over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Swearing to feel better

Wynn

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I guess this is one of the reasons why guys in hardcore gyms are bigger.

http://www.reuters.com/article/life...ype=RSS&feedName=lifestyleMolt&rpc=22&sp=true

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Cut your finger? Hurt your leg? Start swearing. It might lessen the pain.
Researchers from the school of psychology at Britain's Keele University have found swearing can make you feel better as it can have a "pain-lessening effect," according to a study published in the journal NeuroReport.

Colleagues Richard Stephens, John Atkins and Andrew Kingston, set out to establish if there was any link between swearing and physical pain.

"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon," says Stephens.

"It taps into emotional brain centers and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain. Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists."

Their study involved 64 volunteers who were each asked to put their hand in a tub of ice water for as long as possible while repeating a swear word of their choice.

They then repeated the experiment using a more commonplace word that they would use to describe a table.

The researchers found the volunteers were able to keep their hands in the ice water for a longer when swearing, establishing a link between swearing and an increase in pain tolerance.

Stephens said it was not clear how or why this link existed but it could be because swearing may increase aggression.

"What is clear is that swearing triggers not only an emotional response, but a physical one too, which may explain why the centuries-old practice of cursing developed and still persists today," he said.

(Writing by Belinda Goldsmith, Editing by Miral Fahmy)

thats a cool find! i generally have a clean mouth. now that i think about it i swear between sets kind of subconsciously. i'll have my metallica blasting and i just finish a heavy work set and i'll say something like "yea muthafucka" and then catch my breath... id on't scream it or anything. i don't think anyone hears me say it... but anyway, thanks for posting. interesting stuff

I read about this recently too.. My high threshold for pain all makes sense now, ha..

Oh yeah, without a doubt it makes me feel better. :)

I've also found throwing things and sometimes breaking stuff makes me feel better when I'm angry as well.

I know a lot of you are thinking "Damn, you have severe anger management issues", but not at all. I find the emotional release makes me feel better. Once I let in out, I don't have that anger inside of me anymore, it's over and done and behind me.

It's always the ones who have bad shit happen to them and just seem to take it in stride that end up walking in somewhere and opening fire with a gun. It's THOSE repressive, silent SOB's that have the anger management issues. They scare the shit out of me.

:D

Oh yeah, without a doubt it makes me feel better. :)

I've also found throwing things and sometimes breaking stuff makes me feel better when I'm angry as well.

I know a lot of you are thinking "Damn, you have severe anger management issues", but not at all. I find the emotional release makes me feel better. Once I let in out, I don't have that anger inside of me anymore, it's over and done and behind me.

It's always the ones who have bad shit happen to them and just seem to take it in stride that end up walking in somewhere and opening fire with a gun. It's THOSE repressive, silent SOB's that have the anger management issues. They scare the shit out of me.

:D

Hahah here is my normal series of events...

1) g/f pisses me off while on phone
2) throw cell phone against hard unmoveable object
3) cell phone breaks
4) pick up pieces of cell phone and realize I am a complete idiot and just made things worse and become futher enraged but this time at myself for being a complete idiot as stated above....

either way the 2 seconds when the cell leaves my hand until it explodes always feels great!!!!!! :p

Hahah here is my normal series of events...

1) g/f pisses me off while on phone
2) throw cell phone against hard unmoveable object
3) cell phone breaks
4) pick up pieces of cell phone and realize I am a complete idiot and just made things worse and become futher enraged but this time at myself for being a complete idiot as stated above....

either way the 2 seconds when the cell leaves my hand until it explodes always feels great!!!!!! :p

ahh happened to me this weekend lol. I'm expecting my new phone today. I became even more pissed when I found out my deductible was rasied to $100 in April.

I have an older phone I no longer use, so I will throw that one instead:eek:

lol, you guys are funny. my nephew does that.
gets mad, breaks toy, realizes he just broke his own toy and crys even louder.:D funniest thing i've ever seen

yea after its all said and done, I really feel foolish. I'm still learning to pick and choose my battles... I like to blame it on me being italian, but i'm not going to make any excuses lol

How many of us stub our toes in the middle of the night and go "oh fiddle stick, I just did it again!"?

Nope. It's normally a nice loud "fuuuuuuuuuck" or something of that sort, followed by punching the wall and now your damn hand hurts. :D

I did something kind of like this for a university once. Hand in ice water, we had to think "vulgar" thoughts. Could be anything (destruction, sex, foul language, etc). Then try it with "happy" thoughts. I went nearly 25% longer with the vulgar thoughts. *shrugs*

we had to think "vulgar" thoughts. Could be anything (destruction, sex, foul language, etc). Then try it with "happy" thoughts. I went nearly 25% longer with the vulgar thoughts. *shrugs*

you must be doing something wrong because sex is a happy thought for me.:p:D

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner