over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Survival

“Naked into the wilderness Ch. 1: Priorities”
There are five given priorities/tasks when one finds themselves in a bad situation in a given landscape. And the whole scope of these articles will assume that there is not a lot of hope for immediate rescue as well as the odds of a doable walk-out for whatever reason being low.

The first two priorities will not be what you think, but after large number of case reviews by a large number of institutions & organizations they are proven.

So there you are. Your in the middle of nowhere for any number of reasons- (you make up the scenario.)

You have no clue which way is home or rescue. You have tracked up the place for the last hours on end to the point of backtracking being practically impossible. You denied the actual degree of the complexity of your situation for so long you have depleted you energy levels, your water levels and perhaps your food/snack levels.

Your soaked with sweat from nervous exertion and anxiety. You have stopped now and standing there in sweat soaked clothing. Your shocked you did not realize you were this cold until now.

Regardless of what your pride says about the following statement, estimates as high as 20% of you “seasoned” outdoorsmen have panicked to the point of throwing away your pack and or weapon and ran wildy & blindly in fear, frequently to the point of significant injury, if not off a bluff in the pitch black darkness.

Welcome to the way it really goes down, when things turn scary “in the woods.” The above paragraph is not creative energies of my mind. It is the basic variation of the “lost” theme for average folk who enter the wilds. (“wilds” can easily be the desert, swamp,____, ____.)

As I said previously I have 10 ++ years in (aircraft based) search & rescue, and have been on several missing craft & person searches. In these venues I was ground team commander, head medic, RO and Field skills Instructor, crash site entry instructor & occasionally FAA photographer.

I also have had instruction at many primitive (survival) skills courses: all this to say I have heard the statistics & actual cases as they occurred in real life, & lessons learned from both sides.

Henceforth: The main initial concern in all things when “lost” is determined and accepted by the individual is for & of PSYCHOLOGICAL BENEFIT.

Do not do yourself the disservice of saying in your best billy-bad-Ass voice that “I’d never panic.” Even as a veteran SAR operator -AND- Primitive skills practitioner there was an occasion I determined I was completely , utterly & hopelessly lost, in failing light, at a most inopportune time, in a most inopportune place during the most inopportune weather. I DID panic. I even broke into a wild run though for only a few paces. I thank God I defaulted to my training and SAT DOWN and proceeded to collect myself. And it was unnerving at what effort that took even. and it happens to many seasoned outdoorsmen yearly.

The priority list:

1.Shelter
Home is where the heart (& mind is.)
The first order of business is to create a shelter. Completion of a shelter establishes a place to exist. It gives some sense of power OVER the circumstances and it provides a home, however temporary and a place to retreat & cope. On the physical plane: statistics show that it is better to create a shelter which preserves internal bodily water & food reserves, (easier to stay warm preserving calories, easier to stay cool preserving hydration) than to fumble around seeking a food & water source in the initial phase.

Once we transition to the instructional sections of this article I’ll give you step by step detail on how to create a water proof, cold proof shelter requiring no tools or string. You’ll only need your hands and what is given freely by the landscape.

2. Fire
Yes in the initial phase Shelter AND Fire are more important than water. Fire really does give some sense of not being alone & a sense of companionship. But the main psychological task of fire is that it incredibly instills a huge sense of confidence to have power over one’s current life and ability to improve one’s current existence. In the movie “Cast Away” actor Tom Hanks started his first fire on the island after failing with a ridiculous hand drill set up and succeeding with the Fire Plow. In the ensuing scene Tom danced gleefully and triumphantly around his fire and made claims & announcement (if you’ll notice –TO- his fire, his companion- directly) of his abilities & achievements in a “conqueror of the world” type demeanor. This was a REALLY WELL researched scene and NOT Hollywood drama. Ask any single person that has created fire by friction (far older than fire by percussion/ spark) and they will tell you they experienced the same EXACT sensation & emotion.

It is simply not describable to explain the emotion of creating something so close to and vital for basic existence. The emotion comes from accomplishing the primeval act VITAL to survival through ancient primitive means.

This sensation is so profound and dramatic that it is the center piece of wilderness therapy for at-risk teens. I worked as a professional backpacker at one of the leading Wilderness Therapy organizations in this country for a few years. I have had countless students tell me that because they created fire (opposed to “lighting” a fire) that they knew they could do anything they set their mind to once back at home in society.

On the physical plain, our fire provides many utilitarian needs. It provides us light and like the lore can protect us from animals. It fire hardens our wooden tools and weapons etc. It burns out our bowls, spoon, cup and even our dugout canoe. But most important in the physical is that it maintains our core temperature as well as cooks our food and boils our water that we would otherwise be STRONGLY tempted to eat/drink in an unsafe condition when obtained had we not ALREADY created fire.
We’ll go over some of the more reliable means of starting fire by primitive means soon.

3. Yes you can finally say it: Water!

4.Food.
Food is good one. So many “cool guy” survivalists will tell you all about snaring techniques. All you have to do is pull wire or string out of your rear end to use those techniques. I again love the look on their faces when I say, yeah, but it’s so much easier to run down a Dandelion! A wise man puts equal or more time into plant knowledge as he does trapping.

6. Utilitarian items.
The one GREAT thing about a survival experience is you have time on your hands. Keeping up with the production of utilitarian items will keep you plenty busy. These include making string, string, string more string and a bunch more string as well as weapons, tools, more trap parts, clothing, footwear, etc

that was copied from another site

That's great GS! Strongly suggest practicing so you know what to do when you need too.

So...Where exactly are those 32,000 acres? Just in case.....

So...Where exactly are those 32,000 acres? Just in case.....

