over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Switching routines

PHIL HERNON

Banned
I see guys wanting to switch routines around every 3-4 months??? Man, it takes 10-20 years to build a physique that you really are proud of and switching around after 3 months.........UNLESS YOU ARE OVER TRAINING.........is silly. IF you are overtraining, then you should be on a DIFFERENT PROGRAM ALL TOGETHER.......train hard, heavy, recover, not overtrain, avoid injuries, compound movements.......why change? THe only thing that SHOULD CHANGE is the weights getting heavier and heavier....so do that. DOes that come with changing from bench presses to flies? From squats to extensions? No way.........dont fool yourself. IF you are stronger from not benching or squatting for a period, then you were overtraining......period.

If you are saying that if I want to bench 500 pounds in my lifetime, (decline, incline,flat or whatever) that I should just countinue benching for the next 20 years or whatever until I get to that point, then I disagree with you.

Great advice !

Question

If you are saying that if I want to bench 500 pounds in my lifetime, (decline, incline,flat or whatever) that I should just countinue benching for the next 20 years or whatever until I get to that point, then I disagree with you.

Are you in High School? Some people, maybe not you, no matter what they do, will never bench 500 pounds.......but I can guarantee you it will be easier doing it the way I described earlier than switching up and down from flies to pec des, etc.........

I see guys wanting to switch routines around every 3-4 months??? Man, it takes 10-20 years to build a physique that you really are proud of and switching around after 3 months.........UNLESS YOU ARE OVER TRAINING.........is silly. IF you are overtraining, then you should be on a DIFFERENT PROGRAM ALL TOGETHER.......train hard, heavy, recover, not overtrain, avoid injuries, compound movements.......why change? THe only thing that SHOULD CHANGE is the weights getting heavier and heavier....so do that. DOes that come with changing from bench presses to flies? From squats to extensions? No way.........dont fool yourself. IF you are stronger from not benching or squatting for a period, then you were overtraining......period.

But Phil, dont i have to CONFUSE THE MUSCLE, and do tricep kick backs facing west in a blue shirt every 3rd week on thursday but only for 4 weeks before my body gets used to it and i have to switch to the balance ball kick squats?

HAhahahha

But Phil, dont i have to CONFUSE THE MUSCLE, and do tricep kick backs facing west in a blue shirt every 3rd week on thursday but only for 4 weeks before my body gets used to it and i have to switch to the balance ball kick squats?

I am confused........I think so, no.:) But, to each their own........I have seen Ronnie Coleman squat for 20 years now......no getting around it.....

Great advice phil :)

Specific goals, specific training

My wifes iPad wont let me multi-quote... Iwanted to also quote Phils last post....

If your goal is to bench 500 then yes, you will always do that movement, BUT, with different sets/reps regimens (and some ancillary exercises like close grip, etc). The powerlifters i grew up watching handle some massive weight pretty much always did the same exercises, again though, they would just vary/adjust their volume and intensity according to their goals.... And these men were nothing short on muscle either

moral of the story?

Keep It Simple Stupid

if you want to bench 500 theres a few things you need to do. get your bench up in the low 400's for reps. how? buy increasing the weight you use every week for a given number of reps, for a LONG LONG time. dont overtrain, find a balance between volume and frequency that allows you to train a muscle more often but with just enough volume to illicit a growth response. carefully choose your other exercises for Tri's, shoulders. getting these stronger with the right exercises will greatly help you.

Second get HEAVY. i mean physically heavy with muscle. more muscle = stronger.

and it really is that simple. yeah your going to have to manipulate hormones unless your just one of those people meant( read, physically designed) to have a naturally freaky strong bench. but time is the key here, it takes a long long time.

I think Phil is trying to say...a lot of people make this thing too complicated. They think from switching their routine they will shock the body into new growth and look like a pro in the next year.

if you havent been gaining regularly....and i dont mean 50lb on your bench every week...then you prolly need to find another way.

Bodybuilding is a marathon, not a sprint. I have been guilty of wanting it too much too fast just because you see people like Cutler at 270lb at 22 yr old but thats him. not everyone is like that. for some its gonna take 15 or 20 years to get the type of muscle they want.

Phil honestly, you havent changed you routine much right? Isnt it pretty much the same as when you started? and didnt people want to know your secret to growth because it worked so well? Not asking you to give out info, but hard work and consistency....wasnt that the real key?

the issue is inconsistancy.. if you are switching routines incessantly then there is no way that movement can progress to its full potential.. yes, switching movements makes ya sore.. so what.. going back to that movement is starting from scratch again..

the only time to switch around is from absolute boredom .. where you just dont look forward to the gym anymore.. than it is a welcome break..

the whole muscle confusion in itself is kinda silly,, muscle does not have a brain lol.. but a new exercise can "excite" the central nervous system making that new exercise beneficial..

but never forget.. if you respond well to the decline press and it gives you great pec growth it should be done the vast majority of the time.. switching to "inferior" exercise for you is silly.. find the movements you get the most out of and stick to them.. until you are absolutely sick of them.. if not.. never switch lol.. kinda like marriage..;)

TRUE

the issue is inconsistancy.. if you are switching routines incessantly then there is no way that movement can progress to its full potential.. yes, switching movements makes ya sore.. so what.. going back to that movement is starting from scratch again..

the only time to switch around is from absolute boredom .. where you just dont look forward to the gym anymore.. than it is a welcome break..

the whole muscle confusion in itself is kinda silly,, muscle does not have a brain lol.. but a new exercise can "excite" the central nervous system making that new exercise beneficial..

but never forget.. if you respond well to the decline press and it gives you great pec growth it should be done the vast majority of the time.. switching to "inferior" exercise for you is silly.. find the movements you get the most out of and stick to them.. until you are absolutely sick of them.. if not.. never switch lol.. kinda like marriage..;)

If you are bored nothing will work........good point.

I like this thread but it doe smake me wanta ask :)

If someone were to say ... pick 3 of their favorite exercises for a muscle then do the first until they failed to either increase the weight or the reps then switched to their 2nd repeat the process then the 3rd when they failed again ...

Making them not want to lose their "favorite" to give it all they have?

Ha ha

Just kidding, I feel what your saying, just thought I would throw that in :)

A female client of mine contacted me yesterday, telling me that a trainer at her gym has been harassing her, telling her that she'll stop progressing if she doesn't switch up her program every few weeks. I just laughed.

I think if you hit a platuea, then a switch up in routine is a good idea.

I always do the same compounds, mostly same isolations, but when I get stuck, I'll switch up rep-ranges, order of lifts, and number of days a week.

EXZACTLY

I think if you hit a platuea, then a switch up in routine is a good idea.

I always do the same compounds, mostly same isolations, but when I get stuck, I'll switch up rep-ranges, order of lifts, and number of days a week.

Thats my point.........you are doing something wrong or you would not need extra days off......a plateau is a diet/supplement issue, not a movement issue..or an order of lifts issue

Very interesting.... I hit a plateau. Tried everything to bench more than what it plataeaued at. Nothing worked. This went on for many many months. Same size, same weight moved. I've been putting all my research lately into my diet. My diet was a mess. As I'm learning more and more with my diet I noticed I started growing again. And my lifts went up again and is still slowly going up. It was my diet causing the whole thing when I thought it was something in my workout routine.

I think Phil is spot on again with this one. Looks at guys 20-30 years ago. There wasn't DC training, or FST-7 training or any of that stuff. Guys knew how to eat, sleep, train, they had their ducks in a row, and they gave it 100%. Simple.

cant overtraining be a CNS issue and not necessarily a diet/supplement issue? I dont know any food or AAS that will help a CNS recover

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131