once your heart and circulatory system become more developed and efficient then your blood doesn't need more hemoglobin to compensate for oxygen delivery since blood flow is better without needing to have it.
Plausible theory. But most of the research I've seen suggests that endurance exercise lowers HCT by increasing plasma volume.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3824146/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11914976
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17630597
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1553454

I put a big study up about 10 years ago on this board when I was trying to convince everyone of the same and I just cannot find that post now (study showed how much lower endurance athletes hematocrit was compared to general public)

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/741680-post24.html

Last edited:
I put a big study up about 10 years ago on this board when I was trying to convince everyone of the same and I just cannot find that post now (study showed how much lower endurance athletes hematocrit was compared to general public)

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/741680-post24.html

I am aware of the studies you're referring to. Problem is endurance training isn't always good from a benefits standpoint. Not to mention it is very time consuming.

Do we have evidence that the opposite (more challenging shorter duration cardio) can cause a higher hematocrit? I feel I am very well conditioned right now, but it isn't getting any lower.

Jeff, feel free to answer this too if you know.

IMO, it's not all that bad to have iron be lower than you'd like if you have to have a phlebotomy to lower your HCT. Sure you might not have as much energy, but you'd have less risk.

I have been on TRT for just over 20 years, and I've battled with having high HCT, only to find out a few years ago that I also have hemochromatosis, a condition where iron builds up in the body. So now not only do I have to watch for HCT, I also have to watch for iron. Either way gets me a phlebotomy. The body is a strange thing. My hemochromatosis isn't super bad so at first I had to do phlebotomies one per month until my iron level came down below 50. After that it has been a check every 6 months. If either my iron went above 50 or my HCT went above 51, they'd do a phlebotomy. This past couple of years for whatever reason, I was suddenly having HCT go up to 54-55 constantly, and it would keep going up. Diet hadn't changed, TRT hadn't changed. Had no idea what was causing it. Had to start to be checked every month with phlebotomies as necessary. Iron levels suffered a bit during that time going as low as 14-15. You do what you have to do to survive really. Only in the last few months has it abated, and HCT finally went down to 47. Switched back to a 6 month check. My blood doc still has no idea what happened.

During that time, sure I could have come off my TRT to lower HCT, but then I'd feel like crap without it so that didn't seem like a good option. I chose to control it by having phlebotomies done. I made sure to rest when I had to, but overall, I don't think my training suffered.

Anyway, just my experience.

IMO, it's not all that bad to have iron be lower than you'd like if you have to have a phlebotomy to lower your HCT. Sure you might not have as much energy, but you'd have less risk.

I have been on TRT for just over 20 years, and I've battled with having high HCT, only to find out a few years ago that I also have hemochromatosis, a condition where iron builds up in the body. So now not only do I have to watch for HCT, I also have to watch for iron. Either way gets me a phlebotomy. The body is a strange thing. My hemochromatosis isn't super bad so at first I had to do phlebotomies one per month until my iron level came down below 50. After that it has been a check every 6 months. If either my iron went above 50 or my HCT went above 51, they'd do a phlebotomy. This past couple of years for whatever reason, I was suddenly having HCT go up to 54-55 constantly, and it would keep going up. Diet hadn't changed, TRT hadn't changed. Had no idea what was causing it. Had to start to be checked every month with phlebotomies as necessary. Iron levels suffered a bit during that time going as low as 14-15. You do what you have to do to survive really. Only in the last few months has it abated, and HCT finally went down to 47. Switched back to a 6 month check. My blood doc still has no idea what happened.

During that time, sure I could have come off my TRT to lower HCT, but then I'd feel like crap without it so that didn't seem like a good option. I chose to control it by having phlebotomies done. I made sure to rest when I had to, but overall, I don't think my training suffered.

That's exactly what has happened with me and many other people on TRT or AAS. You probably don't really have hemochromatosis. Your HCT just rises over time just like many of us on TRT.

Makes one wonder if perhaps its an environmental issue that has occured? I mean hell after 20 yrs on trt and poof suddenly ur blood levels are freaking out..... Wonder if perhaps adding in all the supps people *think* are going to help, do eventually lead to issues..... I know if u continue to throw s hit at a problem it either

A. Gets better. OR
B. Gets worse due to having to many variables?

Iv3 been off trt for 1-1.5 yrs and have felt like total shit, and my levels have not come down..... But i also dont cardio, ive been lazy and depressed.... And quit using my apnea machine.... So those variables for me might make a huge difference

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That's exactly what has happened with me and many other people on TRT or AAS. You probably don't really have hemochromatosis. Your HCT just rises over time just like many of us on TRT.

I really wish that was the case, but I really do have it. They do a genetic test to confirm, and I have two bad genes for it, and I've had the high iron show up in labs with some of the typical symptoms of high iron. I'm lucky that it isn't severe.

It's just that I have to balance between taking blood out for either HCT when it goes high or high iron. Most of the time it has been for high HCT leaving me just about anemic.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131