South Mississippi and you are more than welcome to stay as long as you pull your weight , but I assure you you would rather try to wire brush a lions ass than try to take whats mine or take from my family.

Humans aren't designed to survive on their own in nature, we are pack animals, in the event of situations like we are considering here, only groups would survive.

If I can't have beautiful women in bubbly hot tubs and giving me pedicures, I don't want to live. Too old for the crap you guys are talking about. If the world as I know it comes to an end, I'll just ease on out with it.

I'm guessing everyone on here enjoys watching the walking dead too? Personally I don't have anything ready to go but I know I should. But I do believe I could survive in such situations without much at hand. In my early teens my friends and I used to go out for a couple days up to a week at a time with just a knife and see how long we could stay comfortably but it was fun. One advantage we had is that we knew the land pretty well, I lived on about 20k acres so we'd just go out at night and walk or take the fourwheelers for about 2-3 hours trying to get lost but we always knew which direction to go to get home so we never really were lost.. Still fun though

Also I'm surprised this hasn't stirred up a bit more controversy.. Natural disasters obviously are a big possibility, especially on a bigger scale than we've seen so far I think.

I'm not too worried about a zombie apocalypse honestly.. I think tv and movies have really fueled that idea to people believing it as a possibility. I'm most worried about some sort of economic collapse, revolt, govt takeover, or some sort of civil war causing the most problems...

Also I'm surprised this hasn't stirred up a bit more controversy.. Natural disasters obviously are a big possibility, especially on a bigger scale than we've seen so far I think.

I'm not too worried about a zombie apocalypse honestly.. I think tv and movies have really fueled that idea to people believing it as a possibility. I'm most worried about some sort of economic collapse, revolt, govt takeover, or some sort of civil war causing the most problems...

I was on the Mississippi Gulf coast (Kiln) for hurricane Katrina and despite what was seen on national news the level of destruction their was far worse than the flooding in New Orleans. We got 22 feet of flood water in an area that hasent been flooded in recorded history and just in the Hancock and Harrison county areas where i spent the majority of my time patroling at first then helping the recovery i will tell you that i have never seen people come together to help one another like that , their was actualy very little crime aside from smaller cases of people "looting" or mor so just rumaging through the destrution. I also know several guys that went to Thailand soon after the tsunami their is 2004 and they said the same thing , very little to no real crime just people trying to help one another survive. Now both of these cases the recovery was relitivly fast considering , people were not totaly homeless for months on end weeks yes but the government was thier pretty fast to stary the rescue ops.
Like Kaladryn said earlier peole are not desgined to be alone and for the msot part its in our nature to group together and help one another and protect our "group" weath that be firghting to protect resources or lending a helping hand.

The economic breakdown is my only real concern another major depression like in the 1920's would get very nasty very fast due in part to the massive over populated nation and the completely piss poor lazy work ethic of the people now , people are more apt to sit on their ass waiting for the government to bail them out or steal from other than pull their wait and be a productive unit , in this case you will be far more likely to have to defend whats yours.

I honestly believe that their is no chance of the US being invaded by anybody (other than illegal imigrants) simply do to the massive ammount ot fire power the citizens have , with an estimated 50 million housholds owing an estimated 250 million guns that make the largest military by far!! (China's military has less than 10 million active troops)

So realy the only zombies im concerned with is the pussy ass liberal dead beat neighbor thats gonna come sniffing for an hand out

I was on the Mississippi Gulf coast (Kiln) for hurricane Katrina and despite what was seen on national news the level of destruction their was far worse than the flooding in New Orleans. We got 22 feet of flood water in an area that hasent been flooded in recorded history and just in the Hancock and Harrison county areas where i spent the majority of my time patroling at first then helping the recovery i will tell you that i have never seen people come together to help one another like that , their was actualy very little crime aside from smaller cases of people "looting" or mor so just rumaging through the destrution. I also know several guys that went to Thailand soon after the tsunami their is 2004 and they said the same thing , very little to no real crime just people trying to help one another survive. Now both of these cases the recovery was relitivly fast considering , people were not totaly homeless for months on end weeks yes but the government was thier pretty fast to stary the rescue ops.
Like Kaladryn said earlier peole are not desgined to be alone and for the msot part its in our nature to group together and help one another and protect our "group" weath that be firghting to protect resources or lending a helping hand.

The economic breakdown is my only real concern another major depression like in the 1920's would get very nasty very fast due in part to the massive over populated nation and the completely piss poor lazy work ethic of the people now , people are more apt to sit on their ass waiting for the government to bail them out or steal from other than pull their wait and be a productive unit , in this case you will be far more likely to have to defend whats yours.

I honestly believe that their is no chance of the US being invaded by anybody (other than illegal imigrants) simply do to the massive ammount ot fire power the citizens have , with an estimated 50 million housholds owing an estimated 250 million guns that make the largest military by far!! (China's military has less than 10 million active troops)

So realy the only zombies im concerned with is the pussy ass liberal dead beat neighbor thats gonna come sniffing for an hand out

G.S. speaking the truth!

I hate to say it, but nuclear terrorism is probably inevitable and it won't just be one nuke going off if it happens, the ensuing chaos and economic damage will be intense. It will also cause police state conditions that will lead to infighting. Scary stuff...

I just meant controversy over some of the government things. Thats good to hear about katrina though, that is definitely not what the news focused on. But I just thought more about some of the bad government ideas and possibly conspiracy theories would come out.

I just meant controversy over some of the government things. Thats good to hear about katrina though, that is definitely not what the news focused on. But I just thought more about some of the bad government ideas and possibly conspiracy theories would come out.

Anytime government gets brought up the thread gets locked or shuffled to Discuss World Topics.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws