advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Taking Probiotics while on Antibiotics??

renewlyf

Featured member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was informed yesterday that i have whooping cough:( I thought that was only for small children. Had a cough and minor flu like symtoms for weeks now. I just though it was from all the dust from the storms here in AZ. I finally went to Dr after almost passing out in the shower coughing. The Dr put me on a antibiotic (clarithromycin). I know that antibotics kill the good and bad bacteria in the body. Should I take probiotics while taking the antibiotics or wait until after??

Now

Hey R, sorry to hear about the health, I can co-miserate as years ago I caught a "childhood" illness too... Pertussis... I seriously thought I cracked a rib coughing so hard.

So, yes, take them now to answer you... My suggestion-
1) 1 cup kefir twice a day
2) MAKE SURE to have TWO hours between antibiotic and kefir though... It can actually cause worse GI problems taking them close together.

I think kefir is better than probiotics as you get such a blend of PB's with Kefir (along with some extra high protein... Trader Joes has a lot more protein than most and a low fat version az well).

I would NOT take probiotics while taking antibiotics.
Here is why....
For antibiotics to work, they bind to the cell wall of bacterium or they are consumed by the bacterium and bind to enzymes inside of the cell.
If you flood your GI tract with bacteria and take antibiotics there is less available to be absorbed and work on the bacteria you are actually trying to kill.

Feel free to resume taking probiotics after your course of antibiotics are done.

AND, if your probiotics are sensitive to your antibiotics then you are wasting your money by killing them with the antibiotics.

Yes and no...

I would NOT take probiotics while taking antibiotics.
Here is why....
For antibiotics to work, they bind to the cell wall of bacterium or they are consumed by the bacterium and bind to enzymes inside of the cell.
If you flood your GI tract with bacteria and take antibiotics there is less available to be absorbed and work on the bacteria you are actually trying to kill.

Feel free to resume taking probiotics after your course of antibiotics are done.

AND, if your probiotics are sensitive to your antibiotics then you are wasting your money by killing them with the antibiotics.

In the medical field we routinely suggest probiotics with antibiotics Philthy (along with many studies to support the benefit)... but, as I said, the TIMING IS KEY, otherwise, as you stated more harm comes. So, you are right, in one sense, it all depends on how they are taken :)

**broken link removed**
Probiotics in prevention of antibiotic associated diarrhoea: meta-analysis -- D'Souza et al. 324 (7350): 1361 -- bmj.com
Use of probiotic Lactobacillus preparation to prevent diarrhoea associated with antibiotics: randomised double blind placebo controlled trial -- Hickson et al. 335 (7610): 80 -- bmj.com

Thanks guys,

I actually start my mornings with a shake containing kefir.
1 cup kefir
1 cup papaya juice
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3 whole cage free eggs
Handful of frozen pineapple and blueberries
3tbs vanilla LBAs
Delicious!

Pertussis is the medical name for what I have. I guess they also refer to it as whooping cough. I really haven't felt that bad mostly tired and mild flu symtoms other than 1st thing in the am I would spend a 1/2 hour in a hot shower coughing up a lung.

Hey R, sorry to hear about the health, I can co-miserate as years ago I caught a "childhood" illness too... Pertussis... I seriously thought I cracked a rib coughing so hard.

So, yes, take them now to answer you... My suggestion-
1) 1 cup kefir twice a day
2) MAKE SURE to have TWO hours between antibiotic and kefir though... It can actually cause worse GI problems taking them close together.

I think kefir is better than probiotics as you get such a blend of PB's with Kefir (along with some extra high protein... Trader Joes has a lot more protein than most and a low fat version az well).

Thanks guys,

1 cup kefir
1 cup papaya juice
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3 whole cage free eggs
3tbs vanilla LBAs
Delicious!

Pertussis is the medical name for what I have. I guess they also refer to it as whooping cough. I really haven't felt that bad mostly tired and mild flu symtoms other than 1st thing in the am I would spend a 1/2 hour in a hot shower coughing up a lung.

Been reading a lot about kefir....do you make your own? Supposed to be WAY better health-wise than store-bought. I'm planning on starting to ferment my own after I get done with the contest I'm 2 weeks out from

no...

Been reading a lot about kefir....do you make your own? Supposed to be WAY better health-wise than store-bought. I'm planning on starting to ferment my own after I get done with the contest I'm 2 weeks out from

Too lazy :eek:

Good luck in the contest... looking thick man.

It SUCKS

Thanks guys,

1 cup kefir
1 cup papaya juice
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3 whole cage free eggs
3tbs vanilla LBAs
Delicious!

Man... I would go into a coughing fit/spasm and just cough for minutes... HARD... sometimes even throwing up... sound asleep at night, and WHAM, coughing fit wakes me... went on for WEEKS, really wore me out (but, I was stupid and didn't see a doc <although I'm a nurse :eek:> and didn't get meds).

Man... I would go into a coughing fit/spasm and just cough for minutes... HARD... sometimes even throwing up... sound asleep at night, and WHAM, coughing fit wakes me... went on for WEEKS, really wore me out (but, I was stupid and didn't see a doc <although I'm a nurse :eek:> and didn't get meds).

The call from the Dr. was a relief. Like I said at first I thought the cough was related to the dust from the dust storms in AZ. At the time the cough started I increased my cardio 20-30 mins 1st am and cut back on my carbs but just about 50grams lower. I was working out and just kept getting weaker every day and I thought it was caused from the minor changes I stated above. I was getting very frustrated. Didn't miss a work out though. I would caough for a 1/2 hour in the shower get all the crap out jump on my mtn bike get 30 mins in and hit the gym at luch time.

Crazy as I'm typing this the County Health Dept called me regarding my condition. I guess there is some epidemic of this. They wanted to know where I've been if I was around anyone that showed signs of the disease. I'm supposed to quarantine myself for the next 5 days. Wholy Crap!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131