over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Taking time off from the gym after a competition

getbig212

Registered
Hello everyone, I am wondering what everyone's input is on taking time off from the gym after doing a competition. Do you take one full week off? Do you have a light training week then go back into hitting it hard? Do you take 2 full weeks off? A month off? I want to hear what everyone's input is. In the past taking time off I never come back stronger. I always come back weaker right away but get right back to where I was fairly quickly. I also think that it helps mentally to give yourself a break.

What's everyone's input on time off from the gym after a show or just after training hard for a long time in general?

I've always taken a couple of days and trained only what I wanted to the week after the show. Don't stick to a schedule or a routine the week following the show is what I'm saying. You're body will recover fairly quickly. It's your head that needs the recovery time.
Peace,
M2M:cool:

I've always taken a couple of days and trained only what I wanted to the week after the show. Don't stick to a schedule or a routine the week following the show is what I'm saying. You're body will recover fairly quickly. It's your head that needs the recovery time.
Peace,
M2M:cool:

This is what I've been told and last year after competing, the week after, my mom died and it tool three weeks to get back in the gym......I felt it did me wonders to be out that long.

since im getting married the following weekend ill prob hit a few days of blood volume training with light cardio so i keep my appetite up for cake and food:)

I did a powerlifting meet last year and took one week off afterwards. This year I made the mistake of taking a month+ off after my meet. A month is too long at least for me.

Well I pulled a ronnie coleman I did 2 show back to back over 20 total weeks worth of diet ended up with bad tendonitis in my wrist and could not workout took almost 3 months to become tolerable. The time off just helped me not hurt me. I went up 15 lbs over my off season of last year and the same BF so I think the time off just helps ya.

I think its all personal, depends how you feel post-show. Preferbly id like to get my head clear first, man you start to go crazy post comp, i only will train the first couple days if i actually feel like training....not because i think i HAVE to train

I think its all personal, depends how you feel post-show. Preferbly id like to get my head clear first, man you start to go crazy post comp, i only will train the first couple days if i actually feel like training....not because i think i HAVE to train

X2 ^^^^^^........when I said I took a month off earlier, that was a month from structured diet and training. During that month I did everything instinctive and plan on doing the same thing after my next contest.

I always took 1-2 weeks off and then came back fresh. That first week after the show is brutal and i could never get much training done during this time. After 2 weeks off i usually feel great again and once i hit the gym i'm back to 100% and making gains.

-Premium

Time Off

I've always noticed that I go thru a growth spurt for the next 6 weeks after a show. All the gear-stuff is still in your system, so why not take advantage of it. Plus add in some good healthy eating, not prep eating, but good clean food and a lot of it.

Maybe at the 6 week point, your body could use some time off. Mentally I'm amped up because I look forward to some different training, less cardio, etc, plus I'm growing.

I limit myself to 10-12 pounds over contest weight (not stage weight) year round. Have done the 40 pound thing, but don't prefer to to put on that much fat.

Just not good for your body, that is, putting on the 40 or having to drop 40 to get into condition. IMO.

Peace,

Mack

I limit myself to 10-12 pounds over contest weight (not stage weight) year round. Have done the 40 pound thing, but don't prefer to to put on that much fat.

Just not good for your body, that is, putting on the 40 or having to drop 40 to get into condition. IMO
Mack
I agree with this, as I try to stay 20 -30, but when I am backstage and seeking out those that are the top dogs to rap with, they are always saying they are coming down from 40 -50
maybe they lie, maybe not, but they are usually a different breed of human. they are impossibly thick and I believe it only comes with carrying around that weight and improving it as the years go on.
? ?? ?
I have tried both ways. I like to stay leaner, but sometimes makes me think I should not care and just go for it for a good 18-24 months and then unveil
maybe it is long esters, gh bloat, maybe fat, maybe bs.

After dehydrating and taking diuretics for a show, this is when you are most susceptible to injury. I tore my lat training a few days after my show. I intellectually know that a week off is the smartest thing, giving your body time to replenish nutrients, glycogen, electrolytes, etc., but I am never smart enough to do so. A few months ago I took an entire week off from the gym. It was the first time I had done this in 25 years, with the exception of the 9 days I missed after hernia surgery. The doctor tried to make me promise to take a month off, but I couldn't do it. Anyway, the week I took off a few months ago was the best thing ever. My injuries healed up and I came back stronger than I had been in 2 years.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting