over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Swimming for Cardio

The body loses heat at a highly increased rate in water, which I would imagine woudl require the body to produce more heat to regulate body temperature --> more calories.

My problem with swimming is that I sink like a rock, my legs disproportionately, which makes swimming extremely taxing for any length of time.

Starts to hurt my shoulders in a hurry esp if I worked out any part of my upper body that day.

I swim and run laps in the pool for 15 mins a day 5-6 days a week after weights. It has worked great for me.

FYI. It was the only cardio I did when I lost my 46lbs. It burned fat great for me.

Great job on the 46 lb loss! I put a small group of Bootcampers through a mini obstacle course on the beach with a high knee run in chest deep water immediately after 50 yards of walking lunges and a 220 yard run. Everything has its place and I wanted them to keep moving with a non-weightbearing exercise before finishing with sand bag tosses, back pedals, and a 1 minute isometric squat hold and plank to failure! It was a good way to finish the workout and a great way to start a Friday!

Great job on the 46 lb loss! I put a small group of Bootcampers through a mini obstacle course on the beach with a high knee run in chest deep water immediately after 50 yards of walking lunges and a 220 yard run. Everything has its place and I wanted them to keep moving with a non-weightbearing exercise before finishing with sand bag tosses, back pedals, and a 1 minute isometric squat hold and plank to failure! It was a good way to finish the workout and a great way to start a Friday!

For some reason I don't get bored with pool cardio. I just concetrate on breathing and it goes by quickly. I can't make myself do regular cardio.

Those high knee runs in the water have to really put it to them.

I am not getting on your case bro.... I was just doing the "explaining" part that I get thanked for by members for.... But since you asked...

Originally Posted by Moen
I have no idea what the temperature of swimming pools is but the ones I've been in were rather cold. That in and of itself will make you appear less muscular/more fat/less vascular.
Go sit in a hot jacuzzi for an hour (completely immersed) and tell me you don't look a lot leaner afterwards.
It's the temperature, not the water.

I am not being a smart-ass at all so please do not take this that way, I will just directly answer your question to me. It is different because you said: Sit in jacuzzi for an hour - not swim in it (that would be one big ass and fun jacuzzi though!) and looking leaner afterwards is too different to what I explained to even go into. Oh, and it is the temperature OF THE WATER that is refferenced, that has a very different effect on the body than it being 100 degrees outside (not in the water). Sry, you asked...... I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone, I am trying to help

Haha no problem, I was joking, no hot swimming pools around as far as I know. You could always do HIIT sprints from wall to wall if you have a big jacuzzi though. Imagine that sight :D

the Australian institute of sport is trying to address that. as many female swimmers are now being prescribed land training to combat high fat levels.

"research published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that swimming has no effect on weight loss .

Professor Grant Gwinup compared three exercise programs (walking, cycling and swimming) for three months. Each program began with up to 10 minutes of daily exercise. The length of each workout was increased by five minutes every week.

Test subjects following the walking program lost 17 pounds of weight during the three-month study.
Those following the cycling program lost 19 pounds of weight.
However, subjects following the swimming program actually gained 5 pounds.
In other words, subjects who walked or cycled lost weight, while the swimmers gained weight."

I kinda figured that the cycling would be only slightly more than the walking, but that is really interesting about the swimming.

I'm kind of undecided on the hot water thing. I think I look leaner after cardio, but before I get in the shower. It's probably just the sweat shining me up though, lol. I'll check tonight. :)

-Pack

Last edited:
the Australian institute of sport is trying to address that. as many female swimmers are now being prescribed land training to combat high fat levels.

"research published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that swimming has no effect on weight loss .

Professor Grant Gwinup compared three exercise programs (walking, cycling and swimming) for three months. Each program began with up to 10 minutes of daily exercise. The length of each workout was increased by five minutes every week.

Test subjects following the walking program lost 17 pounds of weight during the three-month study.
Those following the cycling program lost 19 pounds of weight.
However, subjects following the swimming program actually gained 5 pounds.
In other words, subjects who walked or cycled lost weight, while the swimmers gained weight."

Not sure I buy this. :confused: So the people walking dropped 17lbs while swimmers gained 5lbs :eek: I call bullshit on this study. Strange that a whole body excersize (swimming) actually gains weight, doesn't make sense to me

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear