over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Switching routines

cant overtraining be a CNS issue and not necessarily a diet/supplement issue? I dont know any food or AAS that will help a CNS recover

Technically that could mean your diet/recovery isn't recovering quick enough. Just kinda depends how you look at it.

He doesnt mean just doing 225x10 every chest workout; there are ways to bench every workout properly in order to increase effectiveness of the movement. Pushing 1 or 2 rep maxes will not get you strong. You need to properly weight cycle on all compound movements to get the most out of them, not switch grips or do them after flies instead of before. If you are dieting, supplementing, and recovering properly, you will hit your movement's number 90% of the time so that you are always progressing. Kinda like the 5/3/1 training.

He doesnt mean just doing 225x10 every chest workout; there are ways to bench every workout properly in order to increase effectiveness of the movement. Pushing 1 or 2 rep maxes will not get you strong. You need to properly weight cycle on all compound movements to get the most out of them, not switch grips or do them after flies instead of before. If you are dieting, supplementing, and recovering properly, you will hit your movement's number 90% of the time so that you are always progressing. Kinda like the 5/3/1 training.

I've used the core 5/3/1 template for well over a year, and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my lifting years. . .or at least always come back to it. For naturals, this is a great way to train for the long term.

I think if you hit a platuea, then a switch up in routine is a good idea.

I always do the same compounds, mostly same isolations, but when I get stuck, I'll switch up rep-ranges, order of lifts, and number of days a week.

Here is my theory on platuea's and it based off reading DC and Phils and a few others post. If you platuea on Incline, meaning you get to lets say 315 for 5 reps and its consitantly staying there then its time to change the exercises not the routine. Change to decline for a while until you platuea on that and then move back to incline. Which initialy you will be slightly weaker than you were, lets say 275 instead of 315 but then you will push past that 315 mark which means you have probably sparked new growth if you are getting stronger.

Just ny 2 pennies. Its pretty simple if you think about it

I think what people are missing is hitting a plateau has less to do with the exercises and rotation and more to do with diet/active rest periods/ hormones. if you constantly increase food intake because your adding lean mass, and hit a plateau, if you have done everything right the only way to get more growth is to increase hormones.

Also you have what i call a false plateau. thats the only way i can think of to describe it. after several weeks of steady gains i find that i stall out for a period of time, but if i keep plugging away and doing everything correctly eventually something gives way and the gains come again. It also seems to rotate itself, so if i stall on chest this week, maybe 3 weeks later ill stall on bi's. when everything stalls for an extended period of time thats what i consider a true plateau.

Last edited:
Here is my theory on platuea's and it based off reading DC and Phils and a few others post. If you platuea on Incline, meaning you get to lets say 315 for 5 reps and its consitantly staying there then its time to change the exercises not the routine. Change to decline for a while until you platuea on that and then move back to incline. Which initialy you will be slightly weaker than you were, lets say 275 instead of 315 but then you will push past that 315 mark which means you have probably sparked new growth if you are getting stronger.

Just ny 2 pennies. Its pretty simple if you think about it

Or maybe you could reset the weight, work back up to your PR and achieve the same plateau-busting effect.

what do you think about this?

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 588
I see guys wanting to switch routines around every 3-4 months??? Man, it takes 10-20 years to build a physique that you really are proud of and switching around after 3 months.........UNLESS YOU ARE OVER TRAINING.........is silly. IF you are overtraining, then you should be on a DIFFERENT PROGRAM ALL TOGETHER.......train hard, heavy, recover, not overtrain, avoid injuries, compound movements.......why change? THe only thing that SHOULD CHANGE is the weights getting heavier and heavier....so do that. DOes that come with changing from bench presses to flies? From squats to extensions? No way.........dont fool yourself. IF you are stronger from not benching or squatting for a period, then you were overtraining......period.

My wifes iPad wont let me multi-quote... Iwanted to also quote Phils last post....

If your goal is to bench 500 then yes, you will always do that movement, BUT, with different sets/reps regimens (and some ancillary exercises like close grip, etc). The powerlifters i grew up watching handle some massive weight pretty much always did the same exercises, again though, they would just vary/adjust their volume and intensity according to their goals.... And these men were nothing short on muscle either

This both posts shall be a sticky in the header of all BB's foruns.

So true...

I am confused, what is this graph saying?

1) most studies don't follow an athlete long enough to make long term observations/conclusions

2) strength increases the quickest over nueral adaption and hypertrophy

3) you will eventually level out and have to up hormones :eek:)

Or maybe you could reset the weight, work back up to your PR and achieve the same plateau-busting effect.

This could work also. Sometimes its nice to switch up an exercise everyonce in a while too.

Are you in High School? Some people, maybe not you, no matter what they do, will never bench 500 pounds.......but I can guarantee you it will be easier doing it the way I described earlier than switching up and down from flies to pec des, etc.........

Ok then maybe I misread initially, from bench press to flys is unreasonable and directionless, but sooner or later you will have to switch from flat bench to something else similar another compound movement obviously or you will develop weakpoints that could lead to injury right?

Why on GODS's green earth do people try and make the process of building muscle so damn complicated??? for the life of me i have never understood this! I think phils post was simple and to the point, this thread could have just ended with that single post cause it was ON POINT! good thread phil and thank you!!!! this thread is pulling the board back to what it should be, 85% of the threads on this main board right now are fucking retarded!
this thread is refreshing! and quite simple. I think a mod should move this to the newbie section and put it as a sticky cause a lot of up and comers could learn a thing or two from this thread and your original post!!!!! :headbang:

I think another big problem is the fact that majority of people dont log their workouts which completely goes against what we know makes a muscle grow. PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD = Growth and/or some time of adaptation. so how can you possibly achieve this endless you log every workout

or

if your changing your workout every 1-3 months

Why on GODS's green earth do people try and make the process of building muscle so damn complicated??? for the life of me i have never understood this! I think phils post was simple and to the point, this thread could have just ended with that single post cause it was ON POINT! good thread phil and thank you!!!! this thread is pulling the board back to what it should be, 85% of the threads on this main board right now are fucking retarded!
this thread is refreshing! and quite simple. I think a mod should move this to the newbie section and put it as a sticky cause a lot of up and comers could learn a thing or two from this thread and your original post!!!!! :headbang:

Right on bro :headbang:

that's what's up right there:headbang:

I have made more and better gains this year than I ever have. I did not keep a log book, was not paranoid about every ounce or grams of food. I went in the gym trained smart and hards, heavy negatives, very controlled movements, ass to ankle squats, more majoy compound movement, kept it simple and enjoyed life. :headbang:

Thanks to Phil

Ive been working with Phil now for about 2 months and realized as everyone has said i was making this whole process way to complicated ive been doing the same movements for 2 months and am making better gains than ever Thanks Phil

I think a lot of the overtraining, drop sets, isolation and all that BS people do is just because people gets blinded by the pump and the next days soreness... taking those as the only indicators of a job well done has done nothing good for bosybuilding

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